WnSoft Forums

Possible PTE Errors

jevans

I have recently upgraded to PTE Version 7.06 and am getting an error which appears randomly. When trying to run a show starting from a particular slide i sometimes get the following error

"The process cannot access the file becasue it is using another process"

I attach a jpg image of the error message. Sometimes I can run the show from a particular slide without the error appearing. It seems to occur after I have mad a modification to the project. I have carefully checked that no other process other than operating system process are running. I am using Windows 7 Professional.

post-1996-0-46272200-1346620272_thumb.jp

Thinking that this problem might be solved by a more recent version, I checked and saw than Versioin 7.07 was available. Downloading this version and trying to install it produced an error message. I attach a jpg image of this error message and I am unable to install Version 7.07.

post-1996-0-40995900-1346620454_thumb.jp

Has anyone else experienced either of these two errors.

Just to reassure you, I and many others also have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and PTE runs fine on those systems, so its nothing there causing the problem. That does indicate a possible glitch your end and as a first step I would completely uninstall your current version and then try installing the latest from scratch. Try that first and see what the result is and report back to the forum.

Use Full Screen to Read.

Jeff,

Quite a few Pte-Users have experienced your problem and myself included, and the problem is partly due to a "Conflict of interests" and

also due to the new Program-structures within the new Versions of 7xxx ~ and I have found out as follows:-

1)

If you choose to start a Replay-sequence from XX-Image sometimes PTE "thinks" you are playing a new Pte-Exe from that point whilst

another "instance" of Pte is open ~ thats an "illegal call" and you get a Warning-message ~ You wrote Quote:

"When trying to run a sequence from a particular slide i sometimes get the following error:- The process cannot access the file because

..it is being used by another process"...Unquote.....Thats one answer.

2)

If you had extracted an Image from your Show for Editing purposes and had "re-installed" it again but the Image-Editor is still open in the

System-Tray ie:- Icon open in the Bottom-Screen Toolbar ~ Pte will tell you that the Image is being used by another Process because that

process is still "open" ~ Make sure all Image-Editors are closed before proceeding with your Show..

3)

As you know V7+ has its own Preview-Player but you also have other Media-Players on your PC (inc) the Win-Media Player and these

players have various 'File-Association Lists' and you can designate one Player as "de-facto" the 1st.choice System-Player with all its

'File-Associations' fully active and ticked as "On Top or Default-Player".

4)

Finally, if you had been using the "Media-Player" prior to opening and running the PTE-Program ~ some of these Players are capable of showing 'Static-images' by virtue of their "File-Association-Listings" (3.above) which include Jpegs,Tiffs,Bmps etc; and these Players can sometimes try to open those Image (by default) and consequently interfere with the PTE-sequence and of course Pte will report.......

"Used by another Process".....

5)

In my opinion the following is a serious problem:- Each and every time I open V7.5+... it "Automatically-opens the Last Work in Progress"

whereas it should open a "New-Project Screen" giving me the choice of selecting what I want to do. But despite all the Control-Boxes and

Setup-ticks removed ~ it absolutely refuses to give me any choice of action unless I call for a "New-Project" with no Images nor Music and

then Save and then Delete it.~Where after it opens~ (as it should) with a new "Blank-Project Screen" giving me back my option to choose.

This is one for Igor and the Team

Rule of Thumb:

"Make sure there are no Editors nor Players active in the bottom Toolbar" ~ If you have to use Task-Manager to shut it, do so.

Hope this helps,

Brian.(Conflow)

Brian,

Your point no.5 in your post above is a report of a v7.5beta "problem". This should be raised in the v7.5 part of the forum and the paragraph removed from your reply to Jeff. However, are you aware of the follwoing in PTE:

In v7.0 - View > Advanced Options > Load Last Used Project

In v7.5 beta - Settings > Preferences > Project > Load last project on startup

Perssonally, I do NOT want a blank new project each time I start PTE. I want it to show me the project that I am currently working up.

