WnSoft Forums

3D PERSPECTIVE

David Porter

Attached is a screenshot of a simulated Venetian blind (flim-flam? in US) in the open position. This is after being in the closed position. I have used the same degree of ‘Rotate X’ in 3D Parameters for all the slats and thus this perspective view. In real life this may be the view you would get if standing close to the blind but is not the view you get when standing some distance from the blind. I know that I can alter Rotate X for each individual slat but as I want at least 20 it is a chore. I guess that Igor has chosen some arbitrary angle of view of the screen to calculate the amount of perspective as you move from the centre of the screen.

QUESTION. 1) Is there any way of adjusting this angle of view to reduce the perspective effect; 2) Is there any work-around to get the slat more horizontal at the top and btm of the screen without adjusting Rotate X individually.

post-7412-0-88128800-1325759570_thumb.jp

Altering the value of the Rotate X start position works.

For instance the two slats nearest to the vertical centre point seem to need and adjustment of only 1.5 degree but the two slats either side (in a ten slat 1620x1080 configuration) seem to need a +/- 4.5 degree adjustment for them to start without being seen.

I too, would welcome a "flat plane" scenario for some applications. The ultimate would be a variable perspective but I don't know if this would be possible.

DG

Peter. I see your thinking about Pan Z but no it doea not work. The relative angles of the slats stay the same.

Dave. That is what I have now done but I hate boring repetative tasks.

Xaver. Thanks for the link writen just before I joined. Had I read it then I would not have understoood it but most of it now makes sense. I cannot think the maths is difficult to sort out in PTE. A simpler solution which would sort my existing project would be to have just three observation points centred on the screen, one close to, one mid distance and one far distance. Perhaps a reminder to Igor could be useful?

Thanks for your help, my little project is now done - I've just got to find a use for it!

Hello Mickp,

Seen how complicated it is, I think you'd better put some curtains ...

I think you know this work very well .... ;)

Moritz

I think you could be right, especially as my family business is Curtain Making! However, I have done it the best I can and I now need the rest of the show to go with it.

Hi Mick,

See it this will help with possibilities - L

http://www.lin-evans.org/mick/girl2pte.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Attached is a screenshot of a simulated Venetian blind (flim-flam? in US) in the open position. This is after being in the closed position. I have used the same degree of 'Rotate X' in 3D Parameters for all the slats and thus this perspective view. In real life this may be the view you would get if standing close to the blind but is not the view you get when standing some distance from the blind. I know that I can alter Rotate X for each individual slat but as I want at least 20 it is a chore. I guess that Igor has chosen some arbitrary angle of view of the screen to calculate the amount of perspective as you move from the centre of the screen.

QUESTION. 1) Is there any way of adjusting this angle of view to reduce the perspective effect; 2) Is there any work-around to get the slat more horizontal at the top and btm of the screen without adjusting Rotate X individually.

Hi Mick,

See it this will help with possibilities - L

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the link. I have not looked too deeply into your workings mostly due to the fact it is after dinner and the Chardeney was very good. My effort is on the link beleow which I was going to keep until I could find a show to put it on. I think my venetian blind (flim flam?) is a bit better than yours but your the view from your window is much better!!!

PC Link

LOL - other than that pesky "red patch" it definitely looks better! It needed the "valance" and window cords...

Best regards,

Lin

With permission from Lin, I allowed myself to make any changes, may help to improve something.

Morasoft

P.D I changed, in main menu:

When show end keep last slide in show on screen

by

Repeat show until Esc key is pressed.

But is better the Lin option, thus, is not noticeable overlap effect.

Hi Mick,

LOL - mine is a "cheap" venitian blind from Walmart. Yours definitely is of much higher quality! Could be from Harrods!! Mine is just a 5 minute plastic "quickie" to show the possibilities with a mask and no great care taken to precisely match on the closure. They (the blinds) are definitely "better" open than closed on mine - HA!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the link. I have not looked too deeply into your workings mostly due to the fact it is after dinner and the Chardeney was very good. My effort is on the link beleow which I was going to keep until I could find a show to put it on. I think my venetian blind (flim flam?) is a bit better than yours but your the view from your window is much better!!!

PC Link

Hello Mickp,

How have you done to round the blinds?

Moritz

In photoshop using combination rectangle and eliptical (circle) tools. My method not very elegant but it worked, let me know if you need more details.

LOL - we're playing with the same ideas.... I have "sticky" blinds at the top - got to buy some new ones - HA! Not going to worry about it though....

http://www.lin-evans.org/girl/girl.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Mickp,

Here version 6.

With some improvements.

With cods to move it...

Hi Lin & Moritz

Had a bit more time to look at your workings and cannot quite understand why you need a Mask and a Frame to control the slats. They appear to be doing the same job. On Moritz's latest, if you remove the Mask container and paste back the Frame with the slats, apart from a tweek of zoom, you get exactly the same, unless I am missing something subtle.

Hi Mick,

The reason I used a mask is not for controlling the slats but rather for fine tuning the area of display and allowing for subsequent other animation within the framework of the window. In my quick original, the blinds were not rounded purposely so I could easily control the animation to fit a wide variety of windows without distorting the basic shape. The mask also allows myriad other possibilities to be inserted within the same container. It's not necessary to the particular animation, but handy for optionally controlling things like snow, rain, video clips, etc.

The frame was used to allow movement of the entire assembly without disturbing individual component alignment, but this "could" be done by the mask container as well but then it would not be as flexible for other possible uses.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin & Moritz

Had a bit more time to look at your workings and cannot quite understand why you need a Mask and a Frame to control the slats. They appear to be doing the same job. On Moritz's latest, if you remove the Mask container and paste back the Frame with the slats, apart from a tweek of zoom, you get exactly the same, unless I am missing something subtle.

Guest Yachtsman1

How do you make a Venetian blind? poke his eyes out. Sorry guys, couldn't resist. Great work, wish I had the patience. Maybe we should start a new section "Animation Wars"??? :)

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Mickp, I (Moritz) have not done anything like that, mainly because I have no idea how do it. I know Morasoft personally, we're both teachers in Tenerife (Canary Islans - Spain), but still I can not do those jobs ...

Moritz

Ooops, have I got my names confused, sorry must be the Chardeney!

Just a thought.... the Venetian Blind could make a cool 'transition" for a part of a slideshow. One could open the blinds and show an image, close them, have a sip of Chardoney, open them on a second slide, etc., etc.

Best regards,

Lin

Ooops, have I got my names confused, sorry must be the Chardeney!

Hope you dont mind but I have added a shadow on the blinds that almost disappears as the blind is closed. The shadow file is a gradient .png file, made in photoshop which is added as a child of each blind slat. This was done by adding one copy of the image as a child of one blind, keypoints were added with the shadow moving up and down as the blinds opened and closed. Once I had this working on one slat I copied it complete with keypoints and pasted as a child of each slat.

I had hoped my attachment would be with this reply but seems not. I'll try again

Alan