WnSoft Forums

P2E will not open screen, but shows in Taskmgr

dbolt

First, I click on the P2E .exe and nothing seemed to happen. Checked in Taskmgr and P2E shows to be running using 13% CPU. I don't recall running P2E since replacing my C-drive with a SSD, so blamed the migration and figured something was missing. I reinstalled 7.5. It seemed to install normally, but when I clicked on the P2E icon, nothing seemed to happen, but the P2E process started running in Taskmgr using 13% CPU. Ended process and installed ver 8beta. It asked about trial and installed as expected, but pgm not display the opening screen.

I am committed to a slideshow on Dec 4, so a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Douglas,

Something is definitely not right. PTE should use only a tiny amount of CPU - on my system less than 1%. When you install PTE did you change the default for installation from C:\program files\Wnsoft PicturesToExe?

If so, this may have something to do with the problem. If you haven't already done so, try deleting PTE via the Control Panel and re-install on the SSD taking all the defaults and see if it then works.

Best regards,

Lin

thanks Lin,

P2E 8 and 7.5 went into C:\program files(x86)\Wnsoft PicturesToExe, but that is where 7.0 and 7.5.6 were installed and they worked fine. But, as I mentioned, I don't think I've used p2e since installing the ssd drive. My guess that something didn't get transferred when I migrated program files and

I'll uninstall 8 (via add/remove) and try to reinstall noting where it wants to put things.

It wants to put them in the above location.

Another thing I just noticed. I can't access the .\documents and settings folder. I see a locked icon on that folder. Administrators do not have permissions to access. That does not seem normal...

Hi Douglas,

That is strange. I'm wondering if you could try to install PTE on another drive such as D: if you have an internal hard disk drive. Something isn't right because your folder shouldn't be locked as far as I know. I suspect it's a system setting which is causing the issue, but I don't know enough about the new OS software to help figure it out. Maybe if Stu is reading he or maybe Tom could help here...

Also, you may want to read this:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=109724.0

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Thanks again. uninstalled 8 and then installed it in D:\WnSoft PicturesToExe\8.0 Beta 16 . Install seemed to go fine. It gave me the trial warning, but didn't launch. P2e process using 13% CPU was listed in Taskmgr. I then followed the instruction in the link you provided below (thanks for that) and was able to open the documents and settings folder. But clicking on the 7.5 icon did not launch P2E.

So far as I know, P2E is the only program (among many) on this PC that is not launching as expected.

Hi Douglas,

That is strange. I'm wondering if you could try to install PTE on another drive such as D: if you have an internal hard disk drive. Something isn't right because your folder shouldn't be locked as far as I know. I suspect it's a system setting which is causing the issue, but I don't know enough about the new OS software to help figure it out. Maybe if Stu is reading he or maybe Tom could help here...

Also, you may want to read this:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=109724.0

Best regards,

Lin

Douglas,

A few questions :

1) What is your Windows OS version and build ?

2) You say PTE Program appears in Task Manager. In the Applications tab ... is its status displayed as Running , Busy , or what ?

3) Does the PTE Program display in the bottom Windows Toolbar ?

4) Do PTE Slideshows.exe open and display correctly ?

A few simple things to check :

1) Check with the Direct X Diagnostic Tool Report. See if Direct X tab and Display tab indicates any problems. Test the Direct Draw and Direct 3D buttons. Verify if the Direct X Features are enabled

2) Check from the Windows Control Panel | Administrative Tools. Open Computer Management | System Tools | Event Viewer and look at the Application and System events for any error or warning flags. Double-click the flags to read its report of the event and what it relates to.

3) Check the Device Manager for any flagged devices.

Win7Pro with Service pac1, i7-920 chip with 12G memory

P2E shows in the process tab, not app. UAC and Data preventions columns are blank.

Not showing in toolbar.

pteViewer5.exe does not load - message says slideshow file not found

I'll post this and then try your suggestions. Thanks for your attention.

Douglas,

A few questions :

1) What is your Windows OS version and build ?

