WnSoft Forums

A Problem with audio playback in published EXE [SOLVED]

PGA

In the WMP Ripping options on my Laptop (WMP11) the Copy Protect option is Greyed out for WAV and MP3.

However the option is available for WMA etc.

My interpretation is that Copy Protection is applied when using WAV or MP3 but is optional for WMA.

We need a Hexpert.

DG

Update.

WMP 12 (on my other PC) allows you to turn off Copy Protection by "signing" a disclaimer.

The resulting file is then playable when used in place of the WMP 11 version (which will not play in PTE).

Research required: Has the License to use WMP 11 (to Rip) expired in my case?? Did a Windows Update change this?? Did WMP 11 ever allow Ripping without Copy Protection??

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

WMP 9 allowed ripping without exception, there was a thread on here back in 2007/8 where I advised people not to lose WMP9 because 10 brought in radical changes.

Yachtsman1

There is no connection between the software used to rip recordings and Copyright Law. It is illegal in the UK to copy or use commercial recordings without possession of the necessary licences. Here are two links which explain the situation

http://www.theiac.org.uk/iac/copyright/copyright-clearance-scheme.html

http://www.hamiltoncameraclub.co.uk/music_copyright_licenses.htm

Royalty Free and Copyright Free recordings do not require licences

Is this something new I.e. have you used WAV files produced this way in the past without problem?

Yes and No!

Yes, I have always ripped to WAV in the past and have regularly used the WAV during "rough assembly" of the sequence and I have had no problems doing that.

No, this is the first time I have tried to assemble a multi-track, multi-item soundtrack solely in PTE; and the use of the ripped WAV file is causing this problem.

Peter

My interpretation is that Copy Protection is applied when using WAV or MP3 but is optional for WMA.

I see the same as you but interpret things differently. I believe that the tick box allows the user to specify that the ripped file is to have copy protection applied to it. This I further interpret as meaning: "if there was no copy protection on the original some will be added to the copy". I have always left this unticked in the past.

Peter

Now here's interesting...!

I have taken that piece of music into version 4.49; and it doesn't even play in Preview. When I ask Project Options > Music to "Show Music Duration", it comes up as 0:00. So, in the oldest version of PTE that I have, this sound file is flagged as being "wrong". In the latest version it isn't flagged as being "wrong". That, to me, is a retrograde step. If it is "wrong" it should be flagged as such as soon as it is added to the soundtrack. Better still, its being "wrong" should prevent it from being added to the soundtrack.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Thanks, I downloaded the WAV file and confirm this issue.

We'll try to solve this problem.

When internal PicturesToExe's WAV decoder fails to open a audio file it loads it with ffmpeg library. So you can hear this audio file in preview or in mini-player. But you create EXE file without video clips we don't include ffmpeg library (to optimize EXE file size), so this WAV file can't be loaded. We'll try go fix a problem in WAV decoder to solve the problem completely.

Hi Igor,

A step in the right direction, but still not quite correct. With that test version of PTE the bad WAV now plays in mini-player, Preview and in the EXE. In the mini-player, the playback correctly stops at the end of the only slide in the test sequence (i.e. after 5.5 seconds). However..., in both Preview and EXE the playback continues beyond the end of the first slide, with that slide kept on display. The bad WAV will now start playing correctly. We now need it to stop correctly as well!

Nearly there!

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the confirmation regarding first problem.

Do I understand rightly that the second problem is not related with this WAV file and can be reproduced with any MP3 audio file? If yes, please create a new topic, it will help me better track problems.