WnSoft Forums

A Week in the High Sierra

cagney123

This adventure took place the second week of April, 2014. My dog Sammy is near the end of the line and I promised her I would take her to be in snow one more time. We live in New Mexico and Arizona...neither one has much snow. While in our shack in Arizona we are just three hundred miles from the High Sierra's in California. I read it had snowed so off we went. Had a terrific time for eight days and one very wonderful moment for me. While in deep woods in the middle of nowhere I crossed an old foot bridge over a small stream. I stopped to enjoy the view and looked down and saw on the railing, 2x4's, that two names had been carved...Ruel+Jan. Ruel is my great grandfather's given name. I've never known anyone with that name in this country, USA. To see it carved into an old bridge where few people go, no trail or road, was very exciting. It was a magical moment I'll always remember.
I hope you enjoy the show.

Jeff Lunt

Oh yes...it is posted on Slideshowclub.com

post-3112-0-16906000-1402418670_thumb.jp

post-3112-0-84389500-1402418691_thumb.jp

Hi Jeff, this brought back years of nostalgia. When I was a young pup I spent my every available hour in those mountains. I climbed Whitney multiple times and back in the late 50's and early 60's you didn't need a "permit" or have to sign-in and out or get on a waiting list. I worked summers as a wrangler for Brown's Cow Camp out of Monache Meadows and hoofed it scores of times between Kennedy Meadows and Monache Meadows back before there was a Jeep trail. In the early 60's I owned a little Aeronca Chief with a 60 hp "A" Continental engine and I flew many times into the forest air strip, fished the south fork of the Kern River for Golden Trout and had months of fond memories of the entire area. I suspect Sammy thoroughly enjoyed her soljourn and perhaps it won't be her last. I recently took my old dog Honey (14) to Bryce, Zion and Monument Valley. She loved it - sniffed out a cougar in Bryce Canyon Campground and was disappointed I wouldn't let her tree it - LOL. Thanks for an enjoyable memory!

PS - I see you have Street Atlas USA with the old yellow GPS receiver. Excellent choice!

Best regards,

Lin

Hey Lin...i made the mistake of replying on the review page...anyway...I use the Topo USA and enjoy it. I am often not in line with the graphic on the map, but it does give me a pretty good idea of where I am. It really comes in handy when I am on a rough road near American Indian land. I have found it really pays to make sure you don't cross borders unknowingly. Several years ago a pal of mine came out to visit...just after I had recovered enough from cancer to ride in the truck a bit. While we were returning from Durango he decided to get a six-pack of beer. I told him not to open it as we were driving and also going through Indian land. He told me I worry too much....but I got him to cool it. What a nut...in broad daylight he was going to drink while I drove. He just couldn't believe it was a big deal. I don't know what the Indian Police would have done...but I do know New Mexico has nothing but bad memories from drunk drivers and don't take a relaxed attitude with open containers in the car. Four days with a friend who comes to another state and wants to tell you how to live. I guess I'm venting. Thanks for stopping by.

Jeff

Thanks Mick...what a pleasant surprise...to wake up and see what is going on on the Forum. I am now going to take a look at your web site. Thanks for stopping by.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

I have never seen the country but I was there when watching you show. What it must be like to be in that space. Where I live I tell folk 90 mile in any direction and we fall of the edge.

I so enjoyed your zooms and vertical pans.

I hate to make a criticism but from a purely A.V. point of view The format changing really jarred while the full screen was just great.

Have you thought of finishing with Video of the road to match the video start.

Please excuse the A.V. criticism of a really enjoyable show.

Snapcam

Hi Snapcam...Yes, I do believe you are correct. I shot some video at the end but the focus wasn't great. The jarring part was my idea of staying with the soundtrack. I will see if the video I shot will work with the show and give it a try. Your comments are well received...don't worry. My skin isn't that thin...and thanks for taking the time to watch the show and comment on it. Thank you very much.

Jeff