Peter

Barrry, Brian and Peter,

Thank you all for your replies.

Firstly Barry. I removed version 7.0.6 and tried to install Version 7.0.7. I get the same error message. However if I chose to ignore this message then the installation completes and I can use this latest version - so far I have not detected any missing functions. However I notice that the error message contains the same type of error that I am experiencing when running PTE, i.e. file being used by another process.

Brian : I understand the various points you are making but I have been extra carefull to ensure that I am not using any other process (other of course than the operating system processes) when testing PTE. When PTE locks up with the file conflict message, the only way I can unlock it is to use Task Manager and this shows only one process running. So it is either a flaw in PTE (probably unlikely) or something in my system which is causing the conflict. As I get a file conflict message when trying to install PTE, maybe it is a problem with my system. I have just managed to find a copy of PTE Version 6.5 and I get the same file conflict error when using this version. So it looks like a problem with my system.

Peter : I agree with you that I want my last project to open and I do not have any problem with starting a new project if that is what I want to do. Generally I tend to work on a project for quite a long while, so opening the last version takes me straight to the current project.

Regards

Some further information.

Having removed all versions and installed Version 7.0.7 (by ignoring the error message during installation), I get the file conflict error message and PTE locks up every time I try to run the project from the "Preview" button or the "Toast" button. So I removed Version 7.0.7 and re-installed Version 7.0.6. This time I get NO error message during the install. So there is definatley something different between the two versions.

Regards

Some further information.

Having removed all versions and installed Version 7.0.7 (by ignoring the error message during installation), I get the file conflict error message and PTE locks up every time I try to run the project from the "Preview" button or the "Toast" button. So I removed Version 7.0.7 and re-installed Version 7.0.6. This time I get NO error message during the install. So there is definatley something different between the two versions.

Regards

Jeff,

Many thanks for your reply ~ Yes indeed 7.0.7 does 'Lock-Up' in certain circumstances and I had to use "Move-On-Boot" to get out because

Task-Manager was also locked !!

But my "BIG-PROBLEM" is that I cant get out of the situation where it 'ALWAYS OPENS' the last working Project where in fact I want to start

a "New Test-Project"... if you have some time try and start a New-Project and you may experience my difficulty.

I would value your comment on that.

Brian (Conflow)

But my "BIG-PROBLEM" is that I cant get out of the situation where it 'ALWAYS OPENS' the last working Project where in fact I want to start

a "New Test-Project"... if you have some time try and start a New-Project and you may experience my difficulty.

I tried with v 7.07 and it works the way you want (see screenshot below).

As I always have the option "Load last saved project" enabled, I opened an existing project, I un-ticked this option and went to an upper level in the file list so as not to be in a slideshow folder; then I closed PTE (even without saving this existing project).

I re-opened PTE and the label shown on top is "Project1", thus a brand new project to be started, and not the previous one.

I hope that the screenshot below corresponds to what you want to achieve.

post-704-0-33504500-1346700746_thumb.png

Jeff,

Many thanks for your reply ~ Yes indeed 7.0.7 does 'Lock-Up' in certain circumstances and I had to use "Move-On-Boot" to get out because

Task-Manager was also locked !!

Brian (Conflow)

Brian,

You will see that Peter and Gerard have already answered your query re opening a project and I confirm that you can choose either to open and existing project or open a blank PTE project file as they describe.

Further to my original query about the operation of PTE, I believe I have solved the issue of PTE locking up with a "file already in use" message. What I did was to un-install ALL PTE versions ( I had Version 6.5.8 installed previously). Then a did a registry clean and then a complete re-boot from sratch - not just a restart but a shut down and then re-boot. Then I installed Version 7.0.6 and this seems to be working correctly. There must be some conflict between Version 6.5.8 and Version 7, maybe due to the inclusioin of video file capability in Version 7, since the installation error when I tried to install Version 7.0.7 referred to to a FFMpef.dll file problem. Anyway Version 7.0.6 seems (so far) to be working correcty

Regards