WnSoft Forums

More Menu Problems (Solved but don't ask me how)

Guest Yachtsman1

On German AV festivals, sometimes a particular software is used for scheduling and playing exe files from various sources (Wings, m.objects, PTE), but also a lot of video formats. It is called AV-Event, developed by Frank Kießling (www.visionsofart.de). Sorry, it isn't cheap :(

Regards,

Xaver

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yachtsman1

On German AV festivals, sometimes a particular software is used for scheduling and playing exe files from various sources (Wings, m.objects, PTE), but also a lot of video formats. It is called AV-Event, developed by Frank Kießling (www.visionsofart.de). Sorry, it isn't cheap :(

Regards,

Xaver

Checked the web site but there isn't an English traslation, break it to us gently, how much?

Yachtsman1. :blink:

Guest Yachtsman1

Why do we need a third party (paid) app when PTE does it satisfactorily?

Peter has given ample direction on how to achieve what is required. If all else fails an "old fashioned" V4 Menu works really well.

DG

It doesnt work correctly, see my last post about the music, & what about all the millions of exe's that can't be up-dated because the original data is lost or no longer available,

Yachtsman1.

Checked the web site but there isn't an English traslation, break it to us gently, how much?

Yachtsman1. :blink:

From www.visionsofart.de: Preis/price: 71,- Euro (AV-Dialog Mitglieder erhalten 20% Rabatt / for members of AV-Dialog (German AV organization) there is a discount of 20%). Don't ask me for more information. Go to the web site and send an e-mail (in English).

Regards,

Xaver

Why do we need a third party (paid) app when PTE does it satisfactorily?

Isn't this a restricted view? Maybe a quick reply without taking time to think about the problems. On a today's AV festivals you will have contributions that are exe files from various sources (not only PTE), and a large part will be HD videos. Making a seamless presentation with this kind of stuff isn't that easy. PTE v4 or any other version is not a solution. PTE is an AV tool, not a universal AV player.

Regards,

Xaver

I agree with Xaver. PTE and AV should be seen in a broader perspective. If you organize an International (or even National) AV-festival or event, like the AV Internationals that took place last week in Cirencester, you must accept shows from various origins. I also agree with Yachtsman1 that today's restrictions of PTE Menu building are a pain in the neck.

Even if all AV-shows have all been produced with PTE (which is quite restrictive already), you can't build a special menu in order to have a smooth running of your event if the shows haven't been made with the same version of PTE. In this regard, PTE may be well suited for domestic use, but not for a wider use, for example when camera clubs are involved and when not everybody is using PTE (it's a shame, I know, but it's a fact) or when shows produced with PTE haven't been made with the same version as the one used by the organiser to build his Menu.

Most of the French organizers of AV-events or festivals (local, regional, national or international) use a 'launcher', designed by a professional who is well aware of the difficulties of organizing large public AV-events where AV-shows of various origins (Pte, Proshow, M-Objects, Wings Platinum, etc.) are projected. In fact, I sould say that this is the second one, as another had been developped earlier by somebody else,and used before, but I have no recent news about its use and development.

Since this program is free, but all in French, I'm not going to give its name here because its developper can't give any help or support.

But if the French can do it, and they are probably those who organise the more nation-wide AV-events during any given year, others should be able do it as well!

Xaver, Gerard,

I take your points but the OP described a domestic scenario and in that context I gave my opinion.

I tried some of Peter's suggestions before offering my opinion and in the context of a domestic scenario had no problems.

You guys, who are working on an International stage on a daily basis need the professioanal software.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Been doing some more testing to try to Make Peter's suggested method work on the sound side. As mentioned previously from 3 years back when producing a menu I have invariably added a sound clip to introduce the menu button page & one after to close the show, which IMO is the "professional" way to do things. When I use the method suggested yesterday & add my sound clips to the slides via customise slides, when an exe closes & the button page re-appears the opening music re-starts, previously there was silence on the button page which was fine with me. This morning I deleted the clip from the first slide & added it via the add sound button at the top of the page. Now the opening music doesn't play at all??? See SS.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-73486100-1348563675_thumb.jp

Can I try to offer a possible explanation regarding the non-playing of music?

Because the Menu is a multi slide project, the return will always be to the slide from which the exe was launched.

If the exe was launched from slide two the return will be to slide two.

If the music is attached to slide one then it will not play.

I am trying to get a grip on exactly what the problem is and that's my first attempt. I am also trying to learn.

