WnSoft Forums

"Save" and "Create" problems

Roger Beck

For some reason PTE is Saving my file as the previously opened slide show. PTE needs to change the way this program opens, creates and saves slide shows or at least provide more prompts so that a newly created slide show is not saved as the previously open slide show.

I opened PTE and the previously opened slide show opened up automatically.

I cleared the slide list of all images.

I added images to the list and adjusted Project Options, Previewed etc.

I "Saved" the project as a PTE file and gave it a new name, as instructed in the Finmal Steps of the Help file.

Then I hit "File, Create" and PTE automatically, without any prompting, saved the open Slide Show I had created, which was named "Joe and Mary", as "Bill and Sue".

What gives?

Roger

This has been around for a long time and discussed a couple of times in the past on the forum.

It is not so much a bug as a different approach Igor is taking on that item.

As Leif says: use SAVE AS and CREATE AS and you should have no problem

Maybe its just me ... but I believe the file open/save process works pretty much as expected ... I have no problems working with it :)

- I would think if you opened a previously made pte file, edited it, and then just SAVED it ... it would normally be saved as its original pte filename without any prompts for a name change.

-Using SAVE AS gives a prompt to change name of the current opened pte filename.

I opened PTE and the previously opened slide show opened up automatically.

I cleared the slide list of all images.

I added images to the list and adjusted Project Options, Previewed etc.

I "Saved" the project as a PTE file and gave it a new name, as instructed in the Finmal Steps of the Help file.

It would have been much easier and faster just to click FILE/NEW ... it will automatically prompt for new project name ( which is actually the filename) and clear all slide contents. This process works even on the current opened file. Clicking SAVE will then use your new project name (filename) that was prompted.

I dont think the open/save process is what is working wrong here.

This has been around for a long time and discussed a couple of times in the past on the forum.

The subject of question is Igor's use of the term using Project as the filename. If you can overcome his naming convention used (project vs filename) ... things work just fine for me :lol:

I generally start any new Project in PTE using a basic Template - File>Templates>My Template - which clears for a fresh start. If I wish to work on a previous Project but not lose the original I use File>Save As on completion, just as one does in Photoshop. I cannot see any problem here or any need for change, I prefer to stick with standard conventions wherever possible.

Ron [uK]

While I sympathize with Roger, I, too, like the present system in PTE (even though it may be different from what someone new to the program might expect at first). What Igor has done is facilitate the work on an existing "project" by having the latest one pop up in the slide list each time one opens PTE.

This is a very handy feature, as it means one doesn't have to go "hunting" for the last project and then open it each time one wants to continue work on a slide show. As everyone knows, a slide show can sometimes take months of work before it is finished, so it is very handy to have it right there to work on each time one opens PTE again.

And, as Stu has said, it is very easy to clear the slide list and start a new one.

I can only suspect that some confusion is encountered by some users by the different SAVE and CREATE functions as listed in the File Menu.

- The top portion of the File Menu :

Open/Save/Save As/ etc only relates to .pte files and project templates

- The bottom portion of the File Menu below the spacer bar :

Create Slideshow/Create Slideshow AS/etc. only relates to creating the executable (exe or scr) of the .pte file.

The two functions provide alot of flexability in the SAVE and Create process ... but it may add some bit of confusion to a new user till they learn they are dealing with two different files.

Guest Techman1

All,

Like many of you I haven't found this to be a problem at all. I think it works very logical and you can turn off the option to load the last worked on project. I personally use the previous project many times and simply SaveAs a new project name. The Templates work well also.

Stu,

You are right about some confusion with regard to the PTE Project File Options vs. the PTE Output Options. This is why many developers use "Export Options" or something along that line so to hopefully lessen the confusion. This may be something Igor might want to consider, but as it is I find the program very easy to work with. This program is much nicer to use than most of the other slideshow type programs out on the market - IMHO.

Fred