WnSoft Forums

Video problems

Bert

I like to start putting videos into my slide shows, but something doesn’t work right. My video is made with a Sony NEX7 camera. PTE 7.5.8 gives me the following info for this video: Size; [b]351MB, Container; mpegts, Codec; H.266, Duration 2m 59s, Frame size 1920x1080, Video type; Interlaced.

This file plays very jerky in the mini-player, and also very bad in the player for the converter. (So bad it is hard to see where to trim).

When I do a conversion of this file, I end up with the following info for the converted video: Size; 661MB, Container; AVI, Codec; mpeg4, Duration 2m 59s, Frame size 1920x1080, Video type; Interlaced. This file plays normal in the mini-player.

When I check the info for the non-converted and converted videos in windows explorer, the non-converted has as: Type of file; m2ts and a frame rate of 29 frames/sec. The converted has as: Type of file; AVI and a frame rate of 59 frames/sec.

Outside of PTE, both video files play fine in “Media Classic Home Cinema”

My computer has 8mb of ram, and the graphics card is AMD Radeon 6530D, 512mb.

The question is why get my converted video almost doubled in size. I still have to use this file in my show because the non-converted video plays jerky.

Any suggestions?

Bert

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Bert This subject was discussed at length last year. I assume you are using the latest version of PTE so I can't help you there, I use 7.07. There is a setting in that version which allows you to edit a video file without conversion, & I did a tutorial, if you trawl through my posts you will find it. Whether it helps in your situation I don't know.

Yachysman1.

Bert,

I would suspect that your video card might have something to do with it?

Igor has explained the reason for the increase in size a number of times so if you search the forum you should come up with a suitable answer.

The advice seems to be to Convert when PTE asks you to.

DG

I don't think that the video card is to blame. As far as I remember, videos inside a PTE show make use of the CPU which probably likes videos of type MPEG-4 Part 2 (Advanced Simple Profile) more than MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/H.264). H.264 videos are smaller but they are much more difficult to decode.

Regards,

Xaver

Bert,

First, you must understand that all video files are compressed to a greater or lesser extent. The video codec determines just how much compression is applied. The format that comes out of PTE's converter is not compressed too heavily. This means that: 1) the file can come out larger than when it when in but 2) - and this is the important bit - PTE can do all its wonderful things with it even if your PC is a little bit lacking in "grunt" when it comes to processing video.

Bottom line: don't worry about it!

regards,

Peter

Footnote added after initial posting of reply:

If the video was uncompressed you would have:

3 minutes of video at 25 frames per second at 1920x1080 pixels per frame at 1 byte per pixel = c.9.3 gigabytes (and that is if a pixel can be encoded in just one byte). If it takes more than one byte to encode a pixel...

I like to thank everybody for there replies to my video question.

Yachtsman1, I had downloaded your very good tutorials already, but I need to make the conversion, because the non-converted file does play very jerky in PTE.

Dave it is possible that its my video card, but outside PTE, the non-converted video plays fine on my computer when I use “Media Classic Home Cinema”. Maybe it is as Xaver mentioned that PTE doesn't like AVCHD. The problem with that is, because it does not play good in the converter screen, I can not precise edit before I have the file converted. So I have to convert the file first, and than edit this converted file. Than it has to be converted again to get the edited file.(A waste of time).

Peter, I will take your advise and not worry about the size of the video files.

Regards,

Bert

Bert,

It is possible to "crop" the converted files in O and A / Properties without doing a further conversion?

If you are making an MPEG4 as your output file there is no "penalty" in terms of output file size by doing it this way. EXE files however will contain the full length video.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

I like to thank everybody for there replies to my video question.

Yachtsman1, I had downloaded your very good tutorials already, but I need to make the conversion, because the non-converted file does play very jerky in PTE.

Dave it is possible that its my video card, but outside PTE, the non-converted video plays fine on my computer when I use “Media Classic Home Cinema”. Maybe it is as Xaver mentioned that PTE doesn't like AVCHD. The problem with that is, because it does not play good in the converter screen, I can not precise edit before I have the file converted. So I have to convert the file first, and than edit this converted file. Than it has to be converted again to get the edited file.(A waste of time).

Peter, I will take your advise and not worry about the size of the video files.

Regards,

Bert

Hi Bert

I've just twigged, you mention AVCHD!!!!! Last year when I started using video, I used the AVCHD setting on my camera & used the clips in a show with loads of complaints, particularly from Ken that they were jerky, they weren't on my PC. So I re-set the camera to record in MP4 HD & the complaints disappeared, so I've used that setting since then. you may be able to convert your AVCHD clips to HD using Video Pad, (it's free) or it was when I downloaded it, so all wouldn't be lost.

Yachtsman1.

Bert,

It is possible to "crop" the converted files in O and A / Properties without doing a further conversion?

If you are making an MPEG4 as your output file there is no "penalty" in terms of output file size by doing it this way. EXE files however will contain the full length video.

DG

Dave,

I had done it the way you described, and shortened the converted file in the 0 and A properties. I am going to make an MPEG4 as my output, but I don't understand why it would not matter in output file size. Of the 2m.59s video, I am using 2m.10s. I edited the converted file and did a second conversion. Instead of the 661MB of the first converted video, the second one is 495MB. Why would it not matter when making an MPEG4 as output?

Bert

Hi yachtsman1,

I checked my camera and I can record in MP4 format. Unfortunately the size will only be 1440 x 1080, not good enough for it to be shown on a HD TV.

Bert

Hi yachtsman1,

I checked my camera and I can record in MP4 format. Unfortunately the size will only be 1440 x 1080, not good enough for it to be shown on a HD TV.

Bert

Bert,

I don't understand? What res do you want for your HD TV?

Your HD TV is 1080 high - your camera is 1080 high. The only difference is the Aspect Ratio.

If you mean that you want to fill the width then I can understand that but given the problems that you have, a compromise would surely be in order?

4:3 doesn't look too bad on a 16:9 screen but you have the black bars on the side.

DG

P.S.

Dave,

I had done it the way you described, and shortened the converted file in the 0 and A properties. I am going to make an MPEG4 as my output, but I don't understand why it would not matter in output file size. Of the 2m.59s video, I am using 2m.10s. I edited the converted file and did a second conversion. Instead of the 661MB of the first converted video, the second one is 495MB. Why would it not matter when making an MPEG4 as output?

Bert

Hi Bert,

I think it would not matter in an MPEG4 because ONLY the portion of the file used (the crop) would be included when making the MPEG4.

On the other hand, in an EXE the whole file size would be included in the EXE even though it is cropped.

Hope that makes sense?

DG

Hi Dave,

I have all my images sized to 1920 x 1080 and I want the videos in the show to have the same 16:9 aspect ratio. Thanks for the info about the MPEG4, I did not know that only the video portion that is shown on the screen will be part of the output MPEG4.

I still would like to know the reason that my Sony AVCHD file format does not play well in PTE, (is it my computer or PTE?). Are there other persons who's videos are in this AVCHD format. I know Igor has a Sony camera.

Bert

Guest Yachtsman1

Bert

I seem to remember it's PTE that doesn't like AVCHD, or it used not too. All my shows with video are now MP4 HD 1920 x 1080 16-9 aspect ratio. Just remember to untick "fixed size of slide" if you are using 7.07, not sure in the latest version. Yours will fill your TV screen. I know it's a ball having bought a camera capable of HDMI & not being able to use it, personally I don't see any difference in my shows.

Yachtsman1.