WnSoft Forums

Some DVD burning questions

proton777

I'm curious about a couple of things while trying to burn my first project to CDs.

In Video Builder, you can select between PAL and NTSC. Both are 4:3 SD formats but the fixed resolution shown in PAL is 720 x 576 (5:4) and in NTSC it's 720 x 480 (3:2). Neither of the 4:3 formats is actually 4:3.

Anyway, I burned my 16:9 project to a 4:3 NTSC disc and when playing back on the DVD, of course the video is cut off on my 4:3 SD TV. It seems like the creator needs to know what specific device the content will be played and adjust the output accordingly. Not PicturesToExe's fault. Just so darned many formats out there.

Now, about an HD DVD. I read the forums and there isn't support for it and there is talk of dropping DVD support altogether.

If I want to burn my 1920 x 1080 project to a BluRay disk, is it as simple as converting my project to MP4 (which I've already done in PTE), then using another program, burn that file to a BR disk? I heard h.264 is the same as MP4, which is the BluRay standard.

Any help is appreciated.

The 720x576 should possibly be 768x576.

Typo?

If you still have an old 4:3 TV then you need to UNTICK Fixed Size of Slide in Project Options / Screen.

DG

I found the options setting. Thanks. I guess I should save each one of these settings changes a different project.

See attachment for screen captures regarding output resolution.

post-12268-0-06651700-1384104442_thumb.j

Peter

like so many, he did not practice "RAT'S"

READ ALL THREADS ))))))))))

ken

Ken, yes I did, in fact, read EVERY post in that thread. My initial post clearly said there is merely talk about dropping DVD support.

As a newbie, I came here for information, not criticism. You came here from left field, offering nothing but a jab in the third person.

While the format aspect ratio of DVD video is different between PAL and NTSC, so is the pixel aspect ratio. So it is possible to author video that will play back at either 4:3 or 16:9 (the two most common formats) in both PAL and NTSC formats - just like commercial DVDs. PTE will take care of the format and pixel aspect ratio requirements behind the scenes as long as you have all the settings correct.

To burn to Blu-ray disk in Blu-ray video format you will need another program. There are many out there that vary widely in price and capability but, yes, it should be very straightforward once you have a .mp4 file. H.264 is not exactly the same as MP4. MP4 is a video container standard while H.264 is a codec.

While the format aspect ratio of DVD video is different between PAL and NTSC, so is the pixel aspect ratio. So it is possible to author video that will play back at either 4:3 or 16:9 (the two most common formats) in both PAL and NTSC formats - just like commercial DVDs. PTE will take care of the format and pixel aspect ratio requirements behind the scenes as long as you have all the settings correct.

To burn to Blu-ray disk in Blu-ray video format you will need another program. There are many out there that vary widely in price and capability but, yes, it should be very straightforward once you have a .mp4 file. H.264 is not exactly the same as MP4. MP4 is a video container standard while H.264 is a codec.

Ah, very informative! I've learned so much in these forums from my sole PTE project, and conquered every hurdle I've encountered. My next goal is to make a playable BluRay disk.

So, thanks for taking the time to post this information, potwnc.