WnSoft Forums

Black and White 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful black&white images, Barry. You say you spent some effort on the BW conversions, It looks like a lot of work was done there.

There is a free plugin for Photoshop from Photo Plugins that does BW conversion, emulating various different BW films like FP4 and others. If you're interested, look here: http://www.photo-plugins.com/Plugins/Plugins/B-W-Conversion.html

Colin

Colin

Some of those plugins do a good job, I have a black and white filter set from Alien Skin and one or two of those are nice too. I am sure they are similar to those you mention. Not sure I can quite recall the detailed differences between Black and White films now, but the filters do work well.

I have changed my way of creating Black and White now though and do everything in Camera Raw. Rarely does an image need the same conversion techniques in all areas. So I manipulate every image as a monochrome through raw and quite often will use 2,3 or more versions of the same image. That way I I can apply a different Black and White conversion for different areas of the image. Every exposure we make is a compromise and working the way I do, I feel I don't have to give in to that compromise.

Works for me, so when I get the image into Photoshop its more less complete.

I did a lot of trial and error with transitions though. Threw out some good images, because they just didn't fade into the next good enough. I feel that if I am making a picture based slide show then that is a must to try and maintain interest. Good fun though

Hi Barry,

Great photography as we have come to expect, but also great skill in producing an excellent show and most importantly good degree of patience. The skills can be learn but patience is another matter - how do you achieve that.

Mick

I don't think I would describe it as patience so much. You can have all the patience in the world, but it may not help you to achieve something your aiming for. If you think about what we are trying to achieve, its a combination of images and music where the end result is greater than those two parts. For that we must have our images in balance with the music style and the speed of the music too. In an image based slide show like this, I think much more effort must go into transitions too and that is what I try to do. I tried to make sure I didn't have any weak images in the set and it all looked good to me.

By the time I post a show, I would have seen it myself dozens of times and if you can do that without tearing the slide show apart, then your probably on the right track. When I finish a show I put the exe on my desktop and play it at least twice a day for a week. Try it and you will find after 2 days you will start to see the weak areas. After those few days I always seem to find something to change. When that stops I tell myself it must be about right, but ofcourse others will not always agree.

Mick

By the time I post a show, I would have seen it myself dozens of times and if you can do that without tearing the slide show apart, then your probably on the right track. When I finish a show I put the exe on my desktop and play it at least twice a day for a week. Try it and you will find after 2 days you will start to see the weak areas. After those few days I always seem to find something to change. When that stops I tell myself it must be about right, but ofcourse others will not always agree.

Em, I think that shows an incredible amount of patience, at least to me it does.

• 2 weeks later...