WnSoft Forums

Weird error launching a PTE-created EXE file [SOLVED]

fh1805

I've just been presented with the error below (see attached screen-grab) when trying to launch an EXE file (Challenge v8) that I created a few days ago. I am trying to launch it on the same PC that it was created on, from the same folder in which I saved it when I created it. A version of the file created the previous day (Challenge v7) and stored in the same folder launches correctly. I have taken the project file that was used to create Challenge v8 and opened that in PTE, saved it to a new name (Challenge v9) and published a new EXE. Challenge v9 EXE runs OK.

The PC is Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials. PTE is v7.0.3. Challenge 8's icon is the "old style" icon and not the "Blue and silver Play button" icon. Both Challenge v7 and Challenge v9 have the Play Button icon.

Anybody able to shed any light on what's going on?

regards,

Peter

post-4886-0-66881600-1330860561_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Peter, have you been running some old (pre humming bird) exe's, which I presume were constructed using your old 32bit hardware. If so maybe a system clean-up, cookies, browsing info & so on may cure it.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Peter,

First as a test:

Copy the Challenge v8 EXE to a new/different directory and rename the EXE.

After copy/rename see if the icon has changed from the old style to the new style and test play the EXE.

*If the copy/rename EXE is still displaying the old style icon ... reboot PC and verify if any changes.

*The clue in your original post of "Challenge 8's icon is the "old style" icon and not the "Blue and silver Play button" icon." makes me first suspect the windows/file cache.

OK, here's an update...

I copied the EXE to the desktop and renamed it. The icon was still "old style", and I still get the error on trying to run the program. I then shut down the PC and left it powered down for about ten minutes. After re-booting the PC, the icon is still the old style and I still get the error when trying to run the program. Nice try, nobeefstu, but no coconut this time!

Just to clarify matters: all versions of this particular sequence have been created using v7.0.3. I do also have v4.49 and v6.57 installed. However, the file associations for the .pte file are with the v7.0.3 program. The only way either of the other two versions could become active would be for me to launch that PTE version via Start...All Programs... and then do a File...Open... from within PTE on a .pte file. In any case, the problem isn't with a pte project file, it's with an EXE file created from that project file.

The file sizes of Challenge v8 and Challenge v9 are: 3,544,168 and 3,544,174 respectively. Those are the numbers from Properties...General tab... Size field (not Size on disk). Six bytes difference in EXE files created from the same project file code. I wonder what those six bytes are?

Peter

Peter,

but no coconut this time!

Well ... that test somewhat eliminates that windows was using the file cache. Since the EXE was compiled in v7 series the EXE icon data only contains the new style icon resources and does not include any of the old style icon data.

Have you tested opening/publishing the original Challenge v8.pte file again to EXE to verify any changes ?

Have you tested opening/publishing the original Challenge v8.pte file again to EXE to verify any changes ?

Yes. I preserved the failing EXE by renaming it and then launched the Challenge v8.pte project file into PTE and did a fresh Publish...Executable File for PC to its original name (Challenge v8). This has the new style icon and plays OK. I'm now totally baffled as to what might have happened. The important thing is that I can move on with the development. But I would like to get to the bottom of this in case it is a symptom of something more fundamental starting to fail in the PC.

Peter

Hi Igor,

All my checks indicate that there is no virus problem, so I guess it must have been a disk drive glitch. This is reinforced by the fact that the backup copy (taken on the evening that the file was created) is perfectly OK. I should have checked the backup copy sooner. It was only reading your post that made me think about doing that.

Peter