WnSoft Forums

Finding my video file

I have made my first edited video, all of two minutes long (1'56). The idea was to drop it into PTE De Luxe 7.0 Beta 1 and play it as an exe. file inserted between the usual still images. For some reason when I use PTE to go to find my video (which is stored currently both on the desk top and on an external drive), PTE will recognise either still images and the original movie clips but not the saved video file (MPEG 2 as recommended by Lin). Can anyone tell me why this is and how to find and insert the video file?

Hello Robert!

Please tell me what file extension of edited video clips?

I recommend use DIVX, XVID, MPEG4-ASP or MPEG2 format (.avi or .mpg file extension).

Also I recommend install the latest Beta 9 of version 7.0. It has much more features and functions than Beta 1. And improved support of video clips.

Hello Dave and Igor,

The movie was edited in Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0. I have now downloaded PTE Beta 9 but it still does not recognise the file type - saved as an MPEG-2.m2t. The Save options given by Sony Vegas for MPEG-2 are all in one bracket (.mpg,.m2v,.m2t,.mpa). Ian Bateman was also unable to put the file into PTE using his laptop, although the movie file projected OK to our club. I would much prefer to present it, not as a Nero movie file, but from PTE.

Hey, Lin, that's clever. PTE now recognises the file. The renaming of the file has fooled PTE into thinking that an HD .m2v file is a low resolution .mpg file.

I think this should be considered a bug. PTE doesn't seem to recognise common file formats for Blu-ray. All the Blu-ray codecs in Sony Vegas Platinum (for MPEG-2) specify .m2v. There are 6 listed in Vegas Platinum at 1440x1080 and 3 at 1920x1080 - 3 each at 24p,50i and 60i. (I would welcome expert comment on whether this reflects industry standards).

Why my concern about Blu-ray? The purpose in using PTE with video is to be able to mix still and moving images with no diminution of quality when the production switches between movie and stills. This is successfully achieved operating all content at 1920x1080 progressive (movie) and 1920x1080 px (stills). It projected superbly (from the video file) on a 12' widescreen last night in Wantage.

So Igor has cracked the technology but it seems to me that the identification of file formats needs revision. Do you agree ?

Hi Robert,

Since it's still pretty early beta, there will probably be changes along the way. I suspect Igor will eventually, before the release, add to the extensions which are recognized. It's good that you can use the files now at least. Sometime soon, there will be a conversion feature in the later betas and they may recognize the newer formats.

Best regards,

Lin

Robert,

Please send me short sample file which was not recognized by PicturesToExe initially.

I think the program supports it, but we have to add one more file extension to the known-formats list.

We use ffmpeg video library which contains decoders for almost all video formats.

Thanks Lin and Igor

I have sent Igor by YouSendIt the first 30 seconds of the video .m2v.

Since Sony Vegas Platinum is a popular video editing program (£25 only in UK), it might be worth Igor considering buying it to see how files are used and saved for output.

Robert,

Thank you for the sample file!

We'll add support of .m2v and .m2t formats in following beta versions.

I'll download trial version of Sony Vegas to try produced video clips with PicturesToExe.

However there will be one restriction for .m2v files. Usually .m2v file (only video stream) comes with .m2a vile (audio stream). We'll not support such dual files and there will be no sound when you add .m2v file. If you need audio stream please add .mpg file.

Thanks, Igor, I'm glad the file arrived with you OK.

Good to see you are adding .m2v and .m2t formats to future beta versions; also a very good idea to look at Sony Vegas - it is a well regarded editing programme for video. (There is also a much more expensive Professional version). Sony, of course, invented Blu-ray - which may be the future for HD users of PTE.

I did experience the audio problem you mention. I was able to get round it by adding sound to the .m2v video file from my original Adobe Audition sound editing software.