WnSoft Forums

PTE 7.5 VIDEO/AUDIO

petejack

Hi, when using a beta version of 7.5 I imported a video onto the audio track using the...'audio accepts video files as soundtracks'...button.

I have forgotten how I did it! I cannot now find the said button. It is mentioned on page 8 of the user manual. Can anyone tell me where I can (re)find it?

I can achieve what I wish to do, have a video on the slide track, sound muted, with a stand alone audio track that I can edit. By importing a video file...project options/add audio file/selecting audio files to video files and then aligning the 2 tracks. My concern is that I am increasing the file size by using this method. Or does importing this way JUST import the audio as the video is not viewable anyway? Hope this makes sense!

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete,

Xaver has already explained "how to" do the process - I will just address your question of increasing file size:

PTE is rather unique in that adding the same image or video multiple times does not increase file size. Try it for yourself. Create an executable slideshow with only a single video. Look at the properties and remember the file size.

Now add the identical video as separate slides multiple times and create another exe slideshow which will play the same video over and again as separate slides. Look at the properties and compare the file size. It will be identical.

No matter how many times you add the same slide or video to your slideshow, it will not increase the size of the file.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Pete,

If you were to output the slideshow to a "video" such as an mp4 h.264 the file size would increase a great deal with multiples of the same slide or video, but remember how an exe works - it is a set of instructions to your computer to perform some specific action and when that action is identical, it's not necessary to store the "instruction and source" more than one time. So no matter how many times you ask it to "run" a particular video or "display" a particular slide, the necessary components to do so are only stored once.

On the other hand, when you create a video, each manifestation or incremental change is represented by a separate image. So just a pan or zoom of a slide results in each tiny change being stored so that it can be displayed on a "dumb" device such as a media player on a television, etc. Whereas on a computer with a somewhat "intelligent" (in that it can follow a broad range of instructions) operating system and processor, the device can create the incremental "slides" on the fly without having to store each one for playback. For that reason, our executable shows are usually much smaller in file size than a video show having the identical content.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin that answers the file size bit. I had tried adding the video on more than 1 track and as you say the file size remained unchanged, i couldn't understand it!

Cheers Pete.

Thanks guys, For the most part I use exe files so I guess that for exe files I'm OK. Will have a play with dvd options...but I imagine the short videos that I tend to produce (usually 10-12 minutes) would fit on a 4.7gig dvd no problem! Will check out the Audacity route as well. The mp4 issue with video may cause me a size problem if I convert for ipad then! I will try just to see. The other file that I use is mkv (I think that's right) to use on a WD TV live hub. Will try that for size as well.

Thanks for the info, always impressed with pte exe site and users.

Pete

This method has one big drawback.The extract audio from a video to mp4 is named, for example, video.mp4. This file is not saved in the Explorer and can not be edited in an audio editor. It is better to extract the audio from a video using Audacity or Freemake Video Converter.

If you do it as described above, inserting the video twice, once as a video in the slide track, secondly as an audio clip in an audio track, no audio will be extracted. The exe file will only include the video file once, and it will be interpreted in two ways.

Regards,

Xaver

Pete,

I cannot speak for iPad videos but today I have been playing around with iPhone videos to run on my Samsung mobile phone. A 1920x1080 project which produced a 255MB EXE file (heavy with embedded video clips and a WAV soundtrack) produced a 50MB video file for iPhone. The only customization I did was during the output to video where I set the width and height values to fit within the native resolution of my phone: 480x320. It is quite possible that I could have reduced the video file size still further if I had experimented with some of the other options.

regards,

Peter

If you do it as described above, inserting the video twice, once as a video in the slide track, secondly as an audio clip in an audio track, no audio will be extracted. The exe file will only include the video file once, and it will interpreted in two ways.

Regards,

Xaver

I understand that but....How do you change the audio from this video without being able to access an audio editor?

Once you have placed the video into the audio track, you use the same audio tools you would use had you placed an MP3, etc., there. You have full control via the Envelope with keyframes and you have fade-in, fade-out, volume, offset, start time, etc.,

On the Properties Tab in Objects and Animations - set the Video to "Mute" then insert the video as an audio and the control panel will pop-up and give you access to the audio editing features.

Best regards,

Lin

I understand that but....How do you change the audio from this video without being able to access an audio editor?

