WnSoft Forums

Diffrent versions installed

smithrg

Hi PTE friends, I know this has to be a simple thing to do, but I don't know how.

When I download, and install a PTE version, the new download overwrites the older version.(version 7.0.2 overwrote version 7.0.1)

If I want to keep both (or more) versions how do I do this?

Thanks for your help, Gayland.

Simply create and specify a different folder when asked for the folder name during the installation.

However Gayland, 702 is a FULL version and not a Beta. I allowed the overwrite because 702 is an improvement over 701. If things didn't work out I could delete 702 and re-install 701.

All Beta versions install in different folders (I think). I've got a bunch of them that I need to delete.

I have kept 4.49, 5.6, 6.5 and 7 in different folders.

DG

Gayland,

Versions different at the first or second level (e.g. v6 and v7, or v6.0 and v6.5) will install along side each other. Fix level versions that differ only at the third level, e.g. v7.0.1 and v7.0.2, will, by default replace each other. As they are merely fix levels with only very minor functional change, it is usually safe to let them over-write each other. If, however, you really do want to keep them separate, you must select your own folder into which to install them during the installation process. It is also a good practice to keep all the download files. I have the download files for all major versions (first and second levels) from v4.49 onwards. I also have the download files for the highest fix level of each version that I did actually install.

regards,

Peter

Hi Dave and Peter, thanks for your help. I have just been clicking on "OK" with the install window.

I now see I should pay more attention, and select where to place the program.

I too keep all versions now, as I have run into times when I needed to reinstall for various reasons.

Thanks again, for your help, Gayland.