WnSoft Forums

WXGA Projector

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Scanning the net today I came across a new technology Acer projector. The reviews & spec sound quite interesting as does the 20,000, yes twenty thousand hours lamp life. I wondered how my existing shows mostly 4-3 & 5-4 would appear on the projector, would it squash them or would it just show black sides to compensate.

Yachtsman1.

acer_k330-brochure.pdf

I have no recent experience of running sequences through a projector that offers more pixels than my sequences were built with. On the only occasion when it happened, the images were interpolated up to the projector size; but the aspect ratio was preserved - no stretching or squashing. That might have been a consequence of the projector make and model or the computer make and model or the combination of both.

If you have built your sequences with "Fixed size of slide" ticked (Project Options|Screen), I believe that they will not be interpolated at all and will appear at your chosen pixel by pixel size.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks Peter.

I have asked the same question to the supplier Projector Point, but thet haven't replied yet. My existing Sony projector shows my shows normally whether 4-3 or 5-4, but it would be interesting to know what happens at 1280x800 with the Acer.

Regards Eric.

PS All the seasons greetings to you & the group, sorely missed.

Yachtsman1.

Eric

I do not have any expeprience of this, only the playing of slide shows made with a larger resolution than the projectorsize. In that case they all play fine, but I would expect the following will happen the other way around.

Your 1280*1024 slide shows will be restricted to the 800 pixel height of the projector and I would expect the width to remain in proportion. Meaning you would see your 1280*1024 shows OK on that projector, but with black bars left and right. That is not a big issue I don't think, because they are probably less noticeable on projectors than a monitor, because the projected images does not have a plastic edge.

Your 1024*768 pixel images will be expanded slightly if you never ticked the fixed size of slide box, but from 768-800 pixels, I think you would find the result OK. Once again you would have bars either side, but not a problem on projectors. IMHO

The two mock ups are in proportion and what I would expect to see

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Barry

Yes that is what I would expect on a conventiomal projector. However, this one uses slightly different technology with a different type of lamp & the facility of using USB or HDMI to input the raw material. My Sony projector is an XGA DLP machine and shows are not distorted no matter what size they are shown at. I've also used it with my Sony widescreen laptop with no distortion. The reason for looking around, my main 5-4 res laptop is showing signs of failing & unfortunately the market is practically totally widescreen, unless you go for a special build at extortionate costs, so I may have to go that the widescreen route.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

I havwe now had a reply from Projecter point "Hi Eric

The brightness level of the K330 is very low so if you have a business style XGA projector its likely to be brighter than the K330. Your images would not be distorted using a WXGA projector but they would fit inside the 16:10 image - this means they would be slightly less wide when used in 4:3 or 5:4

Yachtsman1