WnSoft Forums

A Few Output Questions

proton777

Hello all. I'm new to most of this and have been doing a lot of reading and learning on these forums.

I'm doing my first project and have a couple of questions. Here are my basics:

Windows 7, high-end Nvidia graphics card, PTE 7.5.

80 jpegs shot with a DSLR at 3:2, all resized to 1800 x 1200 (3:2)

mp3 music

Current project is being built in 3:2 aspect ratio.

I will be distributing the final product to several people and would like as much compatibility as possible for the various ways people might view the project, specifically on a PC and DVD to a television.

Looking at my output options....

I did a quick test project and published it using the custom output resolution option setting at 1800 x 1200 but playback failed using Windows Media Player. I used WMP because virtually everyone has it and want this project to work without having to download a special player.

I published the same project with other output resolutions until I found one that worked at 3:2 - 1440 x 960 (I think I did h.264) It was a saved file on my PC, not burned to a disk, and played back through a PC.

1) Can someone suggest a safe output resolution and format for viewing on a PC, while retaining a 3:2 output?

2) Same output resolution and format question for publishing a DVD for TV? I assume this would need to be published as an EXE.

3) Can both files be saved to a single physical disk? How?

4) Do I publish two separate projects (as determined by questions 1 and 2), save them to their own folder, then burn a disc separately from PTE using my Windows software?

5) A few of these discs will go overseas where different formats of PAL (B/D/G/M) are used. This could get messy. I have no problem publishing one finished project (based on Question 1) and telling people they MUST play it back on their PC only, if that is the best solution.

Thanks in advance.

MPEG4 is the option to use for TV - IF the TV has a USB port and a Media Player.

See the PUBLISH options.

MPEG4 is also compatible with WMP (on my PC!).

EXE and TV are not compatible.

Although your prefered AR is 3:2 (1080 High) consider superimposing this on a 16:9 Project (1920x1080) so that it is fully compatible with the current TV AR.

If you MUST have a DVD please come back with specific DVD questions.

For PC use 3:2 (1080 High) EXE.

My current output strategy is the following, all on one CD.

EXE for PC

EXE for MAC

MPEG4 for TV

MPEG4 for iPad 3/4

DG

DG, thanks very much for your response.

MPEG4 is the option to use for TV - IF the TV has a USB port and a Media Player.

I probably misspoke. I meant TV via a DVD player, not via the TV's USB port, but that's something I'd like to try. Great suggestion

See the PUBLISH options.

Gotcha

Although your prefered AR is 3:2 (1080 High) consider superimposing this on a 16:9 Project (1920x1080) so that it is fully compatible with the current TV AR.

Unfortunately, keeping the photos' native aspect ratio was a first-timer's "mistake". It's taken me 3 weeks to get from 6,700 photos to 80, so the last thing I want to do is re-edit each photo again into 16:9. Taking your suggestion about superimposing this on a 16:9 project, what will the finished project look like? 3:2 photos inside a 16:9 box with black borders? And is it as simple as changing the project to 16:9 then SAVE AS?

Ugh. I'm lost here. I don't know what questions to ask.

EXE for PC

Gotcha

EXE for MAC

Gotcha again here

MPEG4 for TV

How would the TV "know" it's supposed to play this file?

MPEG4 for iPad 3/4

Let's assume I wanted to duplicate your output strategy above. Can the single published disc, with all the above formats, be saved on the PUBLISH page in one step? Meaning, check all you want to do and PTE magically makes it happen or is it a manual, multi-step process?

Guest Yachtsman1

5) A few of these discs will go overseas where different formats of PAL (B/D/G/M) are used. This could get messy. I have no problem publishing one finished project (based on Question 1) and telling people they MUST play it back on their PC only, if that is the best solution.

Thanks in advance.

DG, thanks very much for your response.

I probably misspoke. I meant TV via a DVD player, not via the TV's USB port, but that's something I'd like to try. Great suggestion

See the PUBLISH options.

Gotcha

Unfortunately, keeping the photos' native aspect ratio was a first-timer's "mistake". It's taken me 3 weeks to get from 6,700 photos to 80, so the last thing I want to do is re-edit each photo again into 16:9. Taking your suggestion about superimposing this on a 16:9 project, what will the finished project look like? 3:2 photos inside a 16:9 box with black borders? And is it as simple as changing the project to 16:9 then SAVE AS?

