WnSoft Forums

Lost file association with 7.51 installation

goddi

Greetings,

As it happened with the previous install of RC7.5, after today's install of 7.5.1, I lost the file association with .pte files. I installed 7.5.1 first. Then I uninstalled RC7.5. But RC7.5 was not listed in the MyComputer's uninstall list. I had to uninstall it using PTE's 'unins000.exe'. I notice that when 7.5.1 was installed, it did not ask if I wanted the defaults (or whateverit asks for) from the previous version of PTE. It asked me only after I openned 7.5.1.

See http://www.picturest...__1#entry102198 for the previous posting when it happened to the RC7.5 install.

When I would try to open a .pte file, it would open in Excel. When I would try to re-associate the .pte with the 7.5.1 PTE version, it would not stick. It kept openning in Excel. However, running the 'OpenWithView.exe' program, it worked to restore the file association. But this puzzles me that it has happened twice and the install process, both times, has not looked normal.

I am wondering if there is something that is not installing correctly with the RC7.5 and now with the 7.5.1 that is causing the .pte file association to disappear.

Gary

P.S. And I just now notice that the 7.5.1 PTE is not listed in the MyComputer's uninstall list of programs.......What happened?

Gary,

I haven't installed 7.5.1 yet but I would have expected it to have over-written v7.5.0. So when you uninstalled v7.5 you actually uninstalled v7.5.1. If I am right then right now you do not have any version 7.5 installed.

Peter

==========================

Peter,

No, I always install any update or beta in a new folder first. Then I uninstall the previous version.

Another thing that always happens is when I uninstall the previous version (after installing the new version), it always deletes the desktop shortcut of the new version and leaves the desktop shortcut of the old version. Never understood why it does that. It always happens. And why isn't the 7.5.1 version in the MyComputers uninstall page???

Gary

I agree, if you uninstall any previous version it may remove file association for last working version. Because unstaller "does not know" that another version may use same file association. I'll try to rework this code in future version or updates.

Also one important point. Minor updates 7.5.x (like version 7.5.1) by default install into same folder of major version (for example 7.5) and replaces program files of v7.5. If you try to uninstall v7.5 it will remove 7.5.1.

I agree, if you uninstall any previous version it may remove file association for last working version. Because unstaller "does not know" that another version may use same file association. I'll try to rework this code in future version or updates.

Also one important point. Minor updates 7.5.x (like version 7.5.1) by default install into same folder of major version (for example 7.5) and replaces program files of v7.5. If you try to uninstall v7.5 it will remove 7.5.1.

==================================

Igor,

Thanks for the information. Perhaps it would be useful to put in a notice on the download page, "This minor update should be installed in the same folder as the previous version", or something to that effect.

I always have installed each new version, whether minor or not, to its own folder to be able to see the differences in the updates.

Gary