WnSoft Forums

Can't open .pte'sin 7.5 if 8.0 is installed (Win8)

goddi

Greetings,

I don't know if this is a PTE problem or a Win8 problem. I can't seem to open a .pte show in 7.5. They keep opening in 8.0.

On my Win8 laptop, I have 7.5 and 8.0 installed. I don't want to save any current PTE shows in 8.0, yet. I want to keep working and saving past shows in 7.5.

However, when I open a .pte file (from MyComputer) that was formerly saved in 7.5, it opens in 8.0. So I then I do an 'Open With' of the .pte file and browse to 'PicturesToExe.exe' in the 7.5 folder, it still opens in 8.0.

Even if I open the 7.5 version and then do a 'File Open' of a .pte show, and then do a 'Save As', and then open the .pte, it, again, opens in 8.0, not 7.5.

What's going on here? Is this a Win8 problem or is there something in the installation of 8.0 that is causing this???

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

What is your procedure for opening a file - exact steps. Why are you trying to open a PTE file from "My Computer" rather than from PTE?

What happens if you open PTE :7.5, then navigate to the PTE file you want to open and click on it?

Best regards,

Lin

IIf I remember correctly, this is always what thappened with previous versions of PTE.

.pte files are always automatically opened with last version of PTE installed.

It's not because of Windows 8 or because of a bad manipulation.

I think Igor posted a topic about this subject a few years ago...

Hi Dom,

If that's what he's doing, then it will always open in the latest version of software installed. That's the way it's supposed to work. If you have four versions of Photoshop or six version of PTE or three versions of some other software and click on the file itself, unless you have instructed Windows otherwise it will always choose the most current version to open the file with. It's the only logical way to proceed.

My suggestion would be for him to open the version of PTE he wants to work with and then open the PTE file so there is no issue with defaults.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Dom,

The exact procedure is slightly different for different versions of Windows. I'm not certain about Window's 8 because I've never used it, but with XP you right click on the PTE file and then if there are multiple PTE files listed, you need to run the Properties to see which is PTE 7.5 and choose that one. If PTE isn't listed then you follow the prompts to get to the PTE exe file, but don't leave the window and go directly to the PTE file or Windows will not log the correct file.

With Windows 8 there may be a different procedure, but it would greatly simplify things if he just opened PTE 7.5 and then opened the pte file. Doing it that way there is no confusion by Windows about what is expected.

Best regards,

Lin

I use quite a few versions of PTE, even back to version 4.4.9, and I use a small utility that Ken Cox suggested to me. It allow you to 'right click' and then select the version of PTE that you want to load, from the contextual menu displayed.

The utility is called 'Open With'.

Ron West

Gary,

What is your procedure for opening a file - exact steps. Why are you trying to open a PTE file from "My Computer" rather than from PTE?

What happens if you open PTE :7.5, then navigate to the PTE file you want to open and click on it?

Best regards,

Lin

==================

Greetings Everyone,

I have 8.0 installed on both my desktop (Win7) and on my laptop (Win8). On my desktop (Win7), I can open a .pte file in 7.5, edit it, save it, and it will reopen in 7.5. When I do this on my laptop (Win8), it opens only in Win8. I can open 7.5 directly and work on a file, but when I save it and reopen it, it only opens in 8.0.

I know how to set the default opening program in Win7 and Win8. I have done this to try to set the default to open .pte in 7.5. But it still opens in 8.0.

I have installed 8.0 in my desktop (Win7) and my laptop (Win 8) exactly the same but the results are not the same.

Anybody else out there using Win8 with 8.0?

Lin, When I open 7.5 first and navigate to a .pte file and open it, it opens in 7.5. I save it (in the 7.5) but when I reopen it, in any other way, it opens in 8.0.

Gary

Gary,

When you installed V8 did you leave the association boxes ticked during the installation?

Try re-installing and make sure that they are unticked.

You cannot have both versions as the default - it must be one or the other.

Nothing to do with Windows.

========================

Dave,

Yes, I normally have it 'ticked'. I have always done this and never had this problem. I installed 8.0 on my desktop and my laptop the same way, both ticked. I don't have this problem on my desktop, but do on my laptop.

I will uninstall 8.0 on my laptop and reinstall with it 'unticked' and see what happens. But....there seems to be a difference in the way 8.0 gets installed in Win8. On my desktop I can save a .pte in 7.5 and reopen it in 7.5, no problem there.

Gary

I can only talk about W7.

My V7.5 is installed with the Boxes Ticked and V8 with boxes unticked.

Clicking on a .pte opens the project in V7.5.

If I want to use V8 I open V8 first and it opens the last saved project. I use File / Open if I want something ealse.

DG

==========================

Dave,

I just uninstalled 8.0 on my laptop (Win8). I reinstalled it 'unticked'. Now it works as expected.

However....when 8.0 was installed on my Win7 desktop, it was 'ticked', and this problems does not appear. I can open a .pte in 7.5, save it, and reopen it in 7.5 (even though 8.0 is installed). So I don't know what is going on with 8.0 installed in Win8. The 8.0 seems to be acting differently when installed in Win7 vs. Win8, when it is 'ticked'.

I hope someone else will install 8.0 in Win8, and 'ticked', to see what happens.

Gary