WnSoft Forums

Bold Type on Slides Used

I posted this elsewhere earlier, but maybe it's been missed...

In certain circumstances (I'm not sure precisely which - can anyone tell me please?) the bold face titling disappears from the pictures that have been used in a project. This means that this (very useful) guide to what's been used and what's not becomes inaccurate. Would it be possible to link the 'bold' facility more permanently, or do I mean closely, to what's in the timeline and the 'slides' list?

Secondary to this, would it be possible to make some other distinguishing mark for files that have been used as 'added images' in Objects & Animations? (At present of course they look as if they haven't been used...)

Thanks in anticipation...

PhotoFlora

I think that the previous reply might have suggested that images inserted into slides via O&A are not Bold because they are not Main Images?

One way to address this is to put images used in O&A in a Sub-Folder to your Project Folder.

That way, they are not seen in the main Folder and the Bold or Normal Text is not an issue.

DG

...Secondary to this, would it be possible to make some other distinguishing mark for files that have been used as 'added images' in Objects & Animations? (At present of course they look as if they haven't been used...)

Thanks in anticipation...

PhotoFlora

====================================

Greetings PhotoFlora,

I have been asking for something similar for some time but it has not been addressed. If you put slides in the project (dragging them down from the File List), the filenames becomes bolded (and they become a 'Main Object'). However, if you "Add Image" while in O&A (they therefore are not a 'Main Object'), the filename is not bolded, so you are not sure if it has been put in the project or not.

I made one show where only video clips were added to each blank slide. The File List had only video clips in the folder. When I looked at the File List, I could not tell which video clips had been used or not. It would be nice to be able to distinguish if an image or a video clip has been added if it is not a 'Main Object'.

I have asked that some indicator be created for images that have been "Added" (therefore not a 'Main Object') to the show, such as italics or a color, or anything so we know that that image has been to the project. I think this would be a useful and helpful improvement.

Gary

====================================

Greetings PhotoFlora,

I have been asking for something similar for some time but it has not been addressed. If you put slides in the project (dragging them down from the File List), the filenames becomes bolded (and they become a 'Main Object'). However, if you "Add Image" while in O&A (they therefore are not a 'Main Object'), the filename is not bolded, so you are not sure if it has been put in the project or not.

I made one show where only video clips were added to each blank slide. The File List had only video clips in the folder. When I looked at the File List, I could not tell which video clips had been used or not. It would be nice to be able to distinguish if an image or a video clip has been added if it is not a 'Main Object'.

I have asked that some indicator be created for images that have been "Added" (therefore not a 'Main Object') to the show, such as italics or a color, or anything so we know that that image has been to the project. I think this would be a useful and helpful improvement.

Gary

Gary, thanks for yours - you have hit the (second) nail right on the head - that's exactly what I was requesting - how about bold italics as a distinguishing mark? 'Pretty Please' Igor!

Nobody yet has come up with the reason for images becoming 'un-bolded', even when they haven't been removed from the sequence. I'm sure it has something to do with sequences of mine that have had a history that is in some way less than straightforward, but I don't know any more - I bet somebody out there does though...!

Thanks Guys!

Photoflora

I think that the previous reply might have suggested that images inserted into slides via O&A are not Bold because they are not Main Images?

One way to address this is to put images used in O&A in a Sub-Folder to your Project Folder.

That way, they are not seen in the main Folder and the Bold or Normal Text is not an issue.

DG

DaveGee, thanks!

I maybe wasn't clear enough in the first part of my post...? (The second half Gary has appreciated exactly - see my reply - so I reckon that settles that bit. Please Igor...)

I'm hoping someone knows what happens to cause slides that have been 'emboldened' (good word that! :)/> ) by insertion into the time line (as main objects of course) to become 'un-emboldened' <_</> , although they are still part of the (main) sequence. As I said, it seems to happen to sequences that have had a 'history' - is it maybe a change of project name? I don't know and prefer not to guess - I'm requesting an authoritative answer after all...

As far as putting used pics into another sub-folder, I'd be very reluctant to do this. I have been a fan of Barry Beckham's 'four-folder' system ever since I started (who's counting how long?) For clarity, I mean folders for: 1. sounds, 2. projects, 3. raw image storage and 4. pictures for show (and maybe a fifth one for documents like the script and any research info.).

To complicate this system with a sub-folder for used pictures might in my case at least lead to all sorts of problems - let's face it, PTE does have trouble keeping track of components if they get moved around (but that's rather another issue), and so as an intuitive worker I do have to discipline myself to stay tidy! I keep insisting to my students to look after their 'housekeeping' too, and to stick to a simple system along those lines, and mostly they don't get into a mess if they do...

In any case, I may well want to use my pics more than once, and I do like the bold device, if only it were a bit more consistent...

Thanks in anticipation!

PhotoFlora

Hi Photoflora,

I have followed this topic with interest and was on the point of writing that it cannot happen. And then...

I opened the project that I am currently working on and noticed that four images, which have been used as Main images, are not showing as emboldened. See screenshot below. The four slides in question are nos.40-43. I have never seen this behaviour in v7.5 or earlier.