Save as a 16:9 version. Yes you will have black bars at the sides - AR mis-match - you can't avoid that. If your project has animations - Pan / Zoom / Rotate you will need to put a "matte" over the images to preserve the 3:2 - if you need to do this just ask?

Ugh. I'm lost here. I don't know what questions to ask.

PUBLISH - DVD-Video Disc - Go as far as you can - when you get stuck, come back?

EXE for PC

Gotcha

EXE for MAC

Gotcha again here

MPEG4 for TV

How would the TV "know" it's supposed to play this file?

If your TV has a USB Port it will have a Media Player - the BUT is that some (older) TVs with USB only support MP3 Audio.

You will have to read the TV manual to tell you what to do after you have plugged the USB Key in - it is not Auto.

MPEG4 for iPad 3/4

Let's assume I wanted to duplicate your output strategy above. Can the single published disc, with all the above formats, be saved on the PUBLISH page in one step? Meaning, check all you want to do and PTE magically makes it happen or is it a manual, multi-step process?

NO - you create the CD or DVD as a DATA CD/DVD to send to whoever and they take it from there - transfer to PC or MAC - transfer to USB Key - Transfer to iPad using iTunes.

davegee, Thank you for your post. Good stuff. Very helpful info. It all makes sense except for the last part.

ME: Let's assume I wanted to duplicate your output strategy above. Can the single published disc, with all the above formats, be saved on the PUBLISH page in one step? Meaning, check all you want to do and PTE magically makes it happen or is it a manual, multi-step process?

YOU: NO - you create the CD or DVD as a DATA CD/DVD to send to whoever and they take it from there - transfer to PC or MAC - transfer to USB Key - Transfer to iPad using iTunes.

If I want to have a file in some format to play on a PC, (like .mov or .wmv) AND have second file format (TBD...h.264?) for a DVD player to play to a TV, can that be done on one disk?

If so, I would guess I publish and manually save the 2 separate files as described above, then burn a Data Disk in Windows with the 2 files?

Guest Yachtsman1

I think the best solution is to burn one file to a disk, in a format that everyone can play on their PC, and forget about everything else.

What I used to do when I was into DVD was burn the master using PTE Video Builder, then copy that with a freebie copying software & burn multiples. It may have a little degredation, but viewing on a TV you wouldn't know.

yachtsman1.

I think the best solution is to burn one file to a disk, in a format that everyone can play on their PC, and forget about everything else.

If you want the file to be played on a Windows PC the EXE is highest quality & easiest to make.

This can be sent to people electronically so saves having to burn & post discs.

No additional software is required to play the EXE

Jill

davegee, in yesterday's message board postings, you made a suggestion to me about my 3:2 project. Here is the excerpt:

Save as a 16:9 version. Yes you will have black bars at the sides - AR mis-match - you can't avoid that. If your project has animations - Pan / Zoom / Rotate you will need to put a "matte" over the images to preserve the 3:2 - if you need to do this just ask?

I'd like to give this a try. Just to be clear, my project has all 3:2 images, all with animation (zoom/pans). In my PROJECT OPTIONS, I selected 3:2.

Since you said to try saving my project as a 16:9, I assume you mean do this in the PUBLISH page, i.e., output. I would chose 1920 x 1080 and end up with black borders. That's fine.

Now, what about the matte you referred to to protect pan/zoom?

Your project AR would be 16:9 (1920x1080)

Your images would be 3:2 (1620x1080)

When you drag the images into the slide line the images would immediately fill the height and give you black bars on the side. You could also change the AR of an existing project to 16:9 and do the same thing.

You could then place the following PNG file at the top of the "stack" in O&A to finish it off nicely and hide any PZR animations going on in the 3:2 images outside of the 3:2 area.

post-2488-0-62922000-1383414520_thumb.pn

DG

When you drag the images into the slide line the images would immediately fill the height and give you black bars on the side. You could also change the AR of an existing project to 16:9 and do the same thing.

You could then place the following PNG file at the top of the "stack" in O&A to finish it off nicely and hide any PZR animations going on in the 3:2 images outside of the 3:2 area.

DG

That's a creative solution. I'll give it a try once the "input" side of my project is complete. Almost there.

Thanks for your time once again.

DG

OK, I'm trying to figure out how to do this and I'm pretty lost here.