2) You say PTE Program appears in Task Manager. In the Applications tab ... is its status displayed as Running , Busy ,or what ?

3) Does the PTE Program display in the bottom Windows Toolbar ?

A few simple things to check :

1) Check with the Direct X Diagnostic Tool Report. See if Direct X tab and Display tab indicates any problems. Test the Direct Draw and Direct 3D buttons. Verify if the Direct X Features are enabled

2) Check from the Windows Control Panel | Administrative Tools. Open Computer Management | System Tools | Event Viewer and look at the Application and System events for any error or warning flags. Double-click the flags to read its report of the event and what it relates to.

The fact that PTEviwer5.exe also did not load seems informative. with executable in ver7 main, the message was just could not load executable. with Ver 7.5 and ver 7.5.6, it was slideshow file not found.

Hope this info helps. Also, device mgr didn't show any issues.

Douglas,

A few questions :

3) Check the Device Manager for any flagged devices.

Douglas,

pteViewer5.exe does not load - message says slideshow file not found

This is normal behavior. The pteViewer5.exe within the PTE program directory is not a user component. Its an external program component.

Try double-clicking directly from PTE program directory :

* Main (folder) - PicturesToExe.exe (this file launches the PTE main program)

* VideoBuilder (folder) - VideoBuilder.exe (this file launches the Video Builder program component in its own window)

When I asked :

* I was meaning with respect to your own slideshows.exe files published/made by you with PTE.

Note:

* I would first begin by installing a fresh set of current video card drivers. Its very possible something got corrupt/missing during the migration process.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

In most of the trials mentioned above, I clicked on the PicturesToExe.exe in the program folder. I've tried from within the 7.0, 7.5, 7.5.6, and 8.0 folders, as well as from the desktop icons. All behave the same - P2E does not show up on the screen, but the process running 13% of the CPU starts being listed in the Taskmgr screen.

I clicked on videobuilder.exe and videoconverter.exe from within the P2E program folder and they both load, ie., I get a the expected screen on my monitor and they both seem to behave as expected.

Just now (first time I've tried), I clicked on the WelcomeDemo.pte file. The progress circle was lit for a fews seconds and PC then asked which program to use to open the file. P2E was a listed choice and I clicked on it. After that, nothing. I checked Taskmgr and there was a second copy of P2E with 13% CPU showing. I ended both processes and tried again. PC did not ask which program to use, but did not open P2E and the process was listed in Taskmgr.

I may have misled the description of this problem by mentioning that I had not used p2e since installing the SSD without mentioning that that process was carried out in August of this year. I still suspect that that process may be involved with the current problem, but only my suspicion because I had to move lots of files from the old 1T C-hd to the D-HD in order to install the 256M SSD.

There has been no change in video performance that I'm aware of. I do routine Windows Updates.

Douglas,

This is normal behavior. The pteViewer5.exe within the PTE program directory is not a user component. Its an external program component.

Try double-clicking directly from PTE program directory :

* Main (folder) - PicturesToExe.exe (this file launches the PTE main program)

* VideoBuilder (folder) - VideoBuilder.exe (this file launches the Video Builder program component in its own window)

When I asked :

* I was meaning with respect to your own slideshows.exe files published/made by you with PTE.

Note:

* I would first begin by installing a fresh set of current video card drivers. Its very possible something got corrupt/missing during the migration process.

Douglas,

1. Please download a demo slideshow from WnSoft website:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/picturestoexe/slideshows/TheDom-Smile.zip

Will it play on your PC?

2. Please try to manually update the drivers for your video card. Download and install new drivers from NVIDIA or AMD website.

3. If it doesn't help, may I send you a special test version of PicturesToExe 8 Beta which will help me determine the point there the program freezes?

The very cute grand kids, I'm guessing, loaded and played normally. No issues.

I'll reinstall the video drivers now.

Douglas,

1. Please download a demo slideshow from WnSoft website:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/picturestoexe/slideshows/TheDom-Smile.zip

Will it play on your PC?

2. Please try to manually update the drivers for your video card. Download and install new drivers from NVIDIA or AMD website.

