WnSoft Forums

Living on Kerala's Backwaters

johnleslie

Hi John,

I downloaded your A/V in great expectation but sadly I was totally distracted by the interference patterns that kept appearing on almost every shot. I guess this was instigated by the fact that you used a mini-pan on every shot and I am guessing a certain box was not checked (not sure which one but somebody may come up with it). I have a new Dell monitor 1920 x 1200 pixels and a new Windows 7 computer, so hopefully the problem is not my end. I will give it another go and try and put the interference patterns to the background but I personally do not know why you would want to use mini-pans on every shot. Fair enough if you want to convey movement if you are taking shots from a boat but every shot? Maybe this reply will instigate some others to respond with their comments but don't hold your breath.

The crisscrossing waters which snake from North to South along a 400 mile stretch of the Southern Indian state of Kerala, are undoubtedly one of the World's famous highlights.

http://www.beechbrook.com/pte

Many thanks to Bill Hines and his work.

==================================

John,

Fasinating to see other parts of the world and how they live. I don't see any 'interference patterns' that Mick talked about. Maybe it is his monitor, not sure. What I noticed was that it looked like the images were reduced too much so that sharpness was lost. Many images had a 'painterly' effect or almost like they were done on canvas. Not sure how to exactly explain it. Perhaps, the 'mini-pans' made the movement seem a bit 'jumpy', if I can use that technical term...

But I liked the music and the 'trip'.

Gary

==================================

John,

Fasinating to see other parts of the world and how they live. I don't see any 'interference patterns' that Mick talked about. Maybe it is his monitor, not sure. What I noticed was that it looked like the images were reduced too much so that sharpness was lost. Many images had a 'painterly' effect or almost like they were done on canvas. Not sure how to exactly explain it. Perhaps, the 'mini-pans' made the movement seem a bit 'jumpy', if I can use that technical term...

But I liked the music and the 'trip'.

Gary

My thanks to both Mick and Gary for your comments

Unfortunately i'm all packed at this moment and ready to go on further travels for 5 weeks.

When i return home in the New Year i promise to look at this.

In the meantime - Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

John

Hello Mick,

Before you spend time troubleshooting your monitor I thought you would like you know that I confirm your findings of "shimmer" during the pans.

Earlier versions of PTE had a selectable "mipmapping" option to fix this. I believe this function is now automatic.

Regards,

Limey

Guest Yachtsman1

Hello Mick,

Before you spend time troubleshooting your monitor I thought you would like you know that I confirm your findings of "shimmer" during the pans.

Earlier versions of PTE had a selectable "mipmapping" option to fix this. I believe this function is now automatic.

Regards,

Limey

I too miss mipmapping, particularly on scrolling text where it was more effective than the current (7.07)settings. I haven't seen the show, but from the description it is the phenomena known as moire causing the shimmering, sometimes reducing the slide pixel count will cure it. Although mipmapping is now integrated into the programme, there are 2 setting that can be adjusted to try to get rid of moire. The first is in the screen tab in project options, the second in the O&A properties tab, see attached screen shots.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-00201700-1354720713_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-52991500-1354720735_thumb.jp

Hi Limey and Eric,

I was pretty confident that it was not my monitor as I had only just bought it for vast quantities of loot. Someone at my club thought that a combination of over-sharpening and panning causes such problem so maybe Eric's attached thumbnail 2 is the answer. Shame as I would like to see the show and concentrate on the images.

Hi Guys,

The problem is definitely caused by the sharpness of the images coupled with zoom or pan. Minimizing the sharpness "may" help, but sometimes this simply can't be ameliorated. The mipmapping was actually designed to minimize or eliminate this with zooms, especially of very small objects. An example would be a close up of a celestial object such as the moon followed by a zoom out to practically no image. The auto-mipmapping isn't as strong as the manual mode but there was probably a good reason for no longer having the manual control even though sometimes it seems it would be nice to choose.

For my still images and text, I like maximum sharpness and sometimes even apply unsharp masking in addition, but when I zoom, I set the sharpness to minimum and if I want to end up with a very sharp image, I do it in two slides. End the zoom or pan then pause briefly on the identical second slide with "quick no transition" change.

Best regards,

LIn

Hi Limey and Eric,

I was pretty confident that it was not my monitor as I had only just bought it for vast quantities of loot. Someone at my club thought that a combination of over-sharpening and panning causes such problem so maybe Eric's attached thumbnail 2 is the answer. Shame as I would like to see the show and concentrate on the images.