WnSoft Forums

More Menu Problems (Solved but don't ask me how)

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I am going to try this once more and, depending on the reaction I get, I will either work with you or drop it completely – OK?

I'm happyish with my workaround, so for this & subsequent new menus I'll use my workaround until the bug is fixed.

I have my Menu set up roughly as shown in the file I posted a while back. (Version 7.0.7 / Windows 7).

Mine is as my last but 1 post

1920x1200 Project (my monitor Res) – Slide length 480s

Mine 1920x1080, slide lengths total inc button & black slides 35 seconds. Manual advance of slides via arrow key.

Slide one – blank – Sound Clip added via "Add Sound"

Slide 1 blank sound added via customise slide add music.

Slide two – (Different) Sound clip added via "Add Sound" - this slide has a button with a link to a 1920x1080 V7.0.7 EXE using "Run Slideshow and Return"

Slide 2 & 3 picture slides with text, 4 button slide, no music, 5 6 & 7, separate music clip added as first slide.

Slide three – (Different) Sound Clip added via "Add Sound" – this slide has a button with a link to an earlier version 1920x1080 EXE using "Run Application or Open File"

Slide 4 button slide 13 buttons linked to various exes from past 8 months, resaved as 7.07 versions & linked to buttons via Run Application or open file.

Observations:

When stepping through the slides of the Menu the Sound Clip changes as expected – going forwards or backwards – and starts at the beginning each time.

This is what I was getting but it didn't fit in with what I wanted so changed sound clip as described above in previous post

On Slide Two clicking on the link takes me to the V7.0.7 show with no "Flash Back" – at the end of the show the Menu re-appears (no Flash back) and the sound associated with Slide Two plays from the beginning.

On Slide Three clicking on the link takes me to the pre-version 7 show with no "Flash Back" – at the end of the show the Menu re-appears (no Flash Back) and the sound associated with Slide Three plays (not from the beginning – from where it left off after clicking on the link).

Not applicable to my set up.

What I would ask you to do is to repeat what I have described in a new test and see if you have the same reactions. Please think carefully before replying?

From what you have described, I should imagine I would get the same reaction, however, now I have a workable system i'll let it lie, however I still believe this is a bug that should be addressed before the final version of 7.5 is signed off.

Best wishes,

DG

P.S. Still no Broadband and cannot play your video (yet).

Thanks for your interest.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

Just attach your project menu.pte file to the board ( no music and image resources are needed). This way we have a better idea of all your settings and how to proceed. I will look for it after work today.

Hi Nobeefstu

Can you expand what you want, I'm not clear. :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hm,

I've completely lost interest in this thread but.......

It seems that the PTE has been saved in 7.0.7 and contains a feature no longer available in V7.0.7.

Customize Slide > Music Tab is no longer available in a new 7.0.7 project??????

If the music attached in this position is deleted and added via the "Add Sound or Voice" Button it seems to make a difference i.e. it works.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Hm,

I've completely lost interest in this thread but.......

It seems that the PTE has been saved in 7.0.7 and contains a feature no longer available in V7.0.7.

Customize Slide > Music Tab is no longer available in a new 7.0.7 project??????

If the music attached in this position is deleted and added via the "Add Sound or Voice" Button it seems to make a difference i.e. it works.

DG

Untick synch music & slides in project options, it appears. B)

Yachtsman1.

Untick synch music & slides in project options, it appears. B)

Yachtsman1.

Ah, well done. That's one for the memory bank - never used it!

I'll bow out then - I was foolish to think that I could have been of any assistance here. We all have our own ways of working and adapting to someone else's working practises is sometimes diffidult.

DG

Eric,

These are my observations of your submitted Memories of Summer.pte file.

@ Project Options:
Enabled: Wait for Key
Disabled: Syncronize Music
Enabled: Pause when slide show inactive

@ SLIDE 1
Your Comments:
Slide 1 blank sound added via customise slide add music
My Observations:
--Blank Slide, 5 sec, Wait
--No Objects, No Actions
--Slide Music (32 sec) Play New
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 2
Your Comments:
Slide 2 & 3 picture slides with text
My Observations:
--Image Slide, 5 sec, Wait
--2 Objects, No Actions
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 3
Your Comments:
My Observations:
--2 Objects, No Actions
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 4
Your Comments:
4 button slide, no music
My Observations:
--14 Objects, 1 Image- Action: Run Application, 13 Buttons Actions: Run Slideshow with Return
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 5
Your Comments:
5 6 & 7, separate music clip added as first slide.
My Observations:
--2 Objects, No Actions
--Slide Music (40 sec) Play New
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 6
Your Comments:
My Observations:
--2 Objects, No Actions
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 7
Your Comments:
My Observations:
--No Objects, No Actions
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

The Important Part

Now ... I need to know exactly how you want the music to behave. Where it should start, where it should stop, and where it should not play at all.. (The previous posts are too confusing to get any clear detail.)

