WnSoft Forums

In Or Out Of Copyright

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

My last AV show "Aladdin's Kampro Lamps" was made with the intention of putting it on YouTube, so I used what I had bought as Copyright Free music. When I uploaded it to Youtube, I got the warning "Third Party Content". Thinking I had used the wrong track I ignored it. The last couple of days I've been compiling a sales catalogue AV show, along the lines of Lin's recent show. This morning I went into my music archive, to the copyright free section & selected a couple of tracks, this time checking their properties, they were tagged with the same album lable that YT flagged up. So the question is, having bought them as copyright free, used them previously in other works without problems, do I dispute YT's claim of "Third Party Content", or should I be claiming a refund from the original retailer :o/> ??? :blink:/>

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-95141500-1375608447_thumb.jp

I am not sure how helpful this is, but one thing I learned from selling Copyright Free music (royalty free really) is that copyright of music changes a lot. It appears that if an artist needs a recording studio and time to record their music and I guess a way of marketing the music, they sign up with a record label who take over the copyright for a period.. With some of the music we used to sell, the copyright changes from the artists to the record label for a time specified in the contract. So, for lets say 5 years it's the record label who can decide to release the music royalty free. However, when that time expires the copyright returns to the artist who may decide not to.

From time to time we had to withdraw tracks taken from certain albums and replace them with others as the copyright returned to the author. It was a bit of a job, but at the time I wondered how anyone ever kept up with this copyright issue. I didn't see how they could and I assume neither will YouTube. I don't think anyone envisaged YouTube and how it would affect music. YouTube was the direct cause of AV enthusiasts losing access to 36 albums when the record label felt that had to withdraw them. They told me that it was because anything posted on YouTube could be ripped off and they didn't see that coming when the royalty free music was first created. YouTube wasn't around then.

So, I assume you could buy some copyright free music, but later the copyright changes. As it was sold as copyright free to you, then you can still use it a copyright free, but I guess you will never stop YouTube flagging it either.

Barry is correct and this problem is exacerbated because some big players such as Sony (SME) apparently just try to blanket claim literally "all" music as theirs. They produce software used by YouTube which apparently identifies both lyrics and frequencies then makes the copyright ownership claim. It's often quite wrong and even artists who produce their own music under Creative Commons licensing such as Kevin MacLeod have had YouTube "argue" with them that their own creations were owned by SME -

Bottom line is you can't win with big business/big money. They can get away with making their "claims" and by the time it gets straightened out the reason for your original production is lost in the shuffle. The entire thing is made even more complex by all the differences in copyright laws in different countries. For example, something which is in Public Domain in the United States, may still be under copyright law in the UK.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

I did tackle YT on one of my shows "Wilfred Owens War" as I knew the track they were claiming as copyright, wasn't. Eventually after about 3 weeks I got an email from them confirming my objection. So it is worth while persuaing them if you are sure they are wrong.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

I guess, if you don't mind the three week delay in your presentation as you intended it. The problem is that it happens so often, many just give up on trying to get it straightened out.

My bet is that if you use the same audio selection in another different show then post it to YouTube that you would have to again do the same all over again.

Best regards,

Lin

Sometimes they will "mute" the sound so your video will be silent...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

I didn't wait the three weeks it took, I let it run while they were deliberating because I knew I was right.

Regards Eric.

Yachtsman1.