WnSoft Forums

Audio stutter during Video transition?

PeteFine

At the start of a video (after transitioning from a photo, my .wav file soundtrack experiences a short glitch- a "stutter". I am using HD avi video, converted by PTE, I have a Windows 7 PC with plenty of RAM etc.... Only problem I'm having with completing a project- the wav files have no problem by themselves- thanks for any help!

Try converting your WAV file to an MP3 & use that instead.

If the problem still exists then send us some more information, length/size of music & video, full computer spec etc.

Jill

Thanks Jill,

The music file is 12 minutes long, standard wav or mp3pro. Occasionally, especially during video clip (with embedded audio muted in clip) it will "stutter".

My PC is a dell Studio XPS with default sound card (never have sound issues normally and I do a lot of auydio work...) Intel 3.2, lots of Ram. I converted the sound file to MP3PRO, but no difference.

Should mention clips were shot on a Canon digital powershot and is in HD, also 12 minutes long. The clips were converted by PTE )(optimized...). They are interspersed with regular photos. Also, I could swear that I occasionally hear a sound from the clip itself even though I've got Mute Audio checked in the properties of each video clip.

Jill,

More info...even stranger... the audio "stuttering doesn't always happen in the same place of the video clip so it apparently is not embedded in the audio track or the project as I work on it, but seems to be a playback issue. Yet the wav file plays back perfectly when listene to it outside of the project. Should I try burning a test DVD to see if it plays this way outside of the PC?

Guest Yachtsman1

Aha! Thanks. HD...shame- it looks great in HD. Can I convert within PTE or do I need another program?

Hi

I used Video Pad before I set my camera to record in MP4. It may not have the same quality as HD, but if your camera will record MP4 you won't see much difference to HD.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

Yachtsman1

Greyspider,

I've read this topic and am a little confused. When you say you are using HD AVI video, does that refer to the input video files, the output video file or both?

I have only limited experience of inputting and outputting video files. My technique has been to let PTE convert the input videos into whatever format it wants using whatever codec it wants. Nearly all my output is Windows EXE file. When I do want video output I always Publish HD Video at High Quality, letting PTE set whatever values it wants. Until earlier this year, none of my PC systems (desktop and laptop) were at the cutting edge of technology - and I have had no problems with any playback of my sequences or of anyone else's sequences built using PTE.

If the "stutter" is moving around within your sequence from one playback to the next, that suggests to me that it isn't a PTE issue - it's something not right in your system.

regards,

Peter

Hi PGa,

Thanks for your input. I have a Canon Powershot that records video at selectable resolution- I have it at HD 1080 and when I drag it to my PTE project I get asked to convert. I always say Yes, so PTE is converting (Optimizing). That's why I'm wondering PTE would have a problem with it. I have not burnt any DVD's yet, just watching them on my PC. Since the audio plays fine on the pc, and the video plays fine in PTE, I cannot figure out why the audio would glitch within the project. Your suggestion that something in my system is doing it makes sense but I haven't a clue what yet. Before going to the trouble of converting my HD to MP$ (as someone suggested), I want to be sure that will solve the problem.

Pete

Guest Yachtsman1

So when I hit Optimize, is actually converting to something other than HD? In which case, why bother shooting in HD. Do most of you just go for 720 resolution (or what I call normal DVD quality...)?

You can switch of the optimisation & just use the function to edit (crop)the clip. Read through my tutorials in the tutorial section.

Yachtsman1.

PS the link I sent is a free video pad download for the basic function, it only become payable for the advanced version.

Yachtsman1.

So when I hit Optimize, is actually converting to something other than HD? In which case, why bother shooting in HD. Do most of you just go for 720 resolution (or what I call normal DVD quality...)?

HD is just a marketing term to make the consumer think it is better than "not HD". If you have captured video in 1920x1080 then your video will always be 1920x1080 on playback irrespective of what format it has been converted to. When PTE converts a video file it is encoding it using a different codec that, in most cases, results in a lesser degree of compression (i.e. a larger file). At first this seems counter-intuitive. But that less compressed file requires less computer power to play it back. The less power needed to do that, the more we can play around with our video files. One of the forum members, Lin Evans, has built cubes with video running on all six faces and then set them off tumbling in complex 3D rotations. He has also built a "video room" in which the walls, floor and ceiling are covered with tiny screens each running a video clip. As I recall, that sequence has over 500 video clips playing back at once. You do not lose any quality by letting PTE convert your video clips before you insert them into your sequence.

If, as you state, the stutter is not always in the same place, that points to the cause being something else going on in your system. Are your audio and video card drivers up to date? Do you have any heavy tasks running in the background: anti-virus scans, disk defragging, and such like?

regards,

Peter

Peter..and Yachtsman...

Thank you for your generous help.

Actually, I downloaded software that Yachtsman suggested, saw another utility on the same site- Prism video converter, that is super-simple- I HIGHLY recommend it for quick and easy conversion. and converted all my videos to MP4, which drastically reduced the glitching on my separate audio tracks.

Now I will try freeing up resources on my system as well. I will try burning a DVD to see if it is indeed only on playback on the PC that I hear this glitch.

Pete