WnSoft Forums

Safe Executable for Internet

davegee

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

Works with the RUN notice on both shows, W7. Don't think I'd have the patience to go through all that for a 12 show menu. Maybe you should write a disseration for the manual :wacko:

Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-31953900-1405535490_thumb.jp

I thought we figured this out a couple of months ago in a different thread. From your menu slideshow you just run the .pteshow file instead of the .exe?

Tom

A question - why did you put all of the files in one folder? My first instinct would be to keep the three folder structure. Just asking.

Dave,

I put everything in the one folder because I have avoided using full path and file name on the Run Application or Open File action. So, if I load a USB thumb drive with that folder and take that to two different laptops where the drive is F: on one and G: on the other, there should be no conflicts. At least, that's my understanding of the theory behind all this.

Peter

I thought we figured this out a couple of months ago in a different thread. From your menu slideshow you just run the .pteshow file instead of the .exe?

Tom,

I cannot launch a .ptshow file in Explorer by double-clicking it, so I didn't think I would be able to launch a .ptshow from within a different .ptshow.

Everybody,

Please bear in mind that I carried out this test solely to establish the truth or otherwise of yachtsman1's statement about it being "difficult, if not impossible". I do not use "Safe Executable" format in my work. Therefore I have no requirement to get to the bottom of problems in this area.

Peter

Tom,

I cannot launch a .ptshow file in Explorer by double-clicking it, so I didn't think I would be able to launch a .ptshow from within a different .ptshow.

Everybody,

Please bear in mind that I carried out this test solely to establish the truth or otherwise of yachtsman1's statement about it being "difficult, if not impossible". I do not use "Safe Executable" format in my work. Therefore I have no requirement to get to the bottom of problems in this area.

Running Safe Executable slideshows from a menu/button action :

* Run Application action is required if the Safe Executable slide show is not of the same exact build/version of the menu.exe show. The filename to launch is the Slideshow.exe file .... not the Slideshow.ptshow file. Both Safe Executable files (EXE and PTSHOW) must be included and remain together in you rmenu.exe presentation folder.

* Run Slideshow action is possible if the Safe Executable slide show is of the same exact build/version as the menu.exe show.The filename to launch is the Slideshow.ptshow file .... not the Slideshow.exe file. Only the Slideshow.ptshow file need be included in your presentation folder with your menu.exe. The Safe Executable Slideshow.exe file is not needed and therefore does not require to be distributed because the menu.exe is the engine that launches the Slideshow.ptshow file.

The Run Slideshow senerio with the menu.exe could have several ptshow files and no other additional exe files need be supplied ... again, as long as all show files are built with the same exact version. This can keep your presentation package right tidy because there is only one EXE file available to execute without confusion.

Here is a short example that shows a single signed player .exe and 2 .ptshow files. I am going to submit a suggestion that Igor adds a new publish option for just the .ptshow data files. It make things easier than publishing 2 safe for internet shows and then selecting only the files we need.

Menu.zip

Tom

Tom,

Personally I would like to see a PTE player application we could install on our PC and then just send data slideshows (like adobe acrobat reader). Then all of the AV scanners should not have a problem with the files (since there is no .exe code in the file). The problem with this method is sharing slideshows with relatives that have no idea how to install the player.

Who knows, maybe 4K video will be common in the future and the .exe slideshow format will gradually fade away?

Tom

We kinda already have this player in a round about - not your normal way. Since you are familiar with the PteViewer5.exe ... its possible to launch/use just the ptshow file with it. The only problem ... both files must share the same filename ( less extention) and be of the same build/version. I will leave that tidbit as food for thought.

As for EXE fading away ...I would hope the 4K video features has button/file execution actions (like interactive) by then.