WnSoft Forums

Third Images

Mike Reed

In the days of slide projection we tried to obtain a third image by holding the transition at the half way point so that the combine effect of the two slides produced a third image. In these digital times I know we can obtain simulation by using photoshop and layers but I am not sure if it can be done by using a dissolve pattern in PTE. That is unless somebody out there has discovered how to do it.

So if it can be done entirely in PTE please tell me how to do it.

It can be done now if you use PTE's ability to create layers in the Objects and animation screen

Image 1 would be added in the usual way, but image 2 would be added via the Objects and Animation screen. Using keypoints you could then determine that slide 2 fades up to (lets say 50%) and holds there for a second or two. (Mid fade hold) Then fades up to full intensity. It would require 4 keypoints at least.

From the first keypoint to the second you use the opacity in Objects and Animation to reduce opacitiy of the second image. Between Keypoint 2 and 3 you hold and do nothing for the time you want both images to be seen together. From Keypoint 3 to 4 you use the opacity control and bring the second image up to 100%

The better news is we can do this far beter now with our image editors and actually create a third image, a derivitive of the the original two. The reason it can be much better is that in the old days we had no control over what part of the two images in mid fade showed up well. Now we do by creating a real third image. In addition we have all those blend modes in Photoshop and Elements that allow us creative control of our third image and if that wasn't enough we have masks too.

way of creating a third image was a bit clumsy compared to what we have now. In fact t opens up a whole new slide show technique.

Customise transition?

Still not as good as third party editing but will produce what you describe above without having to add key frames every time?

Worth looking at.

DG

It is also possible to include a Mask in the Custom Transition and by using this you can isolate a portion of the incoming image during the centre portion of the transition.

DG

Dave

I thought about a custom transition as I was driving around yesterday thinking about my post. It would work quite well and you could make a few of them, holding at 30%, 50% and 70% so you cover most eventualities.

I suppose the only thing an author would need to think about is how long to hold at those percentages, but that could vary too.

Still far better done in an image editor, more creative too and simpler in PTE

There are two kinds of Custom Transitions. The first is the kind that is tailored toward specific images in your project and should be saved to your project folder. Artem says that he has fixed a small bug which will make this kind more easily editable.

The other kind can be used again and again and should be kept in an effect folder. In this case the length of the effect is immaterial and the"timeline" of the Custom Transition should be treated as a percentage and not a fixed time. These are then expandable to suit any two images in any project.

Masks can be included and any of the animation effects available in O and A.

IMHO etc

DG

It can be done now if you use PTE's ability to create layers in the Objects and animation screen

Image 1 would be added in the usual way, but image 2 would be added via the Objects and Animation screen. Using keypoints you could then determine that slide 2 fades up to (lets say 50%) and holds there for a second or two. (Mid fade hold) Then fades up to full intensity. It would require 4 keypoints at least.

From the first keypoint to the second you use the opacity in Objects and Animation to reduce opacitiy of the second image. Between Keypoint 2 and 3 you hold and do nothing for the time you want both images to be seen together. From Keypoint 3 to 4 you use the opacity control and bring the second image up to 100%

The better news is we can do this far beter now with our image editors and actually create a third image, a derivitive of the the original two. The reason it can be much better is that in the old days we had no control over what part of the two images in mid fade showed up well. Now we do by creating a real third image. In addition we have all those blend modes in Photoshop and Elements that allow us creative control of our third image and if that wasn't enough we have masks too.

way of creating a third image was a bit clumsy compared to what we have now. In fact t opens up a whole new slide show technique.

This is another argument against the call for Igor to improve/expand/add features to image editing within PTE as a recent thread was about.

I believe that advanced editing of images - and sound, for that matter - is best done in image and sound editing programs rather than trying to do it all in PTE, as Barry has said above.