WnSoft Forums

Adding Multiple Slides to video clips

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I am trying to advance my key frames knowledge by creating a show from images & video clips from the internet. The video clips total 4 minutes, played consecutively, I have 30+ still images that I want to add to the clips in time to the music & fading them in & out as the video progresses. I have added the first slide as Lin explained, but failed on the second & subsequent slides. Lin mentioned "offset" which is where I may be falling down :blink:/> but cannot get out of the loop. At one stage two of the images were linked together when draged one way & separate when dragged the other way. I am using 7.07.

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

I'm a bit unclear on what you are trying to achieve. Do you want the still slides to sequence "behind" the video for the duration of your show? If so, the way I would proceed would be to first bring all of your video clips into PTE and create a single MP4. Then insert the single mp4 as the video for your slides. The reason for this is that you are going to have to designate the video as a "master" then insert it into each slide. This will keep the video playing smoothly without interruption as the slides advance.

If this isn't what you want, let me know exactly what you wish to achieve and I'll try to help you sort it.

Best regards,

Lin

Use KFSD and drag all four videos into the Slide List.

Go to Timeline and note the total duration. Divide total duration by 30 - that's the time for each image which need four keyframes.

Go to Slide 1 (Video 1) and enter O&A.

In the Object panel add image one and arrange keyframes as shown below.

post-2488-0-41346600-1352922158_thumb.jp

Add a second Image in the Object Panel. Arrange Keyframes as shown in example 2.

post-2488-0-67443900-1352922176_thumb.jp

Hi Dave,

I think this was what prompted my question: " I have 30+ still images that I want to add to the clips in time to the music & fading them in & out as the video progresses" .... If this is indeed what Eric wants to do, then with the multiple video clips made into one master clip, he doesn't need to be concerned with clip transitions and such and can simply concentrate on which clip to fade in and out and when. He just has to include the video with each still frame and it will play uninterrupted to the end.

Eric didn't say that he needed or wanted to end the stills and video at the same time which is why I asked for more clarification before making a recommendation. With the video as a master it will keep chugging along regardless of what he does with the stills - how long the duration, etc., as long as the total duration time of the stills doesn't exceed the run time of the video.

Maybe we can get some more input from Eric on exactly what he is planning and then it will be much easier to determine the best way to proceed?

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Guys

Mastercheff & a new series of The Hour pulled, back now. The video clips have been cropped from a 5 minute video from youtube, it had a couple of bits I didn't want so I took them out using PTE's conversion/edit function. the clips are such poor quality (Edwardian street scene) I've left them as they are & not combined into one full length video as the trasitions fit in with the show's theme, but that is easily done if required. The video forms the background of the stills as they fade in & out. I've shown a screen shot of the first scene with a still superimposed over the background video. My stumbling block is adding the second & subsequent stills. I will add as many stills as necessary to fill the time of the video, 30 being a guess at how many, it could be less or more depending on how long I have to make the slides to fit the music. The titles & video clips total 4m 4s, 244 seconds with tolerance on the titles to increase or decrease the beginning & end. Any help gratefully received.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-69733200-1352932495_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-68220300-1352932516_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-34770500-1352932568_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

I'll proceed as I would do it were it my own project - step by step and I'll assume Dave will do the same with his method.

The first thing I would do is combine the separate video clips into one by putting them all into a PTE show then exporting a single MP4.

The next step would be to open a new slideshow and add the new combined mp4. If PTE suggests "converting" it to the AVI, I would do so.

Next go to Objects and Animations Screen - Property Tab and change the default of "Single Video Clip" to "Master Video Track" - just click on the down arrow to the right and choose...

Next add all of your still slides as follows: Go to the first slide which has only the video and add the first still image. Put it on top of the video and size and position as desired. Next go back to the "Slide View" and add all the other still slides until you have all 30 entered.

Next copy the video from the first slide by right clicking on it and "paste" it to each slide. As you do this, move the still slides and position them as you wish making sure that each is at the top layer and is not a "child" of the video. Just be certain that when you paste the video to each slide, you do not have that slide "selected" and there will be no issue with the parent/child relationship.

Once you have this done for all slides, you may want to preview to determine if your positions and sizes of the still images are as you want.