If wrong I will try again based on further info.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Because the Menu is a multi slide project, the return will always be to the slide from which the exe was launched.

I am trying to get a grip on exactly what the problem is and that's my first attempt. I am also trying to learn.

DG

The exe was not launched from the first slide, it is launched from the 4th slide in the sequence see s*** oops :huh: , screen shots above, the music clip was attached to the first slide, either by customise slide or the add sound, which gives two different results, the first, the sound re-starts from the beginning after the exe ends, then when added via add sound doesn't play at all. Since then I tried ticking the synch music & slide box in PO (Google that Xaver)which throws up the usual error sign. :unsure:

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

I've just made a quick video to illustrate what is going on, excuse the picture quality, my camera doesn't like my monitor, & the narration, off the cuff no script.

For non Youtube users click the youtube symbol to get onto the site then the full screen symbol for full screen.

Yachtsman1. For some reason the link didn't open the vid' will try again. The plot thickens, posted the link again & got an error message saying I had posted too many media files, so I've deleted the first two links & added it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuPjLdeJAKs&feature=plcp

Will you try a new project - Blank Menu to prove principles?

Blank Menu attached so that we are singing from the same Hymn Sheet.

Open the Menu - it is a 7.0.7 project - make sure that it actually opens up in 7.0.7 and not an earlier version?

Add a different piece of music to each individual slide via the "Add Sound or Voice" button.

Run the show and step through the slides - a different piece of music should start for each new slide.

Link each Button (slides 2-4) to a PTE EXE (7.0.7) using "Run Show and Return".

DG

Blank Menu.zip

Guest Yachtsman1

DG

Just tried to re-look at this as there doesn't seem much enthusiasm from those that can get to grips with the problem. This morning on my Christmas presentation menu with 4 slides before the button page. I deleted the opening music from the first slide & added it to the second slide, result, when an exe ends, the opening music starts again from the beginning, when previously there was silence, as there should be. I would just like to repeat again in case Igor is watching, this bug is in version 7.07 which is the version currently being sold on his web site!!!.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

For anyone who is still interested? I have made a workaround of the menu bug in 7.07. Instead of Bing Crosby singing White Christmas over the opening titles then re-singing it 12 times when the button screen appears after each exe. I have now downloaded an orchestral version of White Christmas from Amazon, (which was another saga as they have introduced a new system for downloading called Cloud Player) I've taken the new WC (White Christmas) into Audacity, selected a 30 second clip where you can recognise the tune but it's not the original track start point, added a 5 sec' fade in & out and added it to the the first black/blank slide of the menu. So the sequence runs now as,- click the menu exe icon, the b/b slide appears & the new clip of wc plays. I advance the title slides manually (RH arrow) until the button slide appears. Then as the music fades I click the first exe button. When the exe finishes, the screen reverts to the button page, no (desk top) flash back & the new clip fades in. Then click the next exe button & repeat the sequence. This is the lesser of the two evils IMO.

Yachtsman1

an edited wc for menu start.mp3

I am going to try this once more and, depending on the reaction I get, I will either work with you or drop it completely – OK?

I have my Menu set up roughly as shown in the file I posted a while back. (Version 7.0.7 / Windows 7).

1920x1200 Project (my monitor Res) – Slide length 480s

Slide one – blank – Sound Clip added via "Add Sound"

Slide two – (Different) Sound clip added via "Add Sound" - this slide has a button with a link to a 1920x1080 V7.0.7 EXE using "Run Slideshow and Return"

Slide three – (Different) Sound Clip added via "Add Sound" – this slide has a button with a link to an earlier version 1920x1080 EXE using "Run Application or Open File"

Observations:

When stepping through the slides of the Menu the Sound Clip changes as expected – going forwards or backwards – and starts at the beginning each time.

On Slide Two clicking on the link takes me to the V7.0.7 show with no "Flash Back" – at the end of the show the Menu re-appears (no Flash back) and the sound associated with Slide Two plays from the beginning.

On Slide Three clicking on the link takes me to the pre-version 7 show with no "Flash Back" – at the end of the show the Menu re-appears (no Flash Back) and the sound associated with Slide Three plays (not from the beginning – from where it left off after clicking on the link).

What I would ask you to do is to repeat what I have described in a new test and see if you have the same reactions. Please think carefully before replying?

Best wishes,

DG

P.S. Still no Broadband and cannot play your video (yet).