WnSoft Forums

Realistic rotating Earth?

tom95521

For my space slideshow I want to visit distant planets but I need to tackle this problem first.

How can I make a realistic rotating globe without using a movie or animated gif and not having the option of using displacement mapping?

What I am trying to do is create a rotating globe from a mercator projection map of the Earth. Slide 2 splits the Earth into upper and lower hemispheres with +/-30 degree rotate X transformations. I think slide 2 does look better than slide 1. Now I want to split the Earth into 4 quadrants by adding 30 degree Y transformations. I'm guessing it will require more masks maybe with zones like in slide 3?

I'm hoping Lin or someone else has an idea. I know the easy answer is to use a movie or gif loop but I would not learn anything.smile.gif

Thanks,

Tom

earth_transformation.zip

Guest Yachtsman1

For my space slideshow I want to visit distant planets but I need to tackle this problem first.

How can I make a realistic rotating globe without using a movie or animated gif and not having the option of using displacement mapping?

What I am trying to do is create a rotating globe from a mercator projection map of the Earth. Slide 2 splits the Earth into upper and lower hemispheres with +/-30 degree rotate X transformations. I think slide 2 does look better than slide 1. Now I want to split the Earth into 4 quadrants by adding 30 degree Y transformations. I'm guessing it will require more masks maybe with zones like in slide 3?

I'm hoping Lin or someone else has an idea. I know the easy answer is to use a movie or gif loop but I would not learn anything.smile.gif

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom

I've just been looking for something to convert a positive digital image to a negative, my search pointed me to Gimp, while searching Gimp I came across an animated filter for a "Spinning Globe", don't know if it's any use. Didn't find what I wanted yet. Off to bed now.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

earth_transformation.zip

My technical problem is vertical masks. If you look at slide 3 you will see that I want to create 5 vertical sections. Inside each vertical mask (rotated either 0/30/60 degrees) will be a copy of the 5 horizontal sections (hope that makes sense).

Tom,

If I understand you correctly, you are thinking of nesting a mask container inside another mask container? That cannot be done in PTE. Whether it could be programmed into PTE by Igor and his wizards will depend upon the library of graphics handling routines that they use.

What are you trying to achieve by your proposed improvement? A more realistic impression of the curvature of the Earth?

regards,

Peter