Now you can go into each slide and set the "time" of display and place your keyframes to turn the stills off and on in synchronization with the music.

The way I would proceed is to simply place all the keyframes first, the go to the timeline view and move the keyframes to synchronize with your sound. Visually arrange them along the timeline to correspond to your video accordingly.

That's about all there is to it. By making the video a "Master" - it will continue to play uninterrupted as the slides sequence.

Let me know if you get into trouble.

I assume David can explain how he would proceed if there is anything further he would add from what he has already discussed.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Guys

Mastercheff & a new series of The Hour pulled, back now. The video clips have been cropped from a 5 minute video from youtube, it had a couple of bits I didn't want so I took them out using PTE's conversion/edit function. the clips are such poor quality (Edwardian street scene) I've left them as they are & not combined into one full length video as the trasitions fit in with the show's theme, but that is easily done if required. The video forms the background of the stills as they fade in & out. I've shown a screen shot of the first scene with a still superimposed over the background video. My stumbling block is adding the second & subsequent stills. I will add as many stills as necessary to fill the time of the video, 30 being a guess at how many, it could be less or more depending on how long I have to make the slides to fit the music. The titles & video clips total 4m 4s, 244 seconds with tolerance on the titles to increase or decrease the beginning & end. Any help gratefully received.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Lin,

More or less the same thing except that I would not make the single video from the 4 individual clips.

It is easy to fade more than one image in and out in the space allotted by one of the video clips. Spanning two video clips with a single image if necessary does not take a lot of imagination. 6 of one ..........

DG

Gents,

I'm going to watch this topic develop, rather than offer any thoughts on techniques, at this stage. To offer a third set of techniques (if one occurs to me) would run the risk of confusing Eric with too many options. I will contribute at the end, if I have any further comments. All I will say right now is: my interpretation of Eric's opening post is that he wants to learn the technique(s) as much as, and possibly more than, he wants to complete the sequence.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Chaps

Just a flying visit, I've just converted all the still slides to png's as I wanted to get a faded edge to the images to fit in with the vintage look to the show, so I haven't tried to follow the instructions yet, other than combine the separate video clips to one MP4. By combining the clips I've increased the file size of the original Youtube video from 34MB to over 250MB, which excludes it from my Mediafire account :(/> , back later, BTW, this is not a one off I hope, hopefully the technique will stick in my memory banks if I want to use it again.

Regards

Yachtsman1.

Peter, It seems the Southport AV group has risen from obscurity once more, I'm giving an Audacity demo next week.

Guest Yachtsman1

From Lin's instructions-

"Next add all of your still slides as follows: Go to the first slide which has only the video and add the first still image. Put it on top of the video and size and position as desired. Next go back to the "Slide View" and add all the other still slides until you have all 30 entered.

Clarification required, add them from where & how, as ADD Slide in O&A? or by right clicking space at bottom of O&A properties tab?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Gone as far as I could trying a couple of methods, couldn't add slides to vid clip in normal view without highlighting them. tried via O&A properties & left it at that. just been to vote for our new Police Comissioner, & now it's lunch time, back later.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-26309300-1352980971_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-65165300-1352980991_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-97168700-1352981016_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

The "easiest" way to add all slides except the first slide is from the "slide view."

Open your project which should now contain the single video as a master.

The default view is the "slide view" so that's where you "should" be when you first open PTE 7.0. Simply drag and drop the slides one at a time or use the CTRL left mouse button to select all the slides except the first still slide and drag and drop all the other slides into the area to the right of the "video" which now occupies the place for the first slide. Drag them and drop them into their correct relative positions if they are not already arranged in the proper sequence.

Once you have done this - click on the video in the slide list at the far "left" of all the slides to highlight it, then navigate to the Objects and Animations screen.

When you arrive at the Objects and Animations screen, you will first click outside the area of the video in order to "unselect" it (no longer highlighted in blue) so that when you add the first still slide, it does not become a "child" of the video.

Now right click in the area below the video, choose add image, find the first still slide and double click it. It should now appear above the video which is where you want it. Size and position the still slide where you want it to appear.

Next, click on the video name in the Object List (same place where the video and still slide name appear - we haven't moved anywhere) then right click the mouse and choose "Copy."