Those four images were dragged from the File List into the Slide List just like all the other main images. Why should those four be treated any differently? I am at a loss to understand this.

regards,

Peter

post-7090-0-48801400-1388578655_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

IMO this has been around since I started using the programme in 2007. I think everyone has got used to it & it's only when someone raises it again it is discussed. I just had a look at my last show which was composed of 3 background images with secondary images added via O&A. In the slide list none of the secondary images are emboldened, however, if I drag one of the secondary images into the slide list the bold appears. Nothing different from what I see. Another suggesting would be to change the text colour of the used secondary slide to denote it has been used? :unsure:/>/>

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-95392300-1388583553_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-42649000-1388583564_thumb.jp

Eric,

I agree that the lack of emboldening on secondary images has always been present. But the original poster also complained that images which had been emboldened subsequently lost the emboldenment. I had never seen that in any release prior to v8.0 but, as I described in my previous post, I can see this phenomenon on four slides in my latest project. I do not know whether they ever were emboldened but they are not now. And all four of them are Main Images - not secondary images. All the other Main Images are showing as emboldened but not these four.

There is a behaviour of PTE here that, if it is a bug, needs correcting.

regards,

Peter

DaveGee, thanks!

I maybe wasn't clear enough in the first part of my post...? (The second half Gary has appreciated exactly - see my reply - so I reckon that settles that bit. Please Igor...)

I'm hoping someone knows what happens to cause slides that have been 'emboldened' (good word that! smile.gif/> ) by insertion into the time line (as main objects of course) to become 'un-emboldened' dry.gif/> , although they are still part of the (main) sequence. As I said, it seems to happen to sequences that have had a 'history' - is it maybe a change of project name? I don't know and prefer not to guess - I'm requesting an authoritative answer after all...

As far as putting used pics into another sub-folder, I'd be very reluctant to do this. I have been a fan of Barry Beckham's 'four-folder' system ever since I started (who's counting how long?) For clarity, I mean folders for: 1. sounds, 2. projects, 3. raw image storage and 4. pictures for show (and maybe a fifth one for documents like the script and any research info.).

To complicate this system with a sub-folder for used pictures might in my case at least lead to all sorts of problems - let's face it, PTE does have trouble keeping track of components if they get moved around (but that's rather another issue), and so as an intuitive worker I do have to discipline myself to stay tidy! I keep insisting to my students to look after their 'housekeeping' too, and to stick to a simple system along those lines, and mostly they don't get into a mess if they do...

In any case, I may well want to use my pics more than once, and I do like the bold device, if only it were a bit more consistent...

Thanks in anticipation!

PhotoFlora

I have never seen Main Images "un-embolden" themselves but if Peter has seen that behaviour then obviously you have confirmation of some sort of problem.

It's not something that really worries me - it's not part of my workflow, most of my images being introduced via O&A - but now that you have mentioned it, I'll look out for it.

DG

Eric,

I agree that the lack of emboldening on secondary images has always been present. But the original poster also complained that images which had been emboldened subsequently lost the emboldenment. I had never seen that in any release prior to v8.0 but, as I described in my previous post, I can see this phenomenon on four slides in my latest project. I do not know whether they ever were emboldened but they are not now. And all four of them are Main Images - not secondary images. All the other Main Images are showing as emboldened but not these four.

There is a behaviour of PTE here that, if it is a bug, needs correcting.

regards,

Peter

Hello all!

Thanks for your responses - Reassuring to know that several of you now confirm this - I feel a bit like the kid who saw Santa, and finally got everyone to believe him! :)

Seriously though, it would be good (and useful) to get to the bottom of this little mystery. I think possibly we need the help of the programmers to explain it and maybe, if it is just a bug, sort it out. I have noticed the problem for quite a long time now (several years/versions I believe). Perhaps our plea for another marker (I've suggested Bold Italic) for pics entered via O&A could be answered at the same time. So as I said, "Pretty Please Igor"! :)

When I can put some more words together, I want to ask about the feasibility of PTE tracking down pictures that it thinks are 'lost' ('blue screens'). I know this issue has been discussed before, but perhaps someone could indicate to me what the latest conclusions on the subject were, please.

Thanks everyone for your supportive responses - much appreciated!

PhotoFlora

I have never seen Main Images "un-embolden" themselves but if Peter has seen that behaviour...

Dave,

Just to be absolutely clear on this: I have not seen images "un-embolden" themselves. What I have is four images, that I think should be emboldened, that aren't.

regards,

Peter

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have only come across this discussion since raising the same issue yesterday elsewhere.

I have been using PTE for many years now and NEVER experienced this issue till yesterday.

I have always relied quite heavily on the bold font for identifying unused images in my working folders.

Yesterday, quite out of the blue, practically every image lost its bold type face.

I did wonder if I had done something while trying to work out how to contract the time line view using a combination of guess work with function keys.

Given that both Dave and Peter have no solution It would appear that there is an issue requiring input from "he who knows all things PTE".

I'm surprised that this facility appears not to be used more than this topic suggests.

I would also like to see the Non Main Image being identified in some way.

Thanks in advance Igor (if you are listening!)

John