WnSoft Forums

PTE on TV - Now Resolved

Barry Beckham

I know many of you on this site are old hands at this, but today I tried for the first time to link my new laptop to the flatscreen TV in our caravan via a HDMI cable. I find I can get a picture OK, but no sound. I asssume that sound does not travel down a HDMI cable.

I therefore took a mini jack cable from the output of the laptop to the input of the TV, but try as I might, I cannot get sound out of the TV and its just too quiet from the PC alone. Has anyone else experenced this and can point me in the right direction please

Barry

you have to play around with the sound card settings

i cant tell you the exact settings but there are 3 different settings on my realtek audio manager

-- i use the mob sound card - no 3rd party graphics or sound card on my latest build -- to save me time and fiddlin about i have speakers connected to the audio out of mob then i have a 3.5 mm feed from the head phone jack of said speakers to a Sony boom box c/w remote control and it feeds another set of amplified speakers mounted close to my ws tv - works great

- Sony has line in and out connections- so if i want to view a show on 37" tv via hdmi. i select hdmi 2 on tv and with boombox remote, swing from radio to line in and the line out is connected to amplified speakers and i view the show and adjust volume withe the Sony's remote - sounds complicated but nothing is hardwired and seves my needs

ken

Well, I have looked at the sound setting of the laptop isolated from the TV and I can't see anything that gives me a clue what the problem is. The picture quality is great but I don't get sound on anything when connected to the TV, be they videos or a PTE slide show.

Hi Barry,

From past experience I know that you want things as simple as possible ~ particularily in a Caravan.

The 'HDMI-System' is essentially a Home-Video System which requires your Slideshows presented to it

in the HDMI-format which is usually the DVD-Format where the Sound-channels are LPCM or MPCM.

It seems as if your sound-channels are in Mp3/Wav which wont work.

You dont say which Audio/Video Format you are using ??.......

The other way is to 'mess-around' with the wiring such as Ken suggested and provide a seperate Amp plus

Speakers particularily if the TV has no sound-input facilities

There is an easier way to get it to work...examine the TV-Set and see if it has a USB-Input or does it have

a Camera-Card input ?? ~ If so slap the whole Show on to a Memory-Pen or onto a SD/MMC/MS Card then

select the 'Media-Program' with your Remote-control...this should work immediately with no loss of apparent

quality.

Brian (Conflow)

HDMI Specs below.

post-1416-0-57703700-1314784852_thumb.gi

Guest Yachtsman1

I know the feeling, I tried all ways to get my PC to operate via HDMI to my Panasonic wide screen TV. One thing that hasn't been mentioned by the others is the cable, from what I believe some HDMI cables are not fully wired, worth a check. I gave up in the end & went back to a VGA lead & external speakers. Now we have moved home the VGA cable is too short :angry: Life's a bitch & then you're dead B)

Yachtsman1.

HDMI definitely carries the sound.

DVI definitely does not carry the sound.

If you have a setup which requires a DVI to HDMI converter cable then you will not get the sound.

Other than that it is down to your laptop settings.

I have never encountered this problem with my aging Sony Laptop and up to date Sony TV - it worked from day 1.

I echo what Brian said: If you have a USB socket on the TV and the TV has a Media Player then there is only a slight (but measurable) difference between playing an H.264 MP4 file via a USB key and playing the EXE via a HDMI connection.

The advantage of the USB route is: NO WIRES!

P.S. when connecting via HDMI is it possible for you to hear the sound from the laptop via earphones - that might prove something? Just saw your original reference to laptop volume - when connected to TV via HDMI my laptop sound DOES NOT PLAY!

P.P.S If you look at PROPERTIES (I'm on Vista) there is a section for SOUND which includes the settings for HDMI playback. Mine tells me that it is "working" and includes (in another Properties section) a Digital Output Device Volume Control. In the ADVANCED section, both of the "Exclusive Mode" Options are ticked.

DG

The HDMI cable is a new one, no convertors from DVI and I had already thought about a small speaker system. The volume on the caravan speakers is not good and in rain conditions it can easily overpower the sound volume, so that may not be a bad option. I think I need to bring the TV inside and have a play. I have plenty of USB cables.

I will also take a closer look at the settings, but I admit I have little tolerance for all this detective work just to get a result that others seem to get easily.

Thanks for the tips so far, I will follow up on them as soon as possible

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

way down page

Maximum cable lengthFor USB 2.0 or earlier, the maximum length of a standard cable is 5 metres (16.4 ft).[32] The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1.5 μs. If USB host commands are unanswered by the USB device within the allowed time, the host considers the command lost. When adding USB device response time, delays from the maximum number of hubs added to the delays from connecting cables, the maximum acceptable delay per cable amounts to 26 ns.[32] The USB 2.0 specification requires cable delay to be less than 5.2 ns per meter (192,000 km/s, which is close to the maximum achievable transmission speed for standard copper cable).[33] This allows for a five meter cable. The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification. For copper wire cabling, some calculations have suggested a maximum length of perhaps 3 m.

ken

Ken,

I'm wondering what he intends to do with USB cables?

USB on computer - input device.

USB on TV - input device.

You can't connect an input device to an input device - won't work!

I was talking about a USB KEY (I use a 16Gb Key) a storage device or maybe a USB External drive can be connected to the TV and an MP4 played from it (NOT an EXE BTW).

If using USB External Drive I can only connect up to 500Gb on my Sony TV - anything bigger is not recognised.

DG

he may be going to connect comp to dvd player c/w usb jack and then to tv

i have 2 wd interfaces that i can connect 2 external hard drives to tv

disco the hard drives and it can read my xp system via network cable

have never tried them on the new box but there is a 1 tb hard drive connected to "the cooler" that is collecting stuff for the future :)

Ronnie West, David "frets"White , and "hawk" got me into them and when they dropped prices to +- $100 i got 2

think Tom Court went the WD route as well

ken

Perhaps I can make it clear what I want to do

We always have a laoptop when we are away in the caravan and we also have a flat screen TV. I don't want to buy or have to carry any more gadgets,

I want to be able to show what I have on the laptop on TV. That may be a WM Video, an Mp4 Videp or a PTE slide show.

When I plug in my 1.5mtr HDMI cable I get picture but no sound when I select HDMI from the TV imput menu

I tried taking a minijack from the laptop to the TV input, but that dodn't work either.

Ken

Its the usual thing with computers, easy when you know how, baffling when you don't, with too many possible causes and solutions to tie you up in knots.

I went to the Sound card and found nothing, but in the control panel under sound, there was a HDMI option that I had to set on default to make it work. When I want to use the laptop sound out of the mini jack socket, I will have to set it back to headphones and speakers

Barry, thanks

that is why i went the route i did

- my next challenge is to connect another camera to the win 7 system and will have to make another decision re the sound -- been holding off to see what MS is going to do with Skype purchase - they may marry it and MS Messenger B)

ken

Ken

Its the usual thing with computers, easy when you know how, baffling when you don't, with too many possible causes and solutions to tie you up in knots.

I went to the Sound card and found nothing, but in the control panel under sound, there was a HDMI option that I had to set on default to make it work. When I want to use the laptop sound out of the mini jack socket, I will have to set it back to headphones and speakers

Same on my Dell XPS Barry... Right click on the speaker in the tray, select Playback Devices... Two shown Speaker/Headphones and HDMI. Make HDMI default, and you are on your way...

Now try to remember to reverse that when you are not using HDMI... ha ha And the debugging renews afresh as you try to find out what happened too your sound!?

Dick