WnSoft Forums

Problem with spacebar in O&A window [SOLVED]

RobertAlbright

Robert,

Are you saying that, on your Vista system, whilst having the Slides view open, you can start the mini-player by pressing the spacebar? On my Win 7 system, when in the Slides view, pressing the spacebar simply takes the currently selected image into fullscreen display of the image - no sound, no advance through the sequence. The spacebar only becomes operable as a play/pause toggle after the mini-player has been started into "play" mode using the "Play" button. In that respect, the mini-player behaves just the same as the O&A window. The play function has to be started before the spacebar becomes an active toggle switch.

regards,

Peter

Peter and Dave

I am referring to operating on the Timeline in the main screen. In this mode the spacebar operates Play/Pause without the need to press Play first. This has been the case for some time.

Thanks for that clarification, Robert. This highlights a major concern that I have with PTE's user interface, especially in v7.5. The same keyboard key (or keyboard shortcut) can have a different effect in different views. I feel sure that this has to be a source of confusion for users both new and experienced. Taking the spacebar as being just one example:

-in the Slides view it switches the selected image into full-screen display and then back again.

-in the Timeline view it operates as a Play/Pause control for the mini-player

-in the O&A view it operates as a Play/Pause control but only after the play has been initiated with the "Play" button

I feel sure that users, especially new users, would prefer a situation where, having discovered what a particular key does in one part of the product they have confidence that the same key will do the same thing in other parts of the product.

regards,

Peter

Peter

I agree in principle. Standardisation is important, both within PTE (same key does the same thing in different screens for example) and with common standards external to PTE (space bar plays and pauses images and sound).

Note that Igor has already agreed to address the #third of your points.

Robert