WnSoft Forums

PTE - Good for more than slideshow presentation!

Lin Evans

Lately, I been helping a very talented lady friend build a website to display her art, etc. In the process, I discovered a bug in my web building software which made the pages look odd with Chrome as a browser, but worked perfectly with Internet Explorer and with Mozilla Firefox.

Because the developer has yet to find a correction, I needed a work-around. The problem was that objects such as titles (which are rasterized to insure same image as original font regardless of whether or not the font is resident on the visitor's system) would be out of position on chrome and look very "ragged." Because the pages I needed had no reason to be frequently changed, I elected to instead use JPG's of text and create my own backgrounds with translucency, combined images, fades, decorative text, images with decorative frames, etc.

Doing all this in Photoshop is "possible," but extremely awkward, even for a seasoned and skilled Photoshop technician. But PTE is an absolute jewel for some of these operations. For example, it's possible to bring multiple images into PTE on separate layers including a colored background, etc., and in "seconds" visually create what takes perhaps an hour to accomplish with layers in Photoshop. By quickly manipulating opacity, using masks, etc., it's possible to get amazing creations in seconds. Just be sure your screen resolution is high enough to support the quality you want, then simply turn off navigation and mouse, set the display time for about 30 seconds, hit preview and use your favorite screen capture to capture and save the multi-layer creation as a jpg, etc.

Want to add a png frame to a picture? What if the frame doesn't quite "fit?" Of course in Photoshop you can use the "transform" feature and with enough time and patience, you can surround your picture and manipulate the frame to "fit." However, this is not a simple task and even if you are "very good" with Photoshop, it will take you some time to accomplish. In PTE, it's as simple as holding down the shift key and "dragging" the sides of your png frame to fit. It literally takes seconds to do.

Do you want multiple images masked and appearing at different places in your composition? In Photoshop, this takes a very long time and sometimes it's simply not worth the effort! In PTE, it takes a few seconds to get incredibly good results.

Bottom line? PTE is versatile in many, many ways and can be used for tasks one doesn't normally thing about with a presentation slideshow software product.

Lin

Good "heads-up" - thanks. On a much more mundane note, I use PTE where in the dim and distant past I might have thought of using PowerPoint. PTE is great for preparing photo talks etc. We also use it to present competition images at our camera club.

Like Roger, in a past life I prepared Powerpoint presentations for lecturing and saw that PTE had some distinct advantages in this field.

"We also use it to present competition images at our camera club".

Confirmation of what I refered to in a different thread. http://www.picturest...dpost__p__88196

DG