Note:

* If you want music on a slide to stop playing from previous slide music ... enable checkbox Play New Background Music in Slide Music ... however, dont add any music files (keep it blank)

* Remember RunSlideshow and Run Application are two different actions and behave differently.

- RunSlideshow uses the same (one) engine for playback of PTE slideshows. This action does not promote desktop/taskbar flashback because of its single instance.

- Run Application uses different (multiple) engines for playback of PTE slideshows. This action promotes desktop/taskbar flashback because of multiple instances and varies on certain systems, video cards, or drivers.

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

These are my observations of your submitted Memories of Summer.pte file.

@ Project Options:
Enabled: Wait for Key
Disabled: Syncronize Music
Enabled: Pause when slide show inactive

@ SLIDE 1
Your Comments:
Slide 1 blank sound added via customise slide add music
My Observations:
--No Objects, No Actions
--Slide Music (32 sec) Play New
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 2
Your Comments:
My Observations:
--2 Objects, No Actions
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 3
Your Comments:
My Observations:
--2 Objects, No Actions
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 4
Your Comments:
4 button slide, no music
My Observations:
--14 Objects, 1 Image- Action: Run Application, 13 Buttons Actions: Run Slideshow with Return
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 5
Your Comments:
My Observations:
--2 Objects, No Actions
--Slide Music (40 sec) Play New
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 6
Your Comments:
My Observations:
--2 Objects, No Actions
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

@ SLIDE 7
Your Comments:
My Observations:
--No Objects, No Actions
--No Slide Music
--No Added Sound

The Important Part

Now ... I need to know exactly how you want the music to behave. Where it should start, where it should stop, and where it should not play at all.. (The previous posts are too confusing to get any clear detail.)

Note:

* If you want music on a slide to stop playing from previous slide music ... enable checkbox Play New Background Music in Slide Music ... however, dont add any music files (keep it blank)

* Remember RunSlideshow and Run Application are two different actions and behave differently.

- RunSlideshow uses the same (one) engine for playback of PTE slideshows. This action does not promote desktop/taskbar flashback because of its single instance.

- Run Application uses different (multiple) engines for playback of PTE slideshows. This action promotes desktop/taskbar flashback because of multiple instances and varies on certain systems, video cards, or drivers.

Hi Nobeefstu

Thanks for the analysis of the menu.

Nearly all my previous menus have been constructed the same way. Prior to this I used 7.04, "Run application or Open file". This worked fine in 7.07 but when transferred to my laptop had the desk top flash back, eventually I found I had 7.04 on the LT, up dated that to 7.07. enabled Run Slideshow with Return as suggested by others & made sure all the exes were made in 7.07. This prevented the flash back, but unlike previous menus. when an exe finished the music from the first slide re-played,which was not as the previous menus where there was silence when the button slide was on screen, this repeating music inhibited any comments I wanted to make to the audience between exes. So after many attemps to correct this, I changed the opening music to a piece that wouldn't sound like it was being constantly repeated & lowered the volume so I could talk over the music. I think your suggestion re ticking the "Play New Background Music" box in the button actuation slide will cure the music repeat. I will give it a try & report back. Thanks again for your efforts.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Up-date on the above, Nobeefstu's suggestion works, ticking the "Play New Background Music" and not adding a track, stops the music playing on the button slide. However not wanting to appear un-grateful, IMO this is only a workaround. Reason, if when scrolling through the opening slides, I arrive at the button slide before the natural music fade out, the music stops abruptly, whereas in previous menus, it finished playing naturally on the button slide. However the music doesn't re-play when the button screen reappears when an exe finishes, so it's six & two threes.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-04100100-1348732870_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

I have just gone back into one of my menus made in 2011, opened it with 7.07 to check if it had inherited the traits experienced. It doesn't, it works as it should, no repeat music, no flash back. For anyone still interested I have added it to this post with a "prnt scrn" (my keyboards terminology) of the contents of the menu which includes exes made prior to the Humming Bird logo type.!!!

Yachtsman1

Old file where the menu works as I constucted it.zip

post-5560-0-02259000-1348740430_thumb.jp

Gary,

IMO this is only a workaround. Reason, if when scrolling through the opening slides, I arrive at the button slide before the natural music fade out, the music stops abruptly,

This is normal behaviour with Manual slideshows. Since you are in control and if you jump-the-gun ... the sound playback becomes out of sync.

