WnSoft Forums

Changes on Beechbrook.Com

cottage

This is a follow-up on the recent changes I made to the PTE Download pages where the author's email address was displayed publicly. I'm hoping this poll will receive more responses that the forum entry did. As always, comments are welcome ! - Bill

Another reason for displaying the addresses on Cottage is that some people who Bill hosts may not be members of the forum, and there are some members of the forum whose ID's are not their name and good luck finding them using the forum search.

I ran into both cases recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of 342 pages of WnSoft Forum members, I have received a grand total of 13 responses to my poll. One might gather that publicly displayed email address on Beechbrook are not a real issue. Upload totals have not changed since I removed the email addresses from displaying on the download pages. Folks appear to be more interested in download shows, and just skipping the small stuff. I'll leave the poll going for a few more days to gather any final votes.

We're all aware that MediaFire, DropBox and other hosting sites, do not post author's email addresses. Maybe it's for that reason alone, but my observation is that more and more forum members are using these sites to host their shows. I would be interested in your thoughts and comments.

Bill

Guest Yachtsman1

Bill

The reasons I use Mediafire or Dropbox are a. I can remain anonymous & b. my uploads will be there for as long as I determine, which is another method of saving them should my equipment fail, without a time limit. Someone suggested using a false email or anonymous email address, that isn't my way.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Bill

My preference would be to use your site, to me, it is the home of AV slideshows.

The reason I have not used it recently, is because I did have my own site, which I did not renew the server space, being a bit busy studying, and since then I have not got around to renewing it.

So I feel I'm taking a bit of a liberty using your facility that you pay for, and with a lot of good will. Hope this makes sense.

Bill,

I was one of the ‘Either Way’ voters. My apathy vote has got to count for more than one, yes/no vote.

Most people haven’t bothered responding. That’s the silent majority for you.

Maybe it has passed the stage, where tweaks or policy changes will make any real difference to Beechbrook.

I do download AVs from your site, but no way would I upload there again.

instead I use and recommend Mediafire for both uploads and downloads, but I am sure Dropbox, is equally as good.

Davy.

Bill

My preference would be to use your site, to me, it is the home of AV slideshows.

The reason I have not used it recently, is because I did have my own site, which I did not renew the server space, being a bit busy studying, and since then I have not got around to renewing it.

So I feel I'm taking a bit of a liberty using your facility that you pay for, and with a lot of good will. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the kind words. I know you've been quite busy with school/degrees and such. But we also miss your great shows. Come on back when you can!

Bill

Bill,

I was one of the 'Either Way' voters. My apathy vote has got to count for more than one, yes/no vote.

Most people haven't bothered responding. That's the silent majority for you.

Maybe it has passed the stage, where tweaks or policy changes will make any real difference to Beechbrook.

I do download AVs from your site, but no way would I upload there again.

instead I use and recommend Mediafire for both uploads and downloads, but I am sure Dropbox, is equally as good.

Davy.

Thanks for voting Davy. Glad you enjoy downloading from Beechbrook. I choose to believe that tweaks and upgrades can help any system, so I'll continue to do them from time to time.

My site is always open to new PTE shows. You've chosen to never upload there again. Not sure why, but alter all, it's your call. ;)

Bill

Maybe instead of mailto links make it a href link to a email form. Something like soupermail allows you to block messages that have http or href in the body of the message. That blocks about 99% of all spam. It also allows the real email address to be stored outside of the web server root directory.

Tom

Tom, Thanks for your suggestion. That might be an option I'll investigate once I see how things turn out. I don't delight in the thoughts of all the codes changes I'll have to make though. I'm older now..... it takes a bit more time to figure this stuff out now-a-days! :D - Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill.

Couldn't remember if I replied to this and didn't want to read every post. I just downloaded a show...5/14/2012, and enjoyed it and wanted to let the creator know how I liked it.

I am a forum member but forget to use it for posting much of the time. I figure I'm using your site,Beechbrook, and would like to keep it all in one house. Just my two cents. I guess it would

behoove us to put our email etc. in our shows like many of the people have done for years. I must remember that in the future...as it isn't your responsibility.

I think your take is incorrect on the response of this post...if I read it correctly...i might not due to my med intake. I think the fact that not many people responded to your post

means you should by all means include the authors address with the show. Not many know that the forum exists...and why go to another platform when you don't post there? I know Beechbrook

and love it...I only post on the forum from time to time. Years ago I had posted shows on your site and had no idea people were discussing things I had created on the PTE forum. I answered comments more

than a year old. I'd never have know except a friend of mind found me on the internet through PTE. Crazy, I know, but I hope I am making myself clear. Regardless of all this, I will post my email in the show

and hope all of you are doing well. A wonderful bunch of folks on Beechbrook and PTE. All the best to each and every one.

Jeff Lunt

Hi Bill.

Couldn't remember if I replied to this and didn't want to read every post. I just downloaded a show...5/14/2012, and enjoyed it and wanted to let the creator know how I liked it.

I am a forum member but forget to use it for posting much of the time. I figure I'm using your site,Beechbrook, and would like to keep it all in one house. Just my two cents. I guess it would

behoove us to put our email etc. in our shows like many of the people have done for years. I must remember that in the future...as it isn't your responsibility.

I think your take is incorrect on the response of this post...if I read it correctly...i might not due to my med intake. I think the fact that not many people responded to your post

means you should by all means include the authors address with the show. Not many know that the forum exists...and why go to another platform when you don't post there? I know Beechbrook

and love it...I only post on the forum from time to time. Years ago I had posted shows on your site and had no idea people were discussing things I had created on the PTE forum. I answered comments more

than a year old. I'd never have know except a friend of mind found me on the internet through PTE. Crazy, I know, but I hope I am making myself clear. Regardless of all this, I will post my email in the show

and hope all of you are doing well. A wonderful bunch of folks on Beechbrook and PTE. All the best to each and every one.

Jeff Lunt

Jeff,

So good to hear from you. I hope your health is continuing to improve with each new day !!!!! I've been waiting for new material from you. What's up?? ;) You keep us in such suspense between each new show. Hope your website is coming along good. Yep, not too many responses in my poll. Perhaps most folks are saying it really doesn't matter which way I go with the email addresses. As mentioned before, there has been absolutely no increase (or decrease) in the amount of uploads/downloads to Beechbrook since I removed the email addresses from the download pages. This activity remains about the same. The poll has been up for almost a month. Probably time to remove it and move on to newer things. At this point I would suggest that it sways towards adding the address back.

Thanks for your input.

All the best,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Time to end the poll. Thanks to those that participated. I have changed the code in the "Author's Notes" section (only) to show email addresses. They will not be shown elsewhere on my site. Hopefully this will be beneficial going forward.

Regards,

Bill

OK. Time to end the poll. Thanks to those that participated. I have changed the code in the "Author's Notes" section (only) to show email addresses. They will not be shown elsewhere on my site. Hopefully this will be beneficial going forward.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks, Bill.

Maureen

Regards,

Bill

As I was in favour of this, I appreciate your bringing the email addresses back.

Thank you !!

Jim