WnSoft Forums

PTE CONVERTER (7.5.10)

orizaba

PTE Converter (from PTE 7.5.10) does not accept M2TS files.

I tried to simply change M2TS extension to MOV extension (no conversion at all) and PTE Converter accepts and converts to AVI without any problem.

Is there any inconvenient? No quality loss? How is this possible?

Thanks.

PTE Converter (from PTE 7.5.10) does not accept M2TS files.

I tried to simply change M2TS extension to MOV extension (no conversion at all) and PTE Converter accepts and converts to AVI without any problem.

Is there any inconvenient? No quality loss? How is this possible?

Thanks.

112 views and 0 replies?

It seams like PTE Converter could accept M2TS files, directly.

I wonder why all this can happen.

No comments?

All this is because I often use SONY VEGAS to stabilize MOV videos from my DSLR.

Best file type VEGAS can offer when rendering is M2TS.

To use such videos in PTE we must convert them into AVI, so, to avoid a double conversion I change M2TS extension to MOV and PTE Converter does the job.

No other member had this situation?

I suspect the reason why the extension is not directly accepted is that the M2TS or MTS (same file, different extension) is also used in the AVCHD format which PTE doesn't yet support. There will be a new ffmpg library in the future (8.5) I think, and it will accept several different extensions directly. But for now it appears that we must manually change various extensions such as M2TS, MTS, MOD which are all MPEG-2 variants to get the PTE converter to accept them. If the M2TS extension were automatically accepted and the format was AVCHD, I suspect the converter would crash and to avoid this possibility, the developers elected to not automatically accept these extensions. Just a guess on my part...

Best regards,

Lin

I suspect the reason why the extension is not directly accepted is that the M2TS or MTS (same file, different extension) is also used in the AVCHD format which PTE doesn't yet support. There will be a new ffmpg library in the future (8.5) I think, and it will accept several different extensions directly. But for now it appears that we must manually change various extensions such as M2TS, MTS, MOD which are all MPEG-2 variants to get the PTE converter to accept them. If the M2TS extension were automatically accepted and the format was AVCHD, I suspect the converter would crash and to avoid this possibility, the developers elected to not automatically accept these extensions. Just a guess on my part...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I have a Pansonic G3 with a video function that prduces AVCHD format files having an extension of .MTS. Version 8.1 accepts these files and will either convert them to an .avi format or use the original file. i think that Version 7.5 did not do this but am not sure.

Regards

Jeff

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks so much for your guess. Yes, I think your explanation is the correct one, and now I understand.

Best regards,

Jose

Just for information.

I agree with Jeff, PTE (even v7.5.10) is able to manage AVCHD files with MTS extension. There were a lot of improvement which has been done by PTE team on this subject.

The MTS file can be played within the PTE mini-viewer and converted in AVI (mpeg4 ASP by PTE videoconverter). Even if there is a slight loose of quality by converting H264 AVCHD in Mpeg4 ASP, the result is quite good and ease the work of video editing after without requiring too much power processing.

By comparison Premiere Pro is doing something similar, up to CS5 (I have no experience with CS6). In fact Premiere Pro converts all the AVCHD files into MPEG video files for the video editing process (In that way, we can say Premiere Pro CS5 is not ACHD compatible either). And Premiere Pro requires much more times for rendering. It is easier and far less time consuming to do the same job with PTE for the same or even better quality result.

Daniel

PS : I agree with Lin there are small differences between M2TS and MTS files but for those who use cameras or camcorders, the original file embedded in AVCHD containers : /BDMV/STREAM are in MTS. They are converted in M2TS by players or intermediate softwares like Sony Picture Motion Browser in order to link all separated MTS video files together for playing on TV set.

• 1 month later...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I just upgraded to PTE 8.0.1 and I can see now that its Converter accepts m2ts files (Converter 7.5.10 did not accept, I had to rename to mov).

So, it was before your suspected future (8.5)!

Great!

Regards,

Jose

PS: What about our recent private messages...?!

Hi Jose,

I had meant to get back to you because when I opened the zipped archive, these files were missing - if you could send these to me I'll have a look. I've been pretty tied up with some personal issues lately and have just recently gotten back to the forum:

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\02A xx MÁSCARA TOTAL CORRIGIDA.jpg

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\03 xx MÁSCARA 1 DELHI - JAIPUR.jpg

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\MEIO CÍRCULO PRETO.png

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\04 xx MÁSCARA 2 JAIPUR - SAWAI.jpg

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\05 xx MÁSCARA 3 SAWAI - CHITTAURGARH.jpg

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\06 xx MÁSCARA 4 CHITTAURGARH - UDAIPUR.jpg

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\07 xx MÁSCARA 5 UDAIPUR - JAISALMER.jpg

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\08 xx MÁSCARA 6 JAISALMER - JODHPUR.jpg

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\09 xx MÁSCARA 7 JODHPUR - BHARATPUR.jpg

Picture: J:\F - PTE PARA TESTES\MAPA ÍNDIA\10 xx MÁSCARA 8 BHARATPUR - AGRA.jpg

Thanks,

Lin

Hi Jose,

I had meant to get back to you because when I opened the zipped archive, these files were missing - if you could send these to me I'll have a look. I've been pretty tied up with some personal issues lately and have just recently gotten back to the forum:

Hi Lin,

Thanks.

I just emailed you.

Regards,

Jose