Come the night you're only what I want

Come the night you could be my confident

I see you on the street in company

Why don't you come and ease your mind with me

I'm living for the night we steal away

I need you at the dimming of the day

I need you at the dimming of the day

Hi Dom,

I'm not sure what could be the problem - the links seem to be O.K. - maybe try a different browser or possibly my ISP was down for a few moments at the time you tried?

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I get a "page not found" error for the 3 links :unsure:

Hi Barry,

Could be that my ISP was doing some routine maintenance and had me temporarily off line. Otherwise it seems odd that all three links would be down....

Best regards,

Lin

Dom

They are all OK for me, perhaps a glitch your end, try again

Hi Lin

I am not sure I have understood what was the goal of our slideshow, if there is one.

- If it was a sort of exercise to try and test some special effects, then, for sure, some are nice and interesting. Bravo!

- If it was to tell a story, then I have some difficulties to understand it and follow your demonstration.

- If it was just to show some interesting photos with a moody music, then, effectively, some shots are very nice, others are not.

Are the majority, some ore none photo yours? I recognized a superb moody photo entitled "The Road Goes Ever On & On" by it's author (Gary McParland).

Whatever you wanted to show or tell us, just a point that I found curious: all the women are in white, apart one. Is it a particular message?

Best regards

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

There was a goal, and it does tell a story, but probably lost in the translation. You would perhaps need to understand English better to understand the story. None of the photos are mine but all are web photos, nor is the background music which is by Richard and Linda Thompson. Actually, all of the women are white but color or race has no relevance to anything. One of the problems with subtle "stories" is that they sometimes do not transcend culture or language easily.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Patrick,

LOL - I think that's (stay ignorant) is the wrong choice of words.... I don't believe I would understand nuances of a slideshow in which pictures are used to complement the words and meanings of a song in French. Even for some English speakers, some of the phrases in The Dimming of the Day are not always immediately understood because some are old and not commonly used today.

The story is about a woman who is so "transfixed" by a man that her tears flow and she can't live without his presence. When her "will" is gone his attraction and dominance over her is complete. She feels his attraction in the same way the tides are attracted by the gravitational pull of the moon. During the daytime, the inference is that she has other distractions which occupy her mind, but she "needs" him most when the sun goes down (The Dimming of the Day). Seeing him on the streets in the company of others she wonders why he doesn't come to her and spend time with her. The beautiful "birds" have flown away - a metaphor for the diminished quality of her life. She longs for and anxiously awaits the day when they will leave together.

That's about as good as I can explain the meaning of the song and how the pictures interact with the words.

Best regards,

Lin

Ok, ok, I will then unfortunately stay ignorant

Patrick

Wow!

Thank you very much Lin for taking time to give such a precise analysis.

For me, the song was just a simple musical background as I didn't pay attention to the words!

It was then impossible for me to understand that the music was the story!

After your last explanations, I used Shazam on my iphone and then googled to find the lyrics of the music title.

Now, the image sequence has of course a clear sense!

It's past midnight here... I am going to bed

Bye bye

Patrick

Hi Lin,

Thanks for explanation of your piece. As an English speaker but with aging ears and aging equipment I found it difficult to follow the words even second and third time around, so the story was lost on me too. However a great selection of pictures and I did spot most of the subtle animations and the music was good as well. Sometimes you don't need to understand the words, the voice just becomes another musical instrument.

Hi Mick,

I now realize that having the lyrics available would help a great deal with understanding the slide sequences, so I have added them to my original post for clarification.

Best regards,

Lin