WnSoft Forums

Ctrl W

Antbrewer

I know the Ctrl W issue was raised recently but my query has only happened tonight and is slightly different.

Using Ctrl W the images from the File list open in Photoshop as they should but not from the Slide list.

When I select from the slide list Ctrl W will open photoshop (if not already running) but will not open the actual image.

This problem is on my laptop with XP. Just checked the desktop with Windows 7 and that is fine.

Any ideas?

Anthony

Dave,

Yes all slides have ''Main object of slide'' ticked in the O&A window. I've never ever looked at that before but yes they all are ticked.

This is a real mystery to me... I have never had this before. What else is there to check?

I do appreciate your help.

Anthony

This is so very odd.....to me at least.

I have tried various other 'projects' of AVs done over the last few years... Some will open up in the slide list but some will not. ALL will open from the File list.

I will close it down now and maybe in the morning sanity will prevail but I am at a complete loss at to what is going on. I cannot see any connection with the projects that work and those that fail to.

It is all beyond me at the moment.

Anthony

Anthony,

This is so very odd.....to me at least.

Some will open up in the slide list but some will not. ALL will open from the File list

If the Image in the Slide List is not marked as the Main Object (see the O&A window) ... CTRL+W and Edit functions are not possible from the Slide List. When the Slide List image wont accept the CTRL+W and Edit functions you must go to the O&A Object List and manually select the image to use the edit functions/commands.

See if you can select the image from the Object List and try your edit function.

See attachment:

post-45-0-10888500-1343258797_thumb.jpg

Whooa! Wait a minute, there's a bug in here!

I just re-opened my little demonstration project and did Ctrl+W on each of the three slides with images.

Slide 2 - opened correctly in Photoshop Elements

Slide 3 - nothing happened (This is what I expected because the Blank is the Main Object but is not a real image file)

Slide 4 - launched Elements and opened the image file that I had deleted from the slide (This should NOT have happened)

It would seem that when PTE removes an object from the Object list it does not remove all the project code relating to that object.

I have no idea what those who download will observe if they do CTRL+W on slide 4. I assume that their graphical editor will launch but after that...???

N.B. If I take slide 3 into O&A, select the image file object and do Ctrl+W, Elements launches and opens this image file; i.e. the behaviour is as expected even though Edit Ctrl+W are not in the right click menu (another bug?)

regards,

Peter

Thank you for your replies.

Nobeefstu..

Even selecting the image from the Object list as you have suggested It doesn't open in Photoshop.

Peter..

Again thanks for your early morning tutorial.

Slide 2...opened corectly with Ctrl w

Slide 3... Nothing happened

Slide 4... Nothing happened but in the O&A window when the image D968 was selected (even though the 'Main object of slide' remained unticked) it opened with Ctrl W.

I too get the same results that you find Peter by taking slide 3 into the O&A window, ie it opens.

I have gone over a number of previous projects , some made with earlier versions than 7 (which I am using now) trying to see a connection between those that operate correctly and those that will not. I cannot see any common link...It just appears random.

In one project an image opens with Ctrl W from the slide list even when the 'Main Object of slide' box is unticked?!?!

As always with these queries I learn a little more about PtE .

Is it my laptop as my desktop is fine as indeed this laptop was a day ago?

I appreciate all your comments and concern

Thank you

Anthony

Anthony,

Two trials:

Drag an image from FILE LIST into SLIDE LIST - highlight slide and then Ctrl+W.

Alt+s to add a new slide - go to O&A - add image to the Blank Slide and then close O&A - highlight this slide in SLIDE LIST - Ctrl+W.

Any difference between these two?

DG

Peter, Dave, stu,

I came back to the infamous laptop late yesterday only to find that I have no image on the screen at all. It would appear that It has given up the ghost so to speak...Powers up it seems but just a black screen. Was this the problem?...or did it contribute to the problem in some way?...maybe not but clearly there is a problem with the machine which I must address.

So until that has been resolved I will not know. Fortunately my desktop has no such issues (both hands firmly touching my wooden desk).

At least Peter found a bug that Igor has righted on the back of this thread.

Thanks again for the Forum help as always.

Anthony

Anthony,

By way of a little help towards your 'dud' Laptop this may save you an expensive repair,do the following:-

1)

On the side of the Laptop you should find a 15-Pin Socket (VGA Socket).

2)

Plug the Monitor from your Desktop-Computer into this socket.

3)

Turn-on your Laptop and see if the (external) Monitor will power up with some form of Screen-Image ?

4)

If it works ~ your problem is either the Laptop-LCD Lamp or its Power-Driver has gone 'dud' which

is relatively inexpensive to fix. If you simply get snow or nothing on the External-Monitor I'm afraid

your problem is more serious.

Hope this helps...

Brian (Conflow)

I came back to the infamous laptop late yesterday only to find that I have no image on the screen at all. It would appear that It has given up the ghost so to speak...Powers up it seems but just a black screen.

Anthony,

It is possible that you have inadvertently switched the laptop from "Display on own screen" mode to "Display on secondary screen" mode. That is partly what Brian (Conflow) may be driving at. One of your laptop's "F" keys will be the one that activates this switch. The key usually needs to be held down at the same time as the "Fn" key (which might be down at the bottom left of your keyboard).

On my laptop, the Fn+F6 combination toggles from own monitor to both monitors to only the secondary monitor. For "secondary monitor" in this context you can also read "digital projector".

When showing sequences to audiences I boot the laptop on its own monitor, switch to "both" to check out the hook-up to the projector and then switch to "projector only" to deliver the shows. The only catch is that I have to remember to switch back to "own monitor" before closing down otherwise at next boot up I get a black screen - just like you are getting. This has happened so often to me that I now always react to a black screen by toggling through the options to kick-start the little so-and-so.

regards,

Peter

Antony,

What Peter has described above is an 'accidental' switching from Laptop-Monitor(Screen) to External-Monitor(Screen)

and it happens very often and Peter has described the switching sequence between both Monitors.

If the switching sequence doesn't work you should 'Test' your Laptop with your Desktop-Monitor (as I had described)

just in case its a genuine Laptop-failure. Having connected the Desktop-Monitor you can still use the Laptop F6+Fn

Keys to get it working...thats provided the Laptop is O.K.

If the Desktop-Monitor works then its the Laptop-Display which is in trouble (see my last Post)....If it doesn't work

I'm afraid its the Laptop itself which is in trouble.

Brian (Conflow).

Brian and Peter,

Just picked up your replies to my Laptop black screen issue. Sorry to have you think I'm rude in not replying but I hadn't noticed the posts.

I have tried the same suggestions from the advice of a learned friend over the week/end but to no avail so I have left it with a PC doc who will take it further. Fingers crossed.

Again thanks for your kind help.

Anthony