WnSoft Forums

Enclosing Objects Within Wireframes

Objects Enclosed Within Wireframes

Pictures To Exe allows us to create the illusion of three dimensionality in animated objects within a two dimensional space. There have been many fine examples over the last couple of years which have been posted here. I added a little contribution recently by showing how I rotated text around a spherical object by splitting the text into front and back halves and placing them in front of and behind the spherical object.

The next obvious step is to enclose an object within another object whilst rotating both. The following is a description of the method. A Template is added to this post to illustrate my method. The Template can be run as a slide show or examined slide by slide while reading this explanation.

First, as always, prepare your ingredients. In a suitable editing package make a semi-circle by drawing a 600x600 pixels circle in an 800x800 pixel transparent layer and erase the right hand side of the circle. Save as a PNG file.

In PTE, add a Frame to a blank slide (Frame 1). Add another frame to Frame 1 and rename it "Control". Add a frame to the Control frame and rename it "Front".

Add the previously prepared Semi-Circle (Red_Circle) to the Front Frame and Rotate its Y Axis through (+) 20 degrees. My Template is built at 1280x800. If your project size is different, click on SIZE in the "Size Position…." box of the "Red_Circle" to ensure that you have an "Actual Pixels" element. Using the "Clone" procedure you can now right click on the "Red_Circle" element, click on Copy and then use Ctrl + V (Paste) eight times as shown in the Template. (I have added the rotation angles to the names of elements of the Front Hemi-Sphere for reference). Note that there is no zero degree element. In Slide 1 of the Template drag the arrow between the Key-frames to see the effect.

To complete the Spherical object I did the following:

Click on the "Front" frame and COPY.

Click on the "Control" frame and paste.

Rename the lower "Front" frame "Back" and rotate through 180 degrees. See Slide 2 of the attached Template.

I was now able to create the illusion of enclosing an object inside the Wireframe Sphere.

My object was an image (600x400 pixels) which I reduced to 71%.

Click on the "Control" frame and add the object/image. Right click on the image and click on "Order" and send BACK ONCE. The order of the objects from Front to back is now the front half of the Hemi-Sphere; the image; the back half of the Hemi-Sphere.

Now to create the illusion of rotation of the Sphere through 360 degrees: I found that I could rotate the Control Frame from 40 degrees through to -60 degrees and maintain the front to back relationship. See Slide 3 in the Template. By setting up the first and last Key-frames of the Control Frame at 40 and -60 degrees respectively the illusion begins. (Click on the first and last Key-frames for the Control Frame in succession to see that they are identical). By "Looping" or repeating the slide multiples of the time frames for the illusion are obtained. Note that to maintain the image stationary values of -40 and +60 need to be added to its first and last Key-frames over the same time interval. Click on the "Slice of Toast" Icon for Slide 3 to produce a Looping Slide 3.

The enclosed object can now be animated and this is shown in Slide 5. Here I have rotated the image through 360 degrees during the 100 degree rotation of the Control Frame. Other combinations are possible by changing the Slide Duration and Angle of Rotation of the Control Frame e.g. using a 10 degree interval between "Red_Circles" would allow for a 90 degree rotation during the illusion. Clicking on the "Slice of Toast" icon for Slide 5 produces a Looping Slide 5 to demonstrate the effect.

Objects in Wireframes.zip

DG

Excellent Dave!!

To add one tiny note - the "image" inside the wireframe could also be any "object" including a three dimensional object such as a rotating cube.

Very good tutorial - right to the point and quite useful! Thanks!!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Dave,

LOL - now "that" would be a fun one to try! Actually, with your excellent tutorial and example it's very easy to just "drop in" something already created like this little kitty cube. I'm reminded of the "bird in a guilded cage" story, with these various wireframe creations, I'll bet someone like Jean can come up with a pretty good likeness. Now if we could just figure a way to "skin" the wireframe like we do in 3D programs, that might be realistic and possible!

Here's the cat.... LOL

http://www.lin-evans...inwireframe.zip (pc)

http://www.lin-evans...ireframemac.zip (mac)

Best regards,

Lin

...these things start appearing in "dreams!!!"

Lin,

More like "night-mares" I would have thought! At least that's how it felt for me when I did Rubik's Cube back in 2009. Sorry I haven't been able to participate with you folks in this wire-frames "game". I'm putting a lot of energy into getting to grips with video techniques using my Nikon D300s. I have a new project which cries out for video clips being used. I thought I'd cracked everything until Sunday's shoot, when I got just four useable clips out of fifteen. Don't post any replies to this here, I don't want to hi-jack this thread. If I cannot understand why I had the problems, I'll open a new topic in the appropriate part of the forum to solicit advice.

regards,

Peter

To be serious I, like many AV'ers (I suspect), would like to see 3D animations used in a less "in your face" way.

The more traditional slide show makers aren't really interested in Cubes and Spheres and Wireframes (I don't think!).

For introductions, endings and Menu slides - great! But in a real slide show with REAL images I have yet to see advanced 3D Animation being used with any subtlety.

When I see something I'll let you know.

IMHO and all that - other opinions are available.

DG