WnSoft Forums

New PC

tom95521

Costco has a Dell XPS 8700 on sale so I decided it was the best deal at the time (90 day return policy to local store). Medium performance graphics card GeForce GT 635 with 1 GB GDDR5 (maybe only GDDR3). When not creating PTE slideshows the computer will be on 24/7 and capture data from 8 IP cameras.

$750 (no monitor)

http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-8700-Desktop-%7c-Intel-Core-i7-%7c-1GB-Graphics.product.100082459.html

Not as powerful as Eric's or Lin's new computers but good enough for my requirements.

Tom

post-2058-0-62303700-1388803571_thumb.jp

post-2058-0-00093900-1388803580_thumb.jp

I only use left, right, and scroll wheel. Never really cared for the uber fancy models. I probably would not bother with a new computer except I need to be able to encode multiple video streams in parallel. I have an i7 ivy bridge LT but I don't want to leave it on 24/7.

Tom

I wanted a full size tower case for future hard drive expansion. Like many others on this forum I have purchased many computers. This is probably about computer number 15 for me (not including mobile devices). Starting with a Tandy TRS-80, then a kit built Heathkit H89. I had to save for a few months to buy the optional $250? 5 1/4" 100 KB floppy drive. My first computer with a hard drive was a 286 clone with a whopping 20 MB hard drive. Then a few 386, 486, and almost all the Pentium versions. Also a couple of Mac Minis and Macbook Pro.

I don't believe I have ever purchased an AMD CPU computer. Apparently they have some really nice CPUs with integrated GPUs that are used in the latest gaming consoles. I have always wondered how PTE would run with a newer AMD processor since the GPU has a very high speed bus with CPU and memory. Another thing to put on my wish list.

Looking forward to CES announcements.

smile.gif

Tom