WnSoft Forums

New Show...Inscription Rock Adventure

cagney123

I took this adventure a few years ago when I was still quite ill. I only had the trailer that is in the show for a year and a half. I like to travel light and as soon as I felt well enough I sold the trailer...I knew if I kept it I would destroy it on the roads I love...and I went back to my usual way of travel...very light...no stove or camp food, just a few power bars and water. As I look at this show I realize I miss that little trailer quite a bit.

Hi Jeff,

Great soljourn through El Morro and Inscription Rock. I love that little teardrop camper - it's perfect to keep the rain off if the weather turns and light enough to get it into places which would destroy conventional trailers. I've seen some which are designed for off-roading with super heavyweight suspensions and big, stong tires and wheels. Sorry about the "pigs" who left the mess in the campground. They were only feet from that dumpster - what nonsense to leave that mess behind....

Sammy appeared to be thoroughly enjoying herself. Did she sleep in the bed too? I took an 8,000 mile plus trip across the US in 2010 after my wife Sherry died. I pulled a 21 foot trailer and many times wished I had a little one like your teardrop. I had a couple pups with me - about 150 pounds between the two of them of lab mix mutt and big pit dog and it was crowded in the bed but still lots of fun. I lost a wheel at the New York/Pennsylvania border and ended up having to have both axles, all four wheels, brakes and such replaced. Cost me more than I had with me. I had to borrow money from a friend in California to bail me out and wait three weeks while they ordered upgraded axles and such but finally got it all back together. There's lots to be said for simplicity, that's for sure. I'm moving to Cimarron later this year - probably six months or so. Colorado is getting too crowded for me.

Enjoyed your show as usual. Thanks!

Lin

Hey Lin...

Glad you enjoyed the show. I like it when I post a show and you tell me a terrific story. We make a good team.

I looked long and hard at the off road small trailers. I just couldn't afford one...plus most of them look awful heavy and really aren't much more than a tent on

wheels...OK...they are better than that, but light they aren't.

I had a woman come up to me while I was parked at El Morro and wanting to take a look inside my trailer. I told her to stick her head in and look left and see the bedroom and look right and see the kitchen and that was my tour. It actually had a queen sized bed with lamps and stereo overhead. I sleep on a cot in my Arizona home. Sammy hated the trailer and I would have to force her to come in. She hates the heat so I would let her sleep out most of the time. She spent about a year in bed with me when I was flat on my back with cancer. She was a real joy during that time. She would hop into bed all excited and then lay down with her back to mine and not move at all unless I gave her a hug and then she would get all frisky. .

Cimarron eh? I am not sure I have ever been there. When I was young I would head north thinking I would investigate northern NM but as soon as I saw the San Juans or the Sangre De Cristo Mts. I would keep going north. Hope your new digs work out great.

Thanks again for sharing a fun story.

Jeff

Nice slideshow. I did not know about Inscription Rock or El Morrow. It's amazing how people 150+ years ago were able to travel long distances without modern transportation like cars, planes, etc.

Lin leaving Colorado? I am thinking about leaving California when I retire.

Tom

Thanks Tom...people were very tough in those days. Glad the show was something new for you. I know you mentioned this for Lin, but where might you go for retirement?

Jeff

My first choice would be Isle of Man (low taxes, no national debt) but since I'm a US citizen and only 1/2 Irish I don't think I could immigrate there. My second choice and probably where i will end up is about 200 miles to the North somewhere along the coast of Oregon. I have to live close to the sea for some unknown reason. My brother moved to Albuquerque and I have visited Los Alamos but I think it's too dry. I can handle earthquakes and tsunamis but forest fires scare me to death.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

My first choice would be Isle of Man (low taxes, no national debt) but since I'm a US citizen and only 1/2 Irish I don't think I could immigrate there. My second choice and probably where i will end up is about 200 miles to the North somewhere along the coast of Oregon. I have to live close to the sea for some unknown reason. My brother moved to Albuquerque and I have visited Los Alamos but I think it's too dry. I can handle earthquakes and tsunamis but forest fires scare me to death.

Tom

Hi Tom although the IOM is between England & Ireland in the middle of the Irish Sea, it is part of the UK. Their tax system is under scrutiny by George Osbourne our chancellor of the exchequer at present. We spent 3 weeks there storm-bound back in 1996 when we were supposed to be en route to Scotland. Nice place but I certainly wouldn't want to live there.

See http://www.mediafire.com/watch/t7ly6p7fxws7t0l/a_A_taste_of_ramsea.mp4

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Hey Tom...you are correct in thinking ABQ is too dry. If you need to be near water this isn't the place. Sunshine, good weather, and great Mexican food is what this area is all about. I still love the food after 40 years in the area. And the best thing of all is...you can sit outside without mosquitoes eating with you. No biting flies either. That is why there are no screened in porches here. And it is why I don't need a tent most of the time here in the southwest...no bugs and few rainy days.

A school chum of mine lives in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Marquette is a college town right on Lake Superior. Not sure about the taxes, but it seems like a great place to live if you like water and a town that isn't too big.

Anyway, when you mentioned water I automatically thought of good old Michigan.

Whatever you choose...personally I've been to Oregon and the coastline from Vancouver Island all the way down to San Diego and into Mexico and think the coast is a wonderful area. Vancouver Island was terrific for me in my backpacking days.

Oh well, I guess I am rambling. Enjoy your retirement wherever you end up.

All the best,

Jeff

Hi Eric and Jeff,

Enjoyed the video from the IOM. Now I want to have scallops for dinner. I really like to watch changing weather (wind/rain). Clouds are fascinating to watch using time lapse photography. So now my ideal retirement location would have fast internet, lots of winter storms (no snow), temperature range 0-23C, and not too crowded. A bonus would be watching boats entering the harbor.

Tom

Depoe Bay

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

We also had a few hairy moments on our way across the Golfe de Lyon in the South of France, almost lost the boat in St Cyprian and fought through 20ft surf to get into the harbour in Fuentes. Happy days.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. PS F10 in the harbour in pic 3

post-5560-0-63524200-1402949790_thumb.jp post-5560-0-81592900-1402949838_thumb.jp post-5560-0-65260000-1402949867_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

We also had a few hairy moments on our way across the Golfe de Lyon in the South of France, almost lost the boat in St Cyprian and fought through 20ft surf to get into the harbour in Fuentes. Happy days.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. PS F10 in the harbour in pic 3

attachicon.gifhairy moment past.jpg attachicon.gifhm2.jpg attachicon.gifhm3.jpg

My Memory played tricks, it was Port Leucat in the GDL where we surfed through the entrance, M had her back to the bow & I told her not to look. A group of fishermen on the breakwater looked on in amazement, but Magic Moods got us through. The picture shows the entrance the day after, flat calm.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Sorry to pirate your thread Jeff.

post-5560-0-42280700-1402950585_thumb.jp

Eric, You sure know your way around sailboats.

Lin, If I remember that day correctly we had at least 4 to 6 hours notice before the tsunami hit the west coast. Not sure what the guy on the boat was planning to do but he should have taken his boat out to sea hours earlier or not been on the boat.

Tom