WnSoft Forums

How to create a new show using old show's .pte?

goddi

Greetings,

I have an old .pte show that I had created with somewhat lower resolution images than I now want. So I did a 'Created a Backup in Zip' of the old show.

After unzipping the 'zipped backup' in a new folder, I then copied/pasted the higher resolution images into this folder, overwriting the lower res images.

When I openned this 'new' show I expected everything to be the same, except it would be showing the higher res images. But it is not.

Even though the File List is showing the high res images (and they are not bolded) in the new folder, the 'new' show's Slide List is still showing the low res images.

I then went into the .pte file in the 'new' folder, and the references are still showing paths to the old folder.

So, I've done something wrong. Can you tell me what the correct steps are?

Do I have to go into the .pte file and change every old path to the new path manually?????

Thanks... Gary

P.S. I did not want to change my 'old' folder. I assume it would have worked out correctly if I just copied/pasted the high res images over the low res images in the old folder, but I wanted to keep the old folder as it was until the high res pte show worked.

Later: I replaced all the paths for the images in the new .pte file to show the correct folder location. Now all the high res images show up in the File List and are bolded and in the Slide List. However, all of the text that had been in the slides, now are gone and replaced with 'Text'.

Gary,

As far as I can recall, on the few occasions when I have duplicated a show in that manner, the path details didn't get updated until I had done a "Save As" to a new file name in the new folder. Someone with more recent experience may be able to confirm that or provide a better solution.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

As far as I can recall, on the few occasions when I have duplicated a show in that manner, the path details didn't get updated until I had done a "Save As" to a new file name in the new folder. Someone with more recent experience may be able to confirm that or provide a better solution.

regards,

Peter

======================

Peter,

That makes sense. Give me some time and I will try to recreate the process and do a Save As. I know I have done it before with no problems so I must have missed doing something.

Thanks.

Gary

In situations like that, I sometimes proceed as follows. I temporarily give a new name to some folder along the path to the original images. Then PTE will not find these images, and it will look into the new project folder and load the new images. Then I save the project, and the project file now should have the new paths. Then I rename the folder again. This is not an elegant way but it sometimes helps.

Regards,

Xaver

I had a couple more shows that I wanted to re-make with higher res images without changing the structure of the old shows. I don't know what I did with the first shows that got everything messed up. But I finally found the steps that worked.

Here is what I found works:

-Make a New Folder

-Create a Backup Zip file and save it to the New Folder

-Extract the zipped files into the New Folder and do a Save As to the New Folder (the File List shows the Low Res images). The PTE show will run as it did in the previous location.

-Copy/Paste the Hi Res image so they overwrite the Low Res images in the New Folder

No big deal but when the brain is in a fog, you can mess it up....as I did.

Gary

Making a template would involve 3 or 4 less steps and the same result.cool.gif

==================================

Dave,

I have not used 'Templates' because I just really don't understand how to use them. I went to the Users' Guide but it does not tell me how to use it.

I just played around with it to see if I could figure it out.

First thing I don't like is that the Template is saved to a location that, at first, is in a place I don't like. In order to set (re-set) the location where you want the Template to be saved, you have to know you have to go into Manage Templates/Template Folder. I prefer to have the template of a slideshow saved in the same folder of the slideshow from where it was made. Maybe in the future, have one Template folder makes sense. It defaults to a C:\Program.... folder that does not relate to the slideshow that I am making a template of. It would be more intuitive if, as you 'Create Template from this show', it shows you were it is being saved and will allow the choosing of a different folder you might want to save it in.

Next, when I open a saved Template, the Slides View shows all the slides, etc., but the Files List has no bolded files. So I presume I am supposed to somehow put in new images...but I don't understand the next steps to replace the old images with new images.

I have searched the Forum but I could not find a discussion on exactly how to go about Creating Templates. Can you shed a little light on this? I feel like I can't see the forest for the trees. :blink:/>

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

Think of a backup in zip as being a Template in a zipped folder.

Yes, you have designate a Templates folder but that is no big deal?

What you do after creating the Template is up to you. The main thing is that you then have a single unzipped folder containing all of the images, audio etc that you can move around on your own computer(s) without having to worry about references.

Suggested folder structure - have a PTE Folder containing PTE Projects, PTE Templates etc.

I think of my templates as my FINISHED Projects. You will never have to go searching for an old project again, it will appear in your list of Templates every time you open PTE.

Try one, they are not so difficult that they need a "How To".:)/>

Designate a Templates folder wherever you want it. Save a Template of your current (finished) project and then you can open it from the File Menu (Templates).

DG

P.S. Drop your new (resized) images into the Template Folder and it is done.

Hi Gary,

Think of a backup in zip as being a Template in a zipped folder.

Yes, you have designate a Templates folder but that is no big deal?

What you do after creating the Template is up to you. The main thing is that you then have a single unzipped folder containing all of the images, audio etc that you can move around on your own computer(s) without having to worry about references.

Suggested folder structure - have a PTE Folder containing PTE Projects, PTE Templates etc.

I think of my templates as my FINISHED Projects. You will never have to go searching for an old project again, it will appear in your list of Templates every time you open PTE.

Try one, they are not so difficult that they need a "How To".smile.gif/>

Designate a Templates folder wherever you want it. Save a Template of your current (finished) project and then you can open it from the File Menu (Templates).

DG

P.S. Drop your new (resized) images into the Template Folder and it is done.

=========================

Dave,

Ok... I got it. I am not sure why I did not 'get it' earlier. So there really is no difference in Creating a Zip and creating a Template, except that the you get a zip file with one, and the 'unzipped' folder with the other.

At this point, I still prefer using the Create a Zip process than using the Template process. I feel like I have more control with the Zip file, but that is just me. But I will keep trying to use the Template, too.

Thanks for the clarification.

Gary

=========================

Dave,

Ok... I got it. I am not sure why I did not 'get it' earlier. So there really is no difference in Creating a Zip and creating a Template, except that the you get a zip file with one, and the 'unzipped' folder with the other.....

But with the Template you get the Project file in the list of Templates in the File Menu - like a permanent "recent files" list. You don't have to go searching for it.

DG