What you need to do then to control your manual advance actions ... is create the slideshow with Auto-Advance actions and intermittently adding Manual Advance(Wait) actions on selected slides ...or vise versa as Manual Advance(Wait) actions with intermittent Auto-Advance actions on selected slides.

PTE offers lots of flexibility here to support your needs in which to combine manual and auto in combination. See Image Attachment as an example for first 3 slides for making Manual Advance(Wait as default) actions with intermitant custom Auto-Advance actions and Loop actions on selected slides.

Play around with these Slide actions in your own slideshow so you have auto playback and manual control when you need it. There is alot you can do if you explore the features.

*I now personally prefer to use the Customize Windows feature to build the menu button aspect portions of a manual slideshow ... as these are available at any time using F1 key to suit ones needs or by button actions. See Attachment.

post-45-0-46083000-1348740604_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-83807700-1348740615_thumb.jpg

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Stu

That is a lot to remember, especially since last years worked as it should & accepted exe's from other versions. See my last post. I would love to write solved on this but until someone explains why last years worked & the current one needs a far longer work flow, I can't

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

That is a lot to remember, especially since last years worked as it should & accepted exe's from other versions.

Nothing has been changed or is different between last years version. Theres probably something different in your settings used in the older version you have missed upon. As I mentioned briefly in the earlier post ... mixing Run Slideshow and Run Application in the same menu slideshow can present another challenge when using music. I see that one of your run actions is Run Application ... whereas all others are Run Slideshow.

* You may also change the setting Enabled: Pause when slide show inactive to obtain certain playback behaviour.

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

Nothing has been changed or is different between last years version. Theres probably something different in your settings used in the older version you have missed upon. As I mentioned briefly in the earlier post ... mixing Run Slideshow and Run Application in the same menu slideshow can present another challenge when using music. I see that one of your run actions is Run Application ... whereas all others are Run Slideshow.

* You may also change the setting Enabled: Pause when slide show inactive to obtain certain playback behaviour.

Hi Stu

The Anomoly is, the older version works perfectly as it should, even with the different run sections ticked & older exes. Which according to others it shouldn't. Something basic was changed after 7.04 by the developers to cause the current difficulties & workarounds. Which IMO makes the programme more difficult to use.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Eric,

The Anomoly is, the older version works perfectly as it should, even with the different run sections ticked & older exes

I find this Anomoly interesting between v7.04 vs v7.07.

* Do you still have v7.04 installed and tested a menu with the same features/setting you are using in v7.07 ?

* Is your v7.07 difficulty more with Desktop/Taskbar Flashback playback display when using Run Application ... or with the project menu construction/control ?

Something basic was changed after 7.04 by the developers to cause the current difficulties & workarounds

* Are you still using the exact same PC/OS, Video Card, and Video drivers when v7.04 menu performed to your liking ?

* Were you using Run Slideshow or Run Application actions to launch your slideshows in v7.04 menu ?

* If v7.04 better performs to your liking vs v7.07 ... why not still use v7.04 to built the menu ?

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

I find this Anomoly interesting between v7.04 vs v7.07.

* Do you still have v7.04 installed and tested a menu with the same features/setting you are using in v7.07 ?

* Is your v7.07 difficulty more with Desktop/Taskbar Flashback playback display when using Run Application ... or with the project menu construction/control ?

* Are you still using the exact same PC/OS, Video Card, and Video drivers when v7.04 menu performed to your liking ?

* Were you using Run Slideshow or Run Application actions to launch your slideshows in v7.04 menu ?

* If v7.04 performs to your liking vs v7.07 ... why not still use v7.04 to built the menu ?

Hi Stu

I should be in bed now, but late night TV kept me up. :ph34r:

No I don't have 7.04, when I upgrade, I allow the new stable version to take over my existing unfinished projects.

The current problem started with a menu made in 7.07, converted to exe with different version exe's in it & Run Application etc set for each exe, which has worked perfectly with previous 7.04 menus.

It was then transferred to my lap top, which unbeknown to me was running 7.04, it was when I tried to use the transferred menu the flash backs happened. Then when I adopted Peter's suggestion to make all the exe's in 7.07 & use "Run Slideshow with return" the flashbacks ceased but the opening music repeating after each exe happened.The PC & LT have the same OS Windows 7 Professional 64bit, same ram but different graphics cards, both NVidia with updated drivers. Rather than go back to 7.04, I would prefer 7.5 to work on menus as 7.04.

Thanks for hanging in there, off to bed. :blink: .

