WnSoft Forums

Remapping missing images/files

fergy

In times past, I did not always collect my images etc into the same folder as my project file, due to not wanting to duplicate images files throughout my computer due to lack of space

I have subsequently upgraded and expanded my storage which has resulted in the images now being held on a different drive, and different folder structure, although with the same actual final folder name.

Now, however when I try to revisit the projects, the files are posted missing. In some cases I have zipped the project top transfer it to another machine, and when unzipped, I have all the files in the same folder, but they are still posted missing, despite now being in the same folder as the project, as the file paths all relate to C:/My Docs/etc rather than K:/My Pictures/etc.

Is there a quick way within PtoE to remap the filepaths, or do I have to go through each image separately, replacing each with the same file in its new location.

I have to admit, I think I am stuffed, but perhaps someone out there may have a quick fix

Ian

PS A related issue with music files is even worse, since I can't fin a way to replace the missing music file with the same file in a different location. I only seem to be able to add the file. I am then copying whatever offset/fades wby looking at originals timings before I delete it, but have start from scratch on any wavbeform envelope changes which were on the original Is there a way of doing a simple replace ?

Hi Ian,

Unfortunately, once the files have been moved, there isn't an "easy" solution, but for your reference in the future; when you want to move a PTE creation to a totally different location, use the internal Zip feature which gathers all necessary files into a single zip archive which can then be unzipped on any drive and on any folder within that drive and PTE will not give you an error because the PTE template file itself is then modified and aware to look for the necessary file within the folder where the archive is placed and extracted.

It is possible, with a text editor, to modify the .pte file to the new file path, but since you had your originals in numerous different locations, that creates a situation where there is probably no real advantage in doing it that way.

As far as I know, there is no way to "replace" a music selection keeping the waveform, envelope, etc., as it was. That's one other good reason right now to use the Zip or Template feature to insure you will always have the files necessary so this won't happen in the future. Perhaps in a later revision, Igor might consider a "replace" feature fro music similar to the one presently available for images.

You said that in some cases you had "zipped" the "project" then moved it but subsequently PTE couldn't find the files. Did you use the internal Zip feature, or did you use an external zip program such as PK Zip? If you used the built-in Zip or Template feature PTE "should" be able to find the files with no problems.

Best regards,

Lin

In times past, I did not always collect my images etc into the same folder as my project file, due to not wanting to duplicate images files throughout my computer due to lack of space

I have subsequently upgraded and expanded my storage which has resulted in the images now being held on a different drive, and different folder structure, although with the same actual final folder name.

Now, however when I try to revisit the projects, the files are posted missing. In some cases I have zipped the project top transfer it to another machine, and when unzipped, I have all the files in the same folder, but they are still posted missing, despite now being in the same folder as the project, as the file paths all relate to C:/My Docs/etc rather than K:/My Pictures/etc.

Is there a quick way within PtoE to remap the filepaths, or do I have to go through each image separately, replacing each with the same file in its new location.

I have to admit, I think I am stuffed, but perhaps someone out there may have a quick fix

Ian

PS A related issue with music files is even worse, since I can't fin a way to replace the missing music file with the same file in a different location. I only seem to be able to add the file. I am then copying whatever offset/fades wby looking at originals timings before I delete it, but have start from scratch on any wavbeform envelope changes which were on the original Is there a way of doing a simple replace ?

Thanks for the advice Lin

My own fault for being too lazy to gather together all of the images in the first place.

The Zip scenario arose when I zipped aproject internally a project and then unzipped on our camera club's laptop. This projuct did have files from different folders, largely sub-folders

All the files were in the unzipped folder, but when the PTE was opened the images were all "missing", and had a file name/path which had my own drive & folder structure

Before taking up any more of your time, I will try to recreate the problem and confirm exactly what I have done.

Then I will be able to let you know if (and it probably will be) operator error is the problem

Again, thanks

- For a particular PTE project: Copy (not move) all media (images, sounds) from all folders containing the ones of your project to a single temporary new folder (no subfolders).

- Copy your PTE project file to this new folder.

- Open the copied project. PTE will find the lost media.

- Use PTE's Zip-export in order to collect exactly the media that are needed by your project.

- Delete the temporary folder.

Regards,

Xaver