WnSoft Forums

Bug recording voice comments

Cedric Dawnhawk

I found a problem in v7.04 with recording comments directly to slides which I reported in the forum back in Jamuary. I've just tried the same thing in v7.07 and there still seems to be the same issue. To reproduce it do the following:

1. Select a slide, Click Add Sound or Voice | Record Voice Comment. Record then click Save and Exit.

2. Select the same slide, Click the Add Sound or Voice button (now labelled with the file name) then Record Voice Comment. The filename and the path show the previously recorded sound file. Record another comment and click Save and Exit.

I assumed this would overwrite the previous sound file but it doesn’t. I tried browsing for and selecting the original file and confirming yes to replace it before recording the new comment. The original was still not replaced. What seems to happen is that temporary hidden sound files are left in the selected folder. These files persist and are not deleted when Pictures to Exe is closed.

If the original file is not supposed to be overwritten then a message stating this would be useful, and the dialog saying the file will be overwritten shouldn’t really appear. Maybe someone could try this and confirm that I am not missing something?

Just noticed version 7.5 is available. I have checked and the problem is still present.

There is also another bug. If I right click on a slide with a comment attached, and select Edit Audio Comment I get an error "Invalid class typecast."

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Cedric,

Please excuse me for late response!

There is also another bug. If I right click on a slide with a comment attached, and select Edit Audio Comment I get an error "Invalid class typecast."

I confirm this bug! We just fixed it for final version 7.5.1.

But I can't reproduce first issue with replacing of audio comment.

Cedric,

I do not use PTE to record comments so cannot accurately reproduce your problem. If I add an audio file and then go back to that slide, I no longer have "Add..." as an option, only "Remove..." or "Replace...". If I choose to "Replace..." PTE then replaces correctly. What happens in your case if you "Remove..." the audio file before making the new recording? Does that give you a work-around?

Peter

Cedric,

I do not use PTE to record comments so cannot accurately reproduce your problem. If I add an audio file and then go back to that slide, I no longer have "Add..." as an option, only "Remove..." or "Replace...". If I choose to "Replace..." PTE then replaces correctly. What happens in your case if you "Remove..." the audio file before making the new recording? Does that give you a work-around?

Peter

Thanks for your interest.

The problem is that when you try to save a new recording to a file with the same name as an existing file, PTE appears to save the new recording, but in fact does not do so. The original file is not replaced. Instead the new recording remains in a hidden file which is possibly a temporary file created whilst the recording is being made. However the 'temporary' file is not deleted when PTE is closed.

Your suggestion will work, but only because if you remove the existing audio file first, then click the record button, PTE suggests a new file name that is different from any existing ones. However if you manually select the removed file name before recording, PTE will not overwrite it.

Andrew