I have my 3:2 project complete. Do I need to start a new 16:9 project, then "drag the images into the slide line" as a new project?

I don't understand what "stack" you are referring to, or what "O&A" is. I get the idea of the white matte/mask but don't know where to put it.

You said this could be done under and existing show. Is this done under "Publish Show" with my existing completed project? If so, where do I go after choosing that?

I'm very sorry for all of this. Next project will be 16 x 9.

Once you have finished your 3:2 project Save it and then Save As a different name (add WS to the existing title).

In Project Options change the Aspect ratio to 16:9 and make sure the screen resolution is 1920x1080.

Save again (with the WS added).

Download this:

MATTE.zip

Unzip and save the 1920_3_2Matte.png to your Project Folder.

Now, click on OBJECTS and ANIMATION (O&A).

The right hand side will look something like this:

post-2488-0-06203400-1383492473_thumb.jp

Make sure that nothing is selected in O&A by clicking in open space.

Right click below your existing file in the Object Panel on the right and choose Add / Image and navigate to wherever you have saved my 1920_3_2MATTE.png.

It should then appear as shown below:

post-2488-0-59368100-1383494135_thumb.jp

You now have to add that matte to all slides - you can copy and paste.

In Slide 1 O&A Copy the Matte (Right Click - Copy). Click on the arrow top right of the screen to go to Slide 2 - Paste (Making sure that NOTHING is selected).

Click on the arrow to go to slide 3 - Paste (Making sure that NOTHING is selected).

You will get a rhythm going and it will not take too long.

DG

Once you have finished your 3:2 project Save it and then Save As a different name (add WS to the existing title).

In Project Options change the Aspect ratio to 16:9 and make sure the screen resolution is 1920x1080.

Save again (with the WS added).

Download this:

MATTE.zip

Unzip and save the 1920_3_2Matte.png to your Project Folder.

Now, click on OBJECTS and ANIMATION (O&A).

The right hand side will look something like this:

post-2488-0-06203400-1383492473_thumb.jp

Make sure that nothing is selected in O&A by clicking in open space.

Right click below your existing file in the Object Panel on the right and choose Add / Image and navigate to wherever you have saved my 1920_3_2MATTE.png.

It should then appear as shown below:

post-2488-0-59368100-1383494135_thumb.jp

You now have to add that matte to all slides - you can copy and paste.

In Slide 1 O&A Copy the Matte (Right Click - Copy). Click on the arrow top right of the screen to go to Slide 2 - Paste (Making sure that NOTHING is selected).

Click on the arrow to go to slide 3 - Paste (Making sure that NOTHING is selected).

You will get a rhythm going and it will not take too long.

DG

Excellent. That was a very thorough and detailed lesson. I'll give it a try later this evening. Thanks again!

Excellent. That was a very thorough and detailed lesson. I'll give it a try later this evening. Thanks again!

Now it's this evening....

Almost there. Worked great. Just like you explained. Almost. The only problem is there a small white border around each image. I modified only a few frames and checked to see the result before doing the whole thing. All the modified slides have this border.

Although I did change the AR to 16:9 and SAVED AS, I'm not sure if/how/where to enter 1920 x 1080.

I wonder if I just need to create a new 16:9 project first, then drop the 3:2 photos in.

Next update....

Started a new 16:9 project. Found the setting for screen res to 1920 x 1080. I have the same white border. "Enable Border" is unchecked for both the main image and the matte overlay. I tried other settings in O$A for both images in each slide and nothing removes that white border.

post-12268-0-25002100-1383524630_thumb.j

Sorry, the white border is on the Matte.

If you want one without the border I will post later.

I always use that for anything less than full screen.

DG

Oh, ok. At least it's supposed to be there and not a settings issue. I don't mind it.

I think everything has been taken care of. Thank you very much, Dave. Now I would like to give back something.

Dave, do you have a charity or some cause you support? If so, I'd like to make donation to show my appreciation for all your time and help.

Oh, ok. At least it's supposed to be there and not a settings issue. I don't mind it.

I think everything has been taken care of. Thank you very much, Dave. Now I would like to give back something.

Dave, do you have a charity or some cause you support? If so, I'd like to make donation to show my appreciation for all your time and help.

Thanks,

But that's why we are here?

Spread the word and support PTE.

DG