To this point you have added the video all still slides including the first still and are now ready to paste the video to each still slide.

***Do not leave Objects and Animations, but left click on the small far right arrow in the far upper right corner of your screen to navigate to slide number 2. Observe that on the very top left of your screen, it should now say Slide 2 of 30 (or 2 of however many slides you added).

The number two slide name will be highlighted, so left click the mouse below the slide name to unselect (we unselect because we don't want to paste the video as a child object)

Now right click the mouse and "paste" the video. The video will appear "above" the still slide, but we want it below the still slide. To achieve this, with the video still highlighted hold down the CTRL key and press the PG Dn key. This will move the video slide below the still slide where we want it. Now size and position the still slide.

Repeat the process from the *** above for each of the 30 slides. That is, navigate to each slide deselect the slide, paste the video then move the video below the still slide in the Objects List.

Once you have done this for all 30 slides, go back to slide one, click on the still slide and add keyframes as David indicated to turn on and off the opacity. The way I would do it is to add the keyframes to all your slides and only then go back to each one via the timeline and sequence the timing for turning them on and off via the Objects and Animations Opacity feature

Best regards,

Lin

Click

Tried that but end up with screen shot MM2 above. Can't move to the next step until I understand what is wrong with what I've done so far, if it is wrong?

Yachtsman1

Eric,

I'm still not commenting on a specific technique. From your screen shots I think you are possibly making things more complicated than they should be at this stage of your learning. You seem to have created a slide with a lot of objects on it. You may be better off working "one small step at a time". My suggestion would be to get the video and one still image working as you want. Then add a second still image and get that working as you want, then add the third still image, etc. Working in this manner, one step at a time, I feel sure you will build your confidence in what you are doing. You will also be taking a steady set of checkpoints in respect of your understanding.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All

Just copied Lin's latest instruction. Peter I had got the show with the first slide operating as it should on the video yesterday, it's when I go to the second slide things go haywire. I will digest Lin's message & have another try later this evening & come back and report. Thanks to all once more.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Template available to download from here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70942558/1024%20Video_Nov15-2012_18-48-46.zip

The same video clip is used 4 times to save space. Coloured rectangles have been used in place of images to save space.

No attempt has been made at synchronization.

It purely shows basic principles!!

KFSD used to join the basic 4 videos together.

Thanks DG

I haven't had another try at creating what I want yet, need a clear head. I will try tomorrow & let you know how I go on.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

I've made a fresh start to the project following Lin's latest instructions, one question before I proceed further, is there any difference between the right click action in O&A on the time line "add keyframe here" or right clicking the time timeline & the the "Create keyframe here" button?.

Yachtsman1.

Progress so far-

post-5560-0-19470200-1353061167_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-57808300-1353061182_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-19708600-1353061204_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Lin wrote-

(When you arrive at the Objects and Animations screen, you will first click outside the area of the video in order to "unselect" it (no longer highlighted in blue) so that when you add the first still slide, it does not become a "child" of the video.

Now right click in the area below the video, choose add image, find the first still slide and double click it. It should now appear above the video which is where you want it. Size and position the still slide where you want it to appear.)

However, ignoring the screen shots from this mornings post, which show the full slide list added at one hit. I deleted all but the video & re-started trying to follow Lin's instruction to the letter. With only the video in O&A & greyed out, when I right click in the area below the video, the video becomes highlighted in blue, so I'm confused :blink:/> is this correct, do I proceed & select the slides with the video highlighted. See screen shot.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-02231600-1353062807_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

To "unselect" you "left click" in the area outside of the selected object whether that be a video or a still image. You want to "remove" the blue highlight before pasting the video to subsequent slides.

The number two slide name will be highlighted, so left click the mouse below the slide name to unselect (we unselect because we don't want to paste the video as a child object)

The idea is to be certain that you do not accidentally make the still image a "child" of the video.

I believe Peter's idea of just adding one additional slide is a good one until you get the hang of it. So just put the video as a master and add one still image to the first slide and get them in their proper respective positions, then add a second slide and copy and paste the video to it and arrange them in O&A with the still slide in the upper layer. Do the keyframes for these two and get them the way you want and proceed to sequentially add additional slides and paste the video, etc. Minimize the potential for confusion that way.

Best regards,

Lin