WnSoft Forums

PROBLEMS OUTPUTING AVI VIDEO [SOLVED]

abebes

I have created a PTE project that I want to output in an AVI file format. PTE requires that the output must be burned onto a CD. Why is that necessary??? Besides I don't have a CD Burner and just want to output an AVI file on my H/D and later use a CD burner on another computer to burn the file.

Is there a way around this????? Or have I overlooked something??

abebes,

Is there a way around this????? Or have I overlooked something??

To create a standalone AVI file ... select Create a Custom AVI video file as displayed in the attachment. In this custom senerio select the Video Codec button, then you must select your own compatible Audio & Video Codecs to complete the video file process. You cannot select the PictureToExe Video Codec within the list for this process. I use a MPEG4 codec such as Xvid or Dvix for the video codec.

* The other video options use the PictureToExe Video Codec which requires third party tools/converters to complete the video file process.

* The PictureToExe Video Codec is not a true encoder/decoder codec file. It is just an instruction sheet for third party tools/encoders to use in its final compilation.

post-45-0-17025700-1325502726_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In the following version 7.5 AVI video output will be completely reworked.

There will be 3 main output option:

1) Creating AVI video file with built-in MPEG4-ASP video codec (by default). Encoding is fast. AVI file can be played on any DVD player (SD resolution) or HD quality (PC, HD media players connected to TV, TVs with USB).

2) Virtual AVI file (as presently)

3) AVI file with custom video & audio codecs (as presently).

• 3 weeks later...

abebes,

To create a standalone AVI file ... select Create a Custom AVI video file as displayed in the attachment. In this custom senerio select the Video Codec button, then you must select your own compatible Audio & Video Codecs to complete the video file process. You cannot select the PictureToExe Video Codec within the list for this process. I use a MPEG4 codec such as Xvid or Dvix for the video codec.

* The other video options use the PictureToExe Video Codec which requires third party tools/converters to complete the video file process.

* The PictureToExe Video Codec is not a true encoder/decoder codec file. It is just an instruction sheet for third party tools/encoders to use in its final compilation.

I have just picked up on this discussion - it was helpful in that it enabled me for the first time to make '.avi' files which will play using DivX on my (National Panasonic) BluRay recorder plus an HD TV set. I used the Custom setting you highlighted, and the Video Codec XviD MPEG-4, and this works fine (although suggestions as to an even more appropriate codec would be welcome, in case there's anything that will give me improved quality - but it's not bad using this one).

There's just one snag - I have tried all the suggested audio codecs (working my way down the whole list) and none of them will give me a file with sound on it. Sometimes my BD player puts up an error message saying it can't play the audio, but still plays the video, sometimes it just plays a silent video with no error message.

Many of the test files that I have made using all those different Audio codecs work just fine on my PC...

Any suggestions? (I'm off-line for quite a while now, so don't expect a response straight away, but I'll be grateful for any ideas on my return!)

Thanks in advance...

PhotoFlora

PhotoFlora

I have tried all the suggested audio codecs (working my way down the whole list) and none of them will give me a file with sound on it.

I dont know what audio codecs/settings you have tested with ... but since you seem to be transcoding to BluRay format you may need to use HD Audio codec/settings.

See the attachment for basic HD Audio details/requirements.

post-45-0-26401100-1328650471_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have enough free space on all my local drives to fit a one-picture slideshow (at least several GB). I've just tried saving video to My Documents folder (so, permissions should be OK) -- still 0 bytes.

So, are you guys saying it should work out of the box? I don't need any additional codecs and stuff, right?

I'm not on a Mac, I'm using Windows XP SP3.

Okay, I've reinstalled PTE (also deleted stuff generated by PTE from register and profile folders before installation), version is still 7.0.5, the latest one (downloaded setup file again).

I've run PTE as administrator -- still the same behavior, it generates 0-length video files. Generation process is not momentary, it takes a while to render even a single-image slideshow.

I have no idea what to do with it.

splitter64,

Since Im not aware of your PC or video card specs ... you may want to test/publish a MP4 by enabling Minimize Video Card Usage (for slow PC). This option is available from the main menu View | Advanced Options. See attachment.

*PTE utilizes the video card in MP4 processing ... the setting above may or may not help in achieving your output results.

post-45-0-70613000-1333110788_thumb.jpg

I've just tried PTE 7.0.5 on another computer with GF MX440 video card (drivers and DX9.0c installed). PTE refuses to open "Objects and Animation" window complaining about video card, Minimize Video Card Usage option doesn't help ("Objects and Animation" thing works fine on my netbook though). But that's not the worst part :), rendered .mp4 files are empty again.

Yes, I'm using 7.0.5

I'm not the expert around here, but it sounds suspiciously like your PCs are underpowered (for PTE).

I have PM'ed Igor and asked him to take a look at this part of the thread.

I think that you could possibly start a new thread of your own and list your PC specifications and the problems that you are getting.

DG

splitter64,

I believe your expectations are a bit high for a netbook and its limited cpu/gpu. HD/H264 video is quite demanding on normal desktops just for playback. Now adding encoding/compilation of HD/H264 video can be more demanding.

2 questions :

-How well does your Atom playback HD/H264 video ... or is playback just limited to SD/H264 low resolution video ?

-What edition of Windows is your netbook ?

* As another test ... you might want to try and free up some netbook resources/proceeses and also uncheck PTE's own :

File List as thumbnails

Slide List as thumbnails

Show Real Slides in Mini Player

Show Real Slides in Slide List

(see attachment)

* Everything will be running in bare-bones for the test ... but its worth a try to squeeze any extra resources you can.

post-45-0-64060300-1333225285_thumb.jpg

nobeefstu,

I don't understand your point at all. If CPU/GPU of a PC is limited, it can be hard for it to play HD video only because it's a real-time task. Encoding video isn't a real-time task, it just can be too slow on a slow CPU. Also, I don't think that built-in encoder is so dependable on a video card, such solution is quite not universal. Anyway, a program should warn the user about insufficient resources in such cases.

- I think my netbook will play well only SD/H264 video, but I didn't check it

- Windows XP Professional SP3

The test you suggest have failed, empty file. Several free megabytes of memory (somewhere around 7 in my case, I checked that :D) shouldn't help much during encoding process.

Any other ideas?