WnSoft Forums

Menu icons can overlap....

goddi

Greetings,

I opened a show in V.8.0.1 and I noticed something strange. On the main screen, two icons were overlapping each other. At first I thought that my screen was having problems so I re-opened PTE. After a few seconds, I happened to move the Files List window to the right and the icons then separated. I think this could cause a problem for someone who might not realize that this can happen.

Perhaps, the dropdown menu (with Fit All Slides...) should be moved to the right so that when the Files List window is moved to the left, it will not cause an overlap of icons, one sitting on top of another one. Or reposition most of the icons to the right of the Files List window border so no icons would be 'hidden' if the Files List window was adjusted to the left.

And the problem varies whether you have the 'Show File Tree' selected or not.

Gary

post-1794-0-55594300-1387834414_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-35262000-1387834416_thumb.jp

Hi Gary,

That's a Windows issue - not a PTE issue...

Best regards,

Lin

=========================

Greetings Lin,

It might be a result of how Windows works but the problem is a placement of the icons and design of the Files List window. It the affected icons (under the Files List window) are moved to the right, where the mini-player is, then the icons would not be covered or overridden by the movement of the Files List. Also, why not put a limit on how far the Files List can be moved to the left so as not to override the icons.

I don't see any excuse for menu icons to be able to disappear or be overridden when a window is re-sized.

Or, better yet, why not have the bottom edge of the Files List window to end just above those icons so the re-sizing of the Files List window will not affect those icons????

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

=========================

. Also, why not put a limit on how far the Files List can be moved to the left so as not to override the icons.

Gary

Gary That's a no no for me, I regularly drag the whole viewing window to the right or left to either get a view of the thumbnails or the full screen image. From reading this & other similar problems you have with the file tree, it's to do with how you assemble your shows, cherry picking from different folders. IMO it's a basic concept for PTE that all the images for a particular show are contained in one folder. That way I only have to access the file tree once when assembling a show, then I can park it hidden to the left & have the full monitor to play with.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-81877400-1387843561_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-04636100-1387843574_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-02247100-1387843588_thumb.jp

Gary That's a no no for me, I regularly drag the whole viewing window to the right or left to either get a view of the thumbnails or the full screen image. From reading this & other similar problems you have with the file tree, it's to do with how you assemble your shows, cherry picking from different folders. IMO it's a basic concept for PTE that all the images for a particular show are contained in one folder. That way I only have to access the file tree once when assembling a show, then I can park it hidden to the left & have the full monitor to play with.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

======================

Eric,

You must have me confused with someone else. I definitely do NOT "cherry pick" from different folders. Quite the opposite. You showed three images in your posting. Two are in the Slide View. However, the problem I am describing only happens in the Timeline View. And in your third image you show the problem very clearly. I think the solution to not having an icon cover other icon is to have the bottom border of the Files List to end just above the row of icons beneath it. When the File List window is resized left to right, the icons beneath remain in their place and not override the other icons.

Gary

post-1794-0-46214900-1387846883_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Gary

Why do you need to see the file tree when producing a show?, once the correct folder has been selected it's surplus to requirements IMO, & seeing it throughout production is just cluttering the workspace. The three screen shots I selected, the first 2 were to illustrate my workflow by being able to see what I want when I want. The simplicity of being able to drag the workspace to where the user wants it should not be restricted by what you are suggesting. From 7.5, the restriction on the size of the waveform & not being able to drag it to the size I want is sorely missed. Maybe as someone suggested some time ago a pop up button container with all the controls in one box would be a better concept.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-62120900-1387870215_thumb.gi

Gary,

I, too, see this problem when in the Timeline and consider it to be a design fault in PTE rather than a Windows issue. The cause of the problem is the placement of the "Tools" button just to the left of the mini-player's "Play/Pause" button. When you drag the boundary of the mini-player, that Tools button moves as well. It is obviously part of the mini-player group. That Tools button would be better positioned as the first button directly under the mini-player, with the "Play/Pause" button and everything else moving to the right a little along the mini-player's nav bar. Then, when you change the width of the mini-player, everything would move accordingly and there would be no overlapping of anything. Perhaps, for completeness, the button should be greyed out and inactive when in the Slides view.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

I, too, see this problem when in the Timeline and consider it to be a design fault in PTE rather than a Windows issue. The cause of the problem is the placement of the "Tools" button just to the left of the mini-player's "Play/Pause" button. When you drag the boundary of the mini-player, that Tools button moves as well. It is obviously part of the mini-player group. That Tools button would be better positioned as the first button directly under the mini-player, with the "Play/Pause" button and everything else moving to the right a little along the mini-player's nav bar. Then, when you change the width of the mini-player, everything would move accordingly and there would be no overlapping of anything. Perhaps, for completeness, the button should be greyed out and inactive when in the Slides view.

regards,

Peter

======================

Peter, Eric, Lin,

Yes, 'design fault' is a good way to put it. I don't see why that row of tool icons needs to be included with the resizing of the File List. The simple solution is to move the bottom of that 'window' to be above the tool icon row. And Eric can drag the window any which way and not have any icon covered up.

Lin, interesting that you say it does not happen XP. I assume you are using 8.0.1. I wonder why the difference. Igor????

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, using 8.0.1 andI can't make it happen with my system running XP Home Edition which is why I believe it's a Windows issue rather than a PTE issue. On my other system with Windows 8.1 I can make it happen. This tells me that it's probably a Windows issue. It would be possible to resolve it with PTE changes, but it's not a PTE design flaw.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

Yes, using 8.0.1 andI can't make it happen with my system running XP Home Edition which is why I believe it's a Windows issue rather than a PTE issue. On my other system with Windows 8.1 I can make it happen. This tells me that it's probably a Windows issue. It would be possible to resolve it with PTE changes, but it's not a design flaw.

Best regards,

Lin

============================

Lin,

The problem occurs with my Windows 7 and Windows 8.0 with PTE 8.01 and PTE 7.0.1 and PTE 6.5. I don't have an XP machine to see what you see. But I'd think that if it is happening differently between operating systems, I'd call it a bug (or whatever you want to call it) and hopefully Igor can fix it. But covering up menu icons when resizing a window, I would think should not happen.

Gary