WnSoft Forums

Slide Styles messing up timing

tva1840

I'm not a newby to PTE or viewing this forum. It's just that I don't normally post. Except now of course when I need advice.

Just downloaded v8 and playing with the new additions. Have found a strange anomoly, tried using Styles on a sequence which is already set up (v7.5). However no matter which style I select the timing goes completely bonkers on slides after the one selected (though not every one). Any slides which had animation loses the time allowed and the following slide then takes that time. I make sure the duration of style matches the slide, so what am I doing wrong? if anything, or is this a bug?

Also when I set a full duration and apply, the timing on that slide is wrong, eg duration + transition should be 8 sec now maybe is only 4 sec, which maybe explains the problems further down the sequence.

Anybody with any ideas.

Terry

Terry,

Try Styles out on a BLANK/NEW project to get some idea of how they work.

Trying them on an existing project is not the way to go until you are happy about them and how they work.

Applying a style will overwrite any existing animations in the slide that you are applying it to.

DG

I do not understand why a style has to include a fixed duration parameter. I hope future development of PTE and of styles (which we are told is planned) will remove the need for a style to specify a fixed duration.

Ken T

(APLman)

That is not an intuitive way of ensuring that my chosen durations are preserved. In any case, when we take somebody else's style and apply it to our work, we should expect it to apply the entirety of the author's intentions. To do anything else is disrespectful of that author, who may have spent hours carefully crafting the Style.

Just my opinon.

regards,

Thanks to all members who have replied to my post and especially jt who pointed me to a very interesting debate on this subject in another post. Last night was our Camera Club AV group meeting and I showed our members Ver8 and some of the new features. I was naturally asked about Slide Styles and how it would benefit newcomers to AV work. We do have like most groups a mix of experience and newcomers. I wasn't able to answer definately yes go ahead and use them as I was still somewhat confused myself and I hadn't been able at the time to do some experimentation. They certainly didn't work as I thought they would from Igors blurb.

After experimentation I must agree with Peter (PGA) that you need to know you are going to use a style before you start to program your show, do it first and then do the timing/animation on other slides. However eg. if you find after completing your show and you "think I dont like that style after all" and deleting that style through clicking no style this alters the timing further down the timeline. Not desirable.

I know Slide Styles are a WIP like the earlier sound editing forays, but for a newcomer the way it is implemented now could be very confusing. I and other members of our group will do more work on this so we can improve our workflow, but just clicking a button and expecting it to work it is not.

Terry

Ken,

You are probably aware of the SPEED control which allows you to specify the Style time equal to the time of the slide(s) you are applying it to?

DG

Thank you DG. I was not aware - will investigate.

Ken T (APLman)