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

The plot thickens!!! Today I made a new menu of exe's from 7.07 for my Spring 2013 presentation. I tried it on my desktop & it works as my 7.07 menus, but with no repeat music.

I have authorised the exes via "Run Slideshow" & return, made an exe of the menu, tested it to destruction & no bugs. I then transferred the folder to my laptop's drive C, only one drive on my LT, made a short cut to my desktop from the menu exe, & tested it, low & behold the flash back is back.

However the music does not re-start after each exe. I went into the folder & open the show via the PTE icon, checked the hardware acc' & it was still ticked, un ticked it, clicked the toaster to start the menu, the exe buttons don't actuate the exe's.

Stopped the show, re-ticked HA & re-tried, the buttons highlight when clicked but don't run the exe's. The only way I can get the show to run on the LT is to click the original DT shortcut made from when I installed the new show.

I'm b***oxd. I can only assume there is some difference in the LT which is causing this.

Yachtsman1.

Copy of new folder attached.

menu file.zip

Guest Yachtsman1

ERIC

you keep forgetting to mention --you did a download in the midst of the transfer and something happened - and think you were on the right track until then

ken

Hi Ken

You mean when I upgraded the LT NVidia graphics driver while transferring the original folder for the show? Do you think the upgrade is corrupted?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

I would like to add my tuppence worth which may or may not be of use to menu makers and not sure if causing any problems here.

Over the past few days I built a menu for a show I am presenting in a few weeks. It was made on my desktop Windows 7 Pro 64bit (with Microsoft Essentials AV) I am using Pte 7.0.5 and my presentation contains 13 seperate AV's. I resaved all my sequences (some from older versions of Pte) as exe files using this same version 7.0.5. I used the 'Run slideshow and return'. On my desktop the menu/buttons all ran like a dream. I did initially try the 'run application and return' method but this did give the flashback.

I transfered to my laptop (also Windows 7 Pro 64 bit) and disaster. Took so long to lauch the menu that I gave up waiting and had to go to task manager to close down and escape. Even if I waited a considerable time for the menu to launch some of the slide shows did not seem to run smoothly. Made a new folder with only the exe files (less the menu) and each exe launched. All my previous show menu's built with earlier versions of Pte had run ok so why not the latest version?

In desperation after rebuilding menu several times experimenting with different approaches and still unable to launch I was ready to give up and prepare my show to launch straight from the desktop.

Eventually a light at the end of the tunnel led me to disconnect from the web and switch off Firewall/Anti Virus/Spam filter. My laptop uses McAfee Security Centre which has until now given me good service. Having switched McAfee off what a difference. The menu launched straight away and so did all the slideshows. So in my case my Anti Virus software is what was causing the problem.

Brianh

Guest Yachtsman1

I would like to add my tuppence worth which may or may not be of use to menu makers and not sure if causing any problems here.

Over the past few days I built a menu for a show I am presenting in a few weeks. It was made on my desktop Windows 7 Pro 64bit (with Microsoft Essentials AV) I am using Pte 7.0.5 and my presentation contains 13 seperate AV's. I resaved all my sequences (some from older versions of Pte) as exe files using this same version 7.0.5. I used the 'Run slideshow and return'. On my desktop the menu/buttons all ran like a dream. I did initially try the 'run application and return' method but this did give the flashback.

I transfered to my laptop (also Windows 7 Pro 64 bit) and disaster. Took so long to lauch the menu that I gave up waiting and had to go to task manager to close down and escape. Even if I waited a considerable time for the menu to launch some of the slide shows did not seem to run smoothly. Made a new folder with only the exe files (less the menu) and each exe launched. All my previous show menu's built with earlier versions of Pte had run ok so why not the latest version?

In desperation after rebuilding menu several times experimenting with different approaches and still unable to launch I was ready to give up and prepare my show to launch straight from the desktop.

Eventually a light at the end of the tunnel led me to disconnect from the web and switch off Firewall/Anti Virus/Spam filter. My laptop uses McAfee Security Centre which has until now given me good service. Having switched McAfee off what a difference. The menu launched straight away and so did all the slideshows. So in my case my Anti Virus software is what was causing the problem.

Brianh

Hi Brian

Thanks for your interest, but anti virus is an old chestnut. I use MSA & it is not running through out any of the tests.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric

not a good practice to update anything while doing something else -- they warn you all the time to shut down other processes and to save your work

you could have upset the apple cart your self - the update was likely ok

but???????

i dont know if a system restore is advisable or not - maybe Stu or others will have more advise

but the way you are going you are digging a deeper hole to get out of

i sure hope you have a log of everything you did up to now

ken