WnSoft Forums

Problem with Version 7.5 giving only sound

I am having problems with exes produced on version 7.5 which won't run on my Compaq computer running XP

The exe takes a long time to load and then only gives the sound. There are no pictures at all just a black screen

Exes produced on previous versions (7.0 and before) work perfectly

I have tried to update the Intel video card driver but it appears to be up to date

My Dell computer also running XP runs the exes perfectly for all versions

Any ideas what could be wrong/different about the Compaq please?

Guest Yachtsman1

Are these home produced exe's? If they are have you tried someone elses exe? There is a new one on here at present called "Walking on Palma", lots of people have downloaded it. Try downloading & see if it runs on your machine.

Yachtsman1.

Are these home produced exe's? If they are have you tried someone elses exe? There is a new one on here at present called "Walking on Palma", lots of people have downloaded it. Try downloading & see if it runs on your machine.

Yachtsman1.

Many thanks for the responses - I am new here so I hope I can answer both queries on this reply

I have tried both types of exe - The problem arose because I was downloading AV's from Club Members who are entering a Club competition and they failed to work Both Authors are using V7.5

I then tried one of mine produced on my photo computer with V7.5 and it failed to work

I then tried an old one of mine produced on V 6.0 and it works properly but a little juddery

I have tried the downloaded "Walking on La Palma" and it also gives just sound - no pictures

If I "escape" out of the exe then I get the attached error message

To davegee

Computer is a Compaq Presario Desktop running Windows XP Home Service pack 3 plus all updates including .Net Framework

Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 900

Please let me know if you need any further details

post-3418-0-85793200-1362507387_thumb.jp

Go to Control Panel / System and copy the details from there?

Processor, RAM etc.

Monitor resolution?

First impressions - the computer and graphics are not up to it?

It would possibly run a 1024x768 show with minimal animation - but the Palma show is 1800x1200.

DG

There is something not quite right here....

By any chance do you have 2 x PTE-Programs running concurrently on your XP..??

You also wrote:-

"I am having problems with exes produced on version 7.5 which won't run on my Compaq computer running XP"

A)...In our Workshop we run "2 x HP-Compaq Presarios V-5000.Series" and these Laptops run everything thrown at them.

"The exe takes a long time to load and then only gives the sound. The pictures at all just a black screen"...

A)...This is a typical response of a Computer suffering from inadequate "Memory-resources" and a a fairly full Hard-Drive.

B)...In retrospect, the Presarios only come with 1.gB User- RAM-Memory and Virtual-Memory is set at <!.gB (variable)....

C)..XP-Sp3 needs at least 2.gB User-RAM-Memory and Virtual-Ram needs to be set to something similar + 40% Clean-HD.

D)..The maximum 'User-Ram' for XP (all-versions) is 4.gB but it can only use 3.6.gB of that ~ the sysetm uses the balance.

Exes produced on previous versions (7.0 and before) work perfectly...

A)...Thats quite true but PTE.7.5xx provides many 'new-functions' which will stretch your current RAM-Memory to the limits

particularily so if your Hard-Drive is over 70% capacity and File-Indexing is turned "On" (see above paragraph).

I have tried to update the Intel video card driver but it appears to be up to date

A)...Makes no difference ~ In my opinion this Laptop need's a...Memory-upgrade...+Virtual-Memory expansion...+Cleanup.

As I previously wrote, our HP-Compaq.V5000's run everything thrown at them ~ I would seriously advise you to contact a

competent Computer-Technician and have him look at the Laptop before you loose confidence in it..(Show him this Mail).

Wish you all the best and a speedy remedy to this problem.

Brian (Conflow)

P.S..Make sure you're not running concurrent PTE-Progarms.

1. Please install manually the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft's website:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

2. Although you have latest video card drivers, please download drivers again and re-install it manually. It may solve issues with brokes settings.

3. Open Windows Update center and make sure that all updates are installed.

4. Re-start Windows.

Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 900 does not support some basic features of DirectX 9. It can't create large textures for transition effects.

In version 7.5 we optimized rendering for more new video cards. All NVIDIA/ATI/AMD video card since 2003 should work with PicturesToExe's shows. For Intel better to use video card issued in 2007 and later.

In system requirements we write "DirectX 9.0". But Intel had poor support of DirectX 9 during many years.

Try to set 1024 x 768 screen resolution. If it helps it will confirm my guess.

First of all thanks to everyone for your considered and speedy responses. Just to complete the technical details

Compaq Presario Desktop about 5 years old

Windows XP Home edition Service pack 3 - Fully updated as of last week

CPU Intel Pentium ®4 2.93GHz

Disc Maxtor 6YO8O6O 72GB (50GB Free) just defragged

1.99 GB Ram (doubled from original)

Video Card Intel R 82915G/GV/910GL Express chipset

Display 1280 x 1024 @ 92 dpi

I agree completely with the analysis that the video card/computer is not up to the job

The main clue is that even when it runs the 6.0 version it is a little juddery on the transitions

Altering the resolution to 800 x 600 doesn't help at all

It looks as though the new super V7.5 is a step too far for my poor old computer!

Just to put the matter in context I normally only use this computer for admin work and internet use

I use it for downloading entries of AV's or digital images from Club members entering Club competitions

because I can scan the USB stick with my virus software before downloading

All my normal AV and photography work is done on my Dell computer which doesn't go on the internet!!

This works fine with V7.5 and I am enjoying the new version very much

As this problem was new to me and to V7.5 I thought I would ask and inform you what had happened

Thank you all again for your help and guidance

There is something not quite right here....

By any chance do you have 2 x PTE-Programs running concurrently on your XP..??

You also wrote:-

"I am having problems with exes produced on version 7.5 which won't run on my Compaq computer running XP"

A)...In our Workshop we run "2 x HP-Compaq Presarios V-5000.Series" and these Laptops run everything thrown at them.

"The exe takes a long time to load and then only gives the sound. The pictures at all just a black screen"...

A)...This is a typical response of a Computer suffering from inadequate "Memory-resources" and a a fairly full Hard-Drive.

B)...In retrospect, the Presarios only come with 1.gB User- RAM-Memory and Virtual-Memory is set at <!.gB (variable)....

C)..XP-Sp3 needs at least 2.gB User-RAM-Memory and Virtual-Ram needs to be set to something similar + 40% Clean-HD.

D)..The maximum 'User-Ram' for XP (all-versions) is 4.gB but it can only use 3.6.gB of that ~ the sysetm uses the balance.

Exes produced on previous versions (7.0 and before) work perfectly...

A)...Thats quite true but PTE.7.5xx provides many 'new-functions' which will stretch your current RAM-Memory to the limits

particularily so if your Hard-Drive is over 70% capacity and File-Indexing is turned "On" (see above paragraph).

A)...Makes no difference ~ In my opinion this Laptop need's a...Memory-upgrade...+Virtual-Memory expansion...+Cleanup.

As I previously wrote, our HP-Compaq.V5000's run everything thrown at them ~ I would seriously advise you to contact a

competent Computer-Technician and have him look at the Laptop before you loose confidence in it..(Show him this Mail).

Wish you all the best and a speedy remedy to this problem.

Brian (Conflow)

P.S..Make sure you're not running concurrent PTE-Progarms.