WnSoft Forums

FLORENCE

Well Maureen, another first class and very interesting slideshow. I always enjoy these travel records, they have a certain lasting feel to them, quite something to show off to future generations.

You chose some fantastic light, did you take any pictures after the sun when below the horizon, but before it got dark?

For a moment or two I did wonder where the music was going when the theme to the godfather start, however it worked really well with the procession.

Mille Grazie

Thanks to Ken, Morturn and Davy C for your appreciation.

David (Morturn) - We were very lucky getting such nice light, especially since quite a number of those shots were taken a couple of hours after we had arrived there. No, I didn't take any pics after the sun had gone down below the horizon as I would really have needed a tripod, something which I never take abroad with me. However, I did take the last couple of images from our hotel room balcony resting my elbows on a solid surface.

Maureen

However, I did take the last couple of images from our hotel room balcony resting my elbows on a solid surface.

Maureen

Well Maureen, that does conjure up an image - oops sorry, I'll have to stop drinking that Prosecco. I'll have another couple of looks at "Florence" in the morning before commenting.

Hi Maureen,

Prosecco has worn off now and I've viewed your show a couple more times and I have to say this is one of your best. I love all the candid shots and I'm guessing that as Florence was so crowded with people that if you can't beat them then join them. I particularly liked the mobile phone shot transforming from girl to boy and then the green bike. Also the green bike appears in front of the flower shop - well spotted and the girl and couple on the steps - classic. you have an excellent eye for a shot.

I am always impressed with the vibrancy you manage to achieve in your shots. This shows up particularly well in the magnificent Florence buildings. Shooting early and late means you get excelllent light but I wonder if you tweek them very much in PS. The shots of the procession were particularly good and you managed to get the timing just right as they marched along. I'm not sure about some of the mini pans and zooms as, although they didn't detract, I'm not sure what they added. All in all an excelllent show.

Hi Maureen,

Prosecco has worn off now and I've viewed your show a couple more times and I have to say this is one of your best. I love all the candid shots and I'm guessing that as Florence was so crowded with people that if you can't beat them then join them. I particularly liked the mobile phone shot transforming from girl to boy and then the green bike. Also the green bike appears in front of the flower shop - well spotted and the girl and couple on the steps - classic. you have an excellent eye for a shot.

I am always impressed with the vibrancy you manage to achieve in your shots. This shows up particularly well in the magnificent Florence buildings. Shooting early and late means you get excelllent light but I wonder if you tweek them very much in PS. The shots of the procession were particularly good and you managed to get the timing just right as they marched along. I'm not sure about some of the mini pans and zooms as, although they didn't detract, I'm not sure what they added. All in all an excelllent show.

Hi Mick

Just ordered a case of Prosecco!! First of all, thanks for your comments which are always appreciated, as you know. As far as 'candid' street shots are concerned, someone suggested to me a while back that I should try to include some when photographing in cities and I now happen to think that it does add something to a show. Might end up with a 'fat lip' though, one of these days.

I think I've told you before how I process my images. For a start, I always use RAW as it gives much more flexibility. Adjust the sliders in Adobe Camera Raw then into Photoshop for Levels and sharpening. Try it Mick, there's more work involved but I happen to think it's worth it.

Pans and Zooms - I've really only recently started to use them as I, like others, don't think you should pan and zoom, or anything else, just because you can. However, now when I look back on my earlier shows I tend to think they are a bit static and could perhaps use a little movement now and again. Not every frame, but just occasionally. All just a matter of personal choice.

Again, I always appreciate your comments and keep drinking the Prosecco! ;)

Maureen

A new show of images taken during a short break in Florence in March this year.

On www.beechbrook.com/pte with grateful thanks to Bill Hines as usual for kindly hosting.

Maureen

===============================

Maureen,

As usual, a great show. I agree with Morturn about seeing shows about travel. This one was special for me because I was born in Florence, right down from the Ponte Vecchio. I noticed your shots of the 11th century San Miniato al Monte church. Not too many people make the trek up to that church. It is really spectacular. A few years ago, we went to place some flowers on my brother's twin who is buried at the church and it was interesting that they have all the grave site locations computerized...helps locate them. We happened to be there for an Easter morning service in the church. Really nice.

Thanks for bringing back memories...