Once you have placed the video into the audio track, you use the same audio tools you would use had you placed an MP3, etc., there. You have full control via the Envelope with keyframes and you have fade-in, fade-out, volume, offset, start time, etc.,

On the Properties Tab in Objects and Animations - set the Video to "Mute" then insert the video as an audio and the control panel will pop-up and give you access to the audio editing features.

Best regards,

Lin

Yes, but if we could open an audio editor can make various changes as e.g. noise reduction, reduce certain frequencies... etc...etc If an audio file was created from the video can do it all.

Bearing in mind all that has been said about file size growing and other problems, as I said in my original post I have been creating shows with the 2 video tracks (1 audio muted and 1 used to control audio) what I am still curious about is the 'audio accepts video files as soundtracks'...button. Does anybody know what it does, what effect using it has on file size, and does it indeed even exist, as I cannot find it. As I said prior to full 7.5 release I used it. It is mentioned on page 8 of the guide. Anybody out there know where to find it!

Thanks Pete

... Does anybody know what it does, what effect using it has on file size, and does it indeed even exist, as I cannot find it. As I said prior to full 7.5 release I used it. It is mentioned on page 8 of the guide. Anybody out there know where to find it ...

What I see on page 8 does not say that there exists a button, sorry :(

Regards,

Xaver

It doesn't work that way in PTE. The idea was to be able to keep perfect synchronization between the video and audio. Sometimes when audio is extracted from a video and then reinserted as an audio track with the audio track in the original video muted (such as you would perhaps get by extracting the audio for an audio editor) the synchronization is not perfect. The sound track may be slightly ahead or behind the video and it can become very difficult to match them properly. This can often be seen where there is speaking or singing and the movement of the lips doesn't synchronize with the words.

There is no problem using third party software to extract the audio and them manipulate it in Audigy or Audacity or other sound editor if you wish - but there is always the possibility that the synchronization would be disrupted. By doing as Igor has, this doesn't happen but you still can adjust volume, use the waveform with keyframes to fade-in, fade-out and all the other audio features built-in to PTE all without disrupting the synchronization as long as you don't offset. Once the audio is truly "extracted" and made into a separate file, this synchronization can no longer be guaranteed.

It's a very workable solution, in my opinion, and there is no reason why you can't proceed with other options such as extracting the audio and manipulating it in an editor then reintroducing it, but you take your chances that synchronization might be adversely affected. I believe that is why the decision was made to do it this way.

Best regards.

:om

Yes, but if we could open an audio editor can make various changes as e.g. noise reduction, reduce certain frequencies... etc...etc If an audio file was created from the video can do it all.

Perhaps you are referring to the drop down "choice" between audio files such as mpg, etc., and Video Files which is found in Project Options - Add Audio File - Files of Type. On the right side where there is a small blue square with a small "down arrow" in black, if you click there you will be offered the choice of "Video Files" ??

Best regards,

Lin

The word 'Button' is just my terminology. Like I said I have used the 'audio accepts video files as soundtracks' facility a week or two ago, and it was a button to select the option, I just cannot find it again, maybe it has been removed!

No, I actually used the 'audio accepts video files as soundtracks'...button. That is exactly how it appeared on the screen. You selected this option prior to importing the video! The method that you mention is the way that I have been doing it. Like I say maybe it has been removed, perhaps one of the developers can cast some light on it!

Pete

Hi Pete,

I guess I just missed that - it must have been on one of the Betas and have been removed. The developer is on holiday so probably won't know for a while...

Best regards,

Lin

No, I actually used the 'audio accepts video files as soundtracks'...button. That is exactly how it appeared on the screen. You selected this option prior to importing the video! The method that you mention is the way that I have been doing it. Like I say maybe it has been removed, perhaps one of the developers can cast some light on it!

Pete

Vilara,

Does PTE Create an audio file from a Video clip or does it USE the audio contained within the video?

Two different things?

The Audio File is a "virtual" audio file and does not exist as a separate MP3. Are you asking that PTE should EXTRACT the MP3 from the Video clip? Are there not other softwares that will do that?

DG

Lin, I understand the concerns of synchronization possible, but my question is simple: PTE know create an audio file from a video clip, why does not a usable mp3 sound file? My question is simple, the answer should also be.

Just a remark: There are still patents on mp3.

Regards,

Xaver