WnSoft Forums

Safe TV Zone

JEB

Hi,

Can anybody say how relevant the "Show safe TV zone" facility is in the following circumstance?

Show is created with a screen aspect ratio of 16:9, image ratio 16:9 and TV monitor 16:9.

Also, have I missed something or has "Aspect Ratio of a slide" been removed from Project Options/Screen in 7.9? I confess to have been keeping my head down in recent weeks!

John

John,

If your TV is a modern digital, flat-screen one I suspect that the TV safezone is largely irrelevant. I now build to 1920x1080 and place a 3 pixel border on each image. So far, I have always seen the entire image area on my 37" LCD TV. And you'll find the aspect ratio field is on the Project Options...Main tab now.

regards,

Peter

O.K.

This is where I have to expose my ignorance!

Im not entirely sure what either of you are describing.

What I do is from Create I select DVD - Video Disc. Using PTE's burning software I end up with a DVD that can then be played back through my DVD Player onto my TV. I haven't had occasion to do this for a while but I think that's all there is to it. I can of course burn several shows onto the same DVD and the PTE program provides a menu facility. My original question regarding the Aspect Ratio of 16:9 being shared by my images/PTE/TV as far as I can recall appeared not to present any issues, though as I say it is some time since I actually did this. If I understand you Dave this is what you are referring to. If so what is likely to be the problem?

Peter, am I correct in assuming that what you are describing is some method whereby a TV with a USB port and some sort of technology can read the data on the USB stick. Presumably this data is the AVI file option in PTE/Create.

John

Most new HD TV sets will include a "Media Player" which allows you to plug in a USB key and play Video / Audio / Images. It will NOT allow you to play EXE files.

So, instead of creating DVDs we create H.264 MPEG4 files and play them via the TVs Media Player.

File sizes are pretty big - typically 1Gb or bigger - and are created via the HD Video for PC menu.

I think that the TV Safe Zone is about 92% (?) and that if you are making a 16:9 show you should UNTICK the Fixed Size of Slide box.

DG

Dave,

I think that makes things a little bit more clear. Though my TV is flat, wide screen I don't think it is HD hence no USB port. I was about to do a little test and have just discovered that my DeLuxe license has expired so have sent off for an update on disc which will take a few days to reach me. The option to purchase on CD appeared to suggest that that was in addition to a download (though I may have picked that up incorrectly) so I'll just have to wait!!! No rush as I've not used the facility in months.

In the meantime thanks both of you for your replies.

John

John,

If you don't want the expense of a new HD TV try looking around for a secondhand Western Digital or Iomega Media Player.

There must be a lot of redundant units for sale these days.

The downside of these units is the extra leads necessary.

DG

Gentlemen,

I thought I should update you on my progress and then ask another question!!

Firstly, my assumption that I would have to wait for the CD to arrive from Wnsoft was ill-founded. An email arrived with download instructions and key, so I have been able to carry out my tests using 7 beta 9.

I have arrived at the conclusion that for my set up I have to reduce to 90% to avoid clipping edges.

I still don't understand why but I'm sure there is a good reason which is beyond my comprehension!

Dave, to my subsidiary question, regarding your suggestion of the use of a Media Player Box.

What I don't understand is what exactly it offers me given that my TV is not HD.

Obviously I do have a DVD player connected to my TV which I use to view DVD's produced by PTE as we have been discussing.

I have had a look at a spec for an Iomega Media Player on Maplin's site and for only £50 it's not expensive. But what does it do for me?

Does it in some way improve the quality of image on my non HD TV? I assume that it is not in itself a DVD player but sits between my existing DVD player and TV - correct?

Your explanation would be much appreciated.

Regards

John

CORRECTION _ It was not an Iomega box I was looking at but a Viewsonic HD Mdedia Player. I searched for Iomega and failed to check what I was presented with!!

John,

Apologies - if your TV is NOT 1920x1080 I don't really know what the result would be.

Theorizing here - if your TV is wide screen but NOT 1920x1080 the Media Player would "possibly" play a Full HD PTE MPEG4 file interpolated down to your TV resolution.

This is far better than Interpolating a PAL DVD output UP to your screen resolution.

Thinking out loud - if your TV is not full HD it is (possibly) not going to have an HDMI input so once again the Media Player would not be of much benefit. It looks as though you are stuck with the DVD approach!

Two questions:

What is the resolution of your existing wide screen TV?

Are you thinking of upgrading your TV anytime soon?

Maybe someone with a Media Player can offer some info on their output options?

DG

P.S. To buy a NEW Media Player you would have to spend around £100. IMHO that money would be far better spent on a new HD TV which would have the facilities you require.

An example:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230950649/Product.aspx

I have been using a media player for about 3 years now. Can do without anymore. Since last november I have a AC Ryan Mini. Before I had a Western Digital.

With both players my MP4's, made with PtE, standard are cut-off about 10%! That is about the size of the safezone. The AC Ryan Mini has a simple option to resize the screen to the exact format of the (HD LED) TV. And now there is nomore loss. Being there as an option (I have seen more media pleyers with this option) it proves this is a problem, I guess.

I have no experience with MP4's direcly plugged in my TV.

regards,

André

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your continued input.

First the not so good news. My TV is NOT 1920 x 1080 but 1366 x 768. I don't know how I thought otherwise. I suspect that I established at some point that it was the same aspect ratio ( very close) as my monitors and camera (all 1920x1080) and allowed myself to believe the resolution was also the same! Wishful thinking!

The better news is that I contacted Sony and they tell me that my TV has HDMI 1080i input but I have to get an HDMI cable rather than the Scart cable I presently have to connect my FreeSat box and TV and I'm in business. Once I have done that I can properly address the PTE issue.

Thank you all for your gentle probing!

"Softly, Softly, Catchee Monkey"

John