Gary

Another great set of images and again somewhere that I have photographed but once again Maureen I am in awe at the quality of your images.

You have this ability to capture a special quality in the light not to mention 'Ponte Vecchio' with a reasonable amount of people on it.

I loved the telephone links.

I have been bold enough before to ask about tripod use etc. perhaps you could share with us what equipment you are using.

Snapcam

===============================

Maureen,

As usual, a great show. I agree with Morturn about seeing shows about travel. This one was special for me because I was born in Florence, right down from the Ponte Vecchio. I noticed your shots of the 11th century San Miniato al Monte church. Not too many people make the trek up to that church. It is really spectacular. A few years ago, we went to place some flowers on my brother's twin who is buried at the church and it was interesting that they have all the grave site locations computerized...helps locate them. We happened to be there for an Easter morning service in the church. Really nice.

Thanks for bringing back memories...

Gary

Gary - thanks for your comments and I was interested to read what you said about the old church high up on a hill. Some really good views from up there.

Maureen

Another great set of images and again somewhere that I have photographed but once again Maureen I am in awe at the quality of your images.

You have this ability to capture a special quality in the light not to mention 'Ponte Vecchio' with a reasonable amount of people on it.

I loved the telephone links.

I have been bold enough before to ask about tripod use etc. perhaps you could share with us what equipment you are using.

Snapcam

Good morning Snapcam

Thanks for your very generous comments. However, as we were there in March the light was good without the need to get out too early in the morning or stay out late in the evening and, of course, we were very fortunate to have such good weather.

All of the images used in this A/V were taken with the Nikon D300 and Nikon 16-85 lens. I bought the lens about 18 months ago and really love it. I also use a Nikon D80 with the Nikon 18-200 zoom and most of the images in 'Simply Venice' were taken with that combi. However, my favourite is the D300 with the short zoom.

Again, your comments are very much appreciated.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Wow..... A beautiful show. Thank you again for yet another. It is now 42 years since we were in Florence and this sort of advert really works.

Your shows are always so fresh with such clarity...and the light...absolutely stunning. I agree with your thoughts on panning. Sometimes it is just like having a print moved from one side to the other and we gain nothing from it whereas if used judiciously (as you have) with slow movement it can work with great effect.

Wonderful shots and very powerful with the music.

Anthony

Hi Maureen

A definate keeper. Excellent!!!

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :rolleyes:

Eric - sorry but I missed your comment earlier. Thank you. Off topic, we were in your old 'neck of the woods' a few days ago. Almost got drowned in a torrential downpour leaving the Posthorn Tearoom.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Wow..... A beautiful show. Thank you again for yet another. It is now 42 years since we were in Florence and this sort of advert really works.

Your shows are always so fresh with such clarity...and the light...absolutely stunning. I agree with your thoughts on panning. Sometimes it is just like having a print moved from one side to the other and we gain nothing from it whereas if used judiciously (as you have) with slow movement it can work with great effect.

Wonderful shots and very powerful with the music.

Anthony

Ant - thank you for your generous comments. I do think the colour of the buildings in Florence is an advantage when trying to get nice warm light.

Maureen

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric - sorry but I missed your comment earlier. Thank you. Off topic, we were in your old 'neck of the woods' a few days ago. Almost got drowned in a torrential downpour leaving the Posthorn Tearoom.

Maureen

Thanks Maureen. That was one of the reasons we moved, lovely place when the weather is fine, but can be horrendous in bad weather. That's why the sheep look miserable.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. ;)

post-5560-0-98443200-1341309369_thumb.jp

A collection of very fine images in a slideshow with background music :rolleyes:

Regards,

Xaver

Whoops, Xaver. I should have said 'slideshow' or 'presentation'. Must remember in future that my shows are not A/Vs. However, thank you for your comments.

Maureen

Whoops, Xaver. I should have said 'slideshow' or 'presentation'. Must remember in future that my shows are not A/Vs. However, thank you for your comments.

Maureen

Maureen,

As you once said to me "if it's got sound and pictures then it's Audiol/Visual". Your subtle irony will be lost on Xaver.

Maureen,

As far as I am concerned and I guess most everyone else whether we call your presentation an A/V, a slide show with background music or any other type of presentation it matters not one iota.

They are very enjoyable to watch with good photography and well put together.

I look forward to your next A/V.

Anthony