WnSoft Forums

Setting slide sync

KenP

I have found out how to set the time at which slides change on the timeline and I can write down slide change times in Cool Edit Pro and enter them in P2E but I was wondering if there is another way.

It would be great if I could play my combined sound track and hit a key at the point I want to change slides as you could on a tape system.

Regards,

Ken

Ken:

That would be great as a feature I agree. Even have the music "show" in the PTE timeline. Unfortunately the only software that allows that (that I know) is Adobe Premiere. (Cool Edit is now Adobe Audition).

Premiere only costs somewhere around $700US.... ;)

It would be great if I could play my combined sound track and hit a key at the point I want to change slides as you could on a tape system.

I must be missing what you mean? It seems this is what we can already do in customize sync window on the timeline. Jim, can you clarify what I am missing on this?

What I was referring to (and what I thought Ken was referring to) was the availablilty of the music "visually" (like an old ocilliscope) adjacent to the time line, so you can see the beats (at times).

I have an analog slide dissolve system that does that (Arion Wizard). Adobe Premiere has it as well. Adobe Premiere also has a sound editor (a basic one) bult-in as well so you can move different sound tracks around without having to exit out of the AV software to fine tune your sound (This is especially nice when you have sound effects to go with certain slides) Yes you can use the Sound line at the bottom of the main page, but that only works for the one image, if your sound effect goes across more than one, then you have a problem.

I am not knocking PTE at all, the number of times I would use the sound editor in PTE is not that great, but when I do, it sure would be great !! ;) )

The visual music would be nice, but thumbnails are MUCH more important !!!!

This feature (waveform in addition to time-line) is already in "todo" booklet of Igor. But it's not a simple improvement, so I think we cannot expect it soon.

Please forgive me!!

I have a very beginners question and I did try to find an answer in the PTE help but to no avail.

I cannot find the synch feature for the music that you were referring to. Where are the features for the time line?

Maybe I am confused as to what exactly the time line is!!??

Sorry for the ignorance in advance but thank you for your help.

Gary

You don't need forgiveness, Gary - and don't worry. When we begin to use a new software, we must learn it!

PTE time-line is in "Project Options" > "Main" tab. You have to select "Synchronize slideshow to music duration" and then push "Customize synchronization" button. You'll see a scale graduated in seconds - our time-line.

If you'll encouter other problems, don't hesitate to ask in this forum: here are a lot of advanced users, who are willing to help the other forum members (beginners and not beginners).

Gary,

Welcome!

In addition to Guido's excellent information, I just want to remind you that you also need to have some background music selected under Project Options / Music, or the timeline won't function

I think you're right, Al... :D

Even if, actually, we DON'T need a background music. :blink: What we need is a sound file (Mp3, Ogg...), which can even be completely silent !

Forgive me, Al... I'm only joking.

Or not?! :wacko:

Guido,

What's music to one's ear is silence to another's. And even silence can be "music to the ear"! B):) But, joking aside, point well taken! Guido, you're always so precise, even when you're "joking"! :D Just goes to show, 4 ears are better than 2! :)

Hi Gary

I, too am a new user, but have found P to E very intuitive. You will find Al Robinson's tutorial "PTE101" excellent. Modesty probably prevented Al from mentioning it in his contributions contribution to this thread! Al,s tutorial can be found at Beechbrook Cottage.

Happy P to E ing.

Severn Bore