WnSoft Forums

Simplify upgrades

Igor

Probably you remember that we vastly simplified license keys for new customers 4 months ago. The license key is short (25 symbols) and it arrives immediatelly after purchasing. No lost emails. Simple, fast and reliable.

Now I'm trying simplify upgrades for existing customers and I need your advice.

Currently a customer should use two license keys - old key and the new key. If a customer already have a previous activated version he simply need to load only the new key. If he installs PicturesToExe on a new PC, the customer must enter the old key and then load the new key. That's a bit complicated.

There is a good solution - ask old license key on the order form before purchasing. And customer receives a new universal license key. No need to use two keys. Regrettably we can't use this variant, because our old keys (before 7.0) were long (as a text, or as a file).

Currently I have only one idea - ask a customer the number of his previous order to give the discounted price for the upgrade. How good this idea? Can you find your order ID for PicturesToExe?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Igor,

PTE users must have retained their old keys ...

If they have not done, there is a program (Keycopy) that allows you to easily find them and save them ...

See here: http://www.diaporamaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10230

French : Igor,

Les utilisateurs de PTE doivent avoir conservé leurs anciennes clés...

S'ils ne l'ont pas fait, il existe un programme (Keycopy) qui permet de les retrouver facilement et de les enregistrer...

Voir ici : http://www.diaporamaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10230

KeyCopy_v1_EF.zip

Jean-Charles,

Peter,

Thanks!

But the ideal solution when an user who purchased the upgrade have deal only with one new license key. Two keys are complicating upgrades.

I thought about the idea when a customer sends us the old license key by email as a confirmation of previous purchasing. It takes some time, it needs manual inspection or write online base of license keys to avoid multiple usage (plus security issues). I consider it as an alternate variant.

If we have deal with short license key or order IDs I can easily organize simple and reliable upgrades. I load previous order IDs as a list of coupons. Each code is intended for 1 use only and customers receive the discount + universal license key. The purchasing of the upgrade is simple - order form has a special field for the old order ID.

Igor

I agree with you that putting in two keys is a pain when setting up a new computer having just gone through the experience.

At the moment you have a procedure where if I have lost my key I can contact you. Looking at your website I have to give three pieces of information, the product, my name and either original e-mail address or order id. I presume you have a database that has this information for all your customers. I am not sure what you do at present as I have never used it but could you change this so that customers with two keys, are then given a new universal key. Could you then change the procedure in PTE so when setting up a new computer installation it says two keys are no longer accepted and to fill in the lost key request to get a single universal key. This means that it may take some time before all your customers are converted but it would not produce a surge of requests to yourselves.

The main problem I see is that you would have to respond to this very quickly.

Tony Falla :)