3. If it doesn't help, may I send you a special test version of PicturesToExe 8 Beta which will help me determine the point there the program freezes?

ATI Radeon HD 4600 card. let AMD detect and suggest driver update. Installed successfully. Rebooted. Tested > same result. Did not launch. I reset the Catalyst Control Center to slowest speed settings and retested. Same result. Did not launch. Each time, 13% CPU displayed in Taskmag.

I've uploaded a clip from taskmgr, in case there might be some useful data there. BTW, the individualpost-2555-0-06851400-1385920820_thumb.jp values do not seem to change over time.

The very cute grand kids, I'm guessing, loaded and played normally. No issues.

I'll reinstall the video drivers now.

Douglas,

I prepared the test version of PicturesToExe.

1. Please download this file:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/test/picturestoexe-test-version.exe

2. Install it (it will be installed as PicturesToExe 8 Beta 17).

3. Run it.

4. The program will show a series of message windows (for example, "Unit1_1").

5. Please let me know the text of last message before the moment when it freezes with 13% CPU loading.

Thanks in advance,

Igor,

Yes, sure!

Yes, the processor is a i7-920, which I believe has 8 cores.

I've attached a snip showing core info from taskmgr.

Douglas,

Can I send you the special test version of PicturesToExe?

Do you have 8-core processor in your PC? In this case 13% means that PicturesToExe utilizes one core on 100%.

post-2555-0-46978400-1385927268_thumb.jp

Ok, Program type 1-3 ok, then asked from where to import settings (i said 7.5), type 4, ok, then popup said DPR_1, 2 73 OK, then popup changed to Unit 1, 2,3,4,5 ok and then pupup changed to Eval copy, clicked continue trial, Taskmgr now shows 13% and program appears to be locked (acting like I've described in previous posts).

Here's a snip from Taskmgr

Douglas,

I prepared the test version of PicturesToExe.

1. Please download this file:

2. Install it (it will be installed as PicturesToExe 8 Beta 17).

3. Run it.

4. The program will show a series of message windows (for example, "Unit1_1").

5. Please let me know the text of last message before the moment when it freezes with 13% CPU loading.

Thanks in advance,

post-2555-0-25260500-1385927948_thumb.jp

type 1-8 ok

dpr1-3 ok

unit 1-4 ok

final 1-2 ok

continue trial ok

final pte setting 3-4 ok

final pte setting 5 was the last popup .

Pte in taskmgr now shows 13% CPU

Douglas,

Thanks for testing!

Please download the new test version #2.

Let me know the last message before freezing.

Douglas,

I forgot to ask. If I understood rightly you have this problem with both versions - 7.5 and 8.0. Right?

Did you have same problem with 7.5 earlier, or with previous versions of PicturesToExe on your PC?

Try to uninstall version 7.5, install again and when PicturesToExe will suggest to import settings from the previous versions, please SKIP this action. Will it help to run PicturesToExe 7.5?

Igor,

Yes, 7.0, 7.5, 7.5.6, and 8.

I removed (add/remove) 7.5 and 8 and then reinstalled. No help.

sorry for the delay. Skype call.

Douglas,

I forgot to ask. If I understood rightly you have this problem with both versions - 7.5 and 8.0. Right?

Did you have same problem with 7.5 earlier, or with previous versions of PicturesToExe on your PC?

Try to uninstall version 7.5, install again and when PicturesToExe will suggest to import settings from the previous versions, please SKIP this action. Will it help to run PicturesToExe 7.5?

Success!

asked to import from 8.0 beta 17 : because 8 had never loaded normally, I selected 7.0. On prior testing, I've selected 7.5 because that has worked fine in the past.

Trial ok

final ok

Load project 1-5, 5a & 6 ok

Final tpesettings 6 OK and pte loaded normally.

Note that I elected to have PTE load settings from 7.0 instead of 7.5. May, or may not be a factor, but I wanted to point it out.

Douglas,

Thanks for your patience and help!

If you allow, please try the test version #3