WnSoft Forums

Included video clips

snapcam

I have created a test sequence dropping several video clips into a normal sequence.

The sequence runs fine on my desktop both in project file and creted EXE.

When I transfer and play it on my new all singing all dancing laptop with 2gb nvidia card the result is the video clips judder or even stop.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. WHAT! please.

Snapcam

Guest Yachtsman1

My all singing all dancing custom built laptop did that before I found it had two graphics cards. If yours has, you need to right click the exe, which on mine brings up a list, one of the questions, which graphice card do you want to use to operate this type of programme?, and lists the two cards, just select the Nvidia & see what happens. It was built this way to preserve battery performance for standard stuff. Hope this helps.

Yachtsman1.

My all singing all dancing custom built laptop did that before I found it had two graphics cards. If yours has, you need to right click the exe, which on mine brings up a list, one of the questions, which graphice card do you want to use to operate this type of programme?, and lists the two cards, just select the Nvidia & see what happens. It was built this way to preserve battery performance for standard stuff. Hope this helps.

Yachtsman1.

Hello Eric,

See what you mean about the cards, I didn't realise that, but it makes no difference which card I use.

The videos seem to run ok on the laptop outside PTE the problem happens in Pte only.

Is there a particulat video format I should be using.

What confuses me is that it works fine on the desktop.

Raymond

I have created a test sequence dropping several video clips into a normal sequence.

The sequence runs fine on my desktop both in project file and creted EXE.

When I transfer and play it on my new all singing all dancing laptop with 2gb nvidia card the result is the video clips judder or even stop.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. WHAT! please.

Snapcam

===========================

Just a shot in the dark...did you convert your videos using the PTE Convert function? I had a video that was jerky until I ran it through the PTE Convert.

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Hello Eric,

See what you mean about the cards, I didn't realise that, but it makes no difference which card I use.

The videos seem to run ok on the laptop outside PTE the problem happens in Pte only.

Is there a particulat video format I should be using.

What confuses me is that it works fine on the desktop.

Raymond

Hi Raymond

There is lots of info re video on here, however to pinpoint why yours is not working correctly would need more details of your hardware, graphics cards, system, PTE version, where the original source of the video was obtained.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Just had another think about your problem, when I first posted an AV show with video clips in AVCHD (high spec), there were lots of complaints from people who downloaded them about erratic video playback. I reduced the quality I was shooting the clips in to MP4 & the problem went away. Not sure PTE likes AVCHD yet :unsure:/> :unsure:/> :unsure:/>

Yachtsman1.

Now we're 'whistling Dixie', Gary, :) converting the video clips made the difference and they are playing fine.

The clips have convertes to AVI. Is that the norm for this type of project.

I still don't understand why they run normally on my desktop and not on my laptop ,both have Nvidia cards fitted.

Snapcam

Just had another think about your problem, when I first posted an AV show with video clips in AVCHD (high spec), there were lots of complaints from people who downloaded them about erratic video playback. I reduced the quality I was shooting the clips in to MP4 & the problem went away. Not sure PTE likes AVCHD yet :unsure:/>/>/> :unsure:/>/>/> :unsure:/>/>/>

Yachtsman1.

Sorry Eric, answered Gary before I saw your post. I think we are on the same lines now. Have you any thoughts on why it runs on the desktop.

R.

Now we're 'whistling Dixie', Gary, smile.gif converting the video clips made the difference and they are playing fine.

The clips have convertes to AVI. Is that the norm for this type of project.

I still don't understand why they run normally on my desktop and not on my laptop ,both have Nvidia cards fitted.

Snapcam

==================

I can't give any real techincal explanation as to why it would play well on desktop, but not on the laptop. The Nvidia cards may be not be exactly the same.

Originally, I did not like to convert my video files using the PTE Convert because the file would usually become larger, and I was concerned with the shows getting too large. Some time ago, I noticed one particular video segment that was jerky. After I ran it through the PTE Convert, it ran smoothly. The PTE Convert does something that makes it more efficient for video cards to handle, from what I got from a discussion in the Forum.

So, now I tend to use the PTE Convert. Also, after I do my video editing in the FreeMake Video Converter program, I choose the MPEG4 codec, instead of the H.264 codec, when I use it to convert my edited original-out-of-the-camera video to AVI. Then I run this AVI through the PTE Convert process, which makes it a more efficient AVI file.

Gary

The purpose of PTE's "Convert video clip" feature is to convert the file into a format that will enable the video to play smoothly on as many different system configurations as possible. That means converting to a relatively low compression level. The likelihood is that the video clip file will end up larger (possibly significantly so). But the demand for computer resource during playback will be much lower.

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Raymond

I assume you are playing your raw video on your desktop using Windows Media Player, if you are, for some reason WMP seems to handle HD video better, don't ask me why but it does. Glad you seem to have the problem sorted.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Over the years I have done hundreds of demonstrations and I always include PicturesToExe, even if that is just breaking up a Photoshop session with a brief respite and a short slide show.

One thing that became clear to me from an early point was that a destop and a laptop of so called equal power do not perform anywhere near the same. For years I used a desktop to do demos, because laptops were just not up to the high end photography and then the animation possibilities with PTE.

I notice that we seem to be reaching a turning point and my latest laptop and our clubs laptop are capable of playing Hot in the City and the PTE promo smooth as silk, but there are still lots of laptops that will struggle, especially when we throw in video too.

Thanks guys for all your help, its now clear to me that my limited knowledge of video is even less than I thought.

I find that my clips from the camera are AVCHD, others on the files are Quick Time Movie I assume it must be what I selected at capture.

PTE has converted the clips to AVIwhich seem to work.

I need to learn about different video files.

Your advice has also probably saved a PC World Techy from physical assault :ph34r: (ONLY JOKING)

SNAPCAM

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks guys for all your help, its now clear to me that my limited knowledge of video is even less than I thought.

I find that my clips from the camera are AVCHD, others on the files are Quick Time Movie I assume it must be what I selected at capture.

PTE has converted the clips to AVIwhich seem to work.

I need to learn about different video files.

Your advice has also probably saved a PC World Techy from physical assault :ph34r:/>/> (ONLY JOKING)

SNAPCAM

You haven't said what camera you are using? If you are able to set the video type in camera, I would set it at MP4 which PTE handles OK on my hardware, converted or unconverted. I don't use AVCHD any more although my camera can be set to record in it, as it gives massive file sizes & intermittant quality in PTE 7.07.

Yachtsman1