WnSoft Forums

TV and/or Projection?

JEB

Hi,

A facility for the conversion from full screen (projection) to TV friendly version of PTE sequences.

I have absolutely no idea, nor am I particularly interested, in how this can be achieved but I do believe that it would be desirable if not essential that it is achieved.

I know there are work-arounds (BUT THAT IS ALL THEY ARE). I acknowledge that certain variables such as TV screen sizes will always exist and will need to be accepted. More than likely workflow will need to change.

With the increased use of TV as a method of showing our work, more of us I suspect, have this in mind from the outset and perhaps build our shows accordingly. There will however, at least for the foreseeable future, often be a need for both versions.

I would suggest that if PTE is going to survive it must address issues such as this.

John

Guest Yachtsman1

In my circumstances I addressed this issue almost 3 years ago. Most modern TV's are 16-9 aspect ratio which equates to a slide size of 1920 x 1080 pixels which gives an acceptable image on my 32" TV. I suspect this may need to be increased with the 56inch plus sets. I have a camera that I can set to take pictures at 16-9 AR, which is becoming more common with other makes, which cuts down cropping, & with PTE we have TV safe zone, which due to different AR TV's, is used less that the percentage setting. I very rarely use my TV to show work as I have a 24inch monitor on my work station & a couple of projectors for public displays.

Yachtsman1.

John,

What format of file are playing back on your TV? When I first got my flat-screen, digital TV I ran a test using an MP4 video file created with PTE. The test file was simply a coloured rectangle of 1920x1080 pixels with a 5 pixel inside stroke of a contrasting colour applied via Photoshop. When I played this back, off a USB memory stick through the in-built USB port and in-built media player, there was no loss of this coloured border. With this method, TV safe zone is an irrelevance on my TV, and may also be so on yours. The visual quality of the MP4 viewed on the TV compares very favourably with that of the EXE viewed on the PC monitor, provided there is not too much animation in the sequence.

Hi,

You may notice I have made a related post under the "Styles" part of the Forum. I think the issue perhaps is my desire to make DVD's for distribution to a number of people. Apart from the fact that on a personal note I don't have a TV with a USB port. I've promised myself that I will upgrade once the valves go!! (As a Yorkshireman Peter you should understand my position).

John

Guest Yachtsman1

If you want to make your DVD fit various TV aspect ratios, don't tick "Fix size of slide in pixels, the only down side will be it will look rubbish on a 56inch 16-9AR TV if you sized your images at 1920x1080 pixels.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-82109000-1422376119_thumb.jp

The resolution of images in a project converted to DVD will have no bearing on the quality of the final product on the TV screen.

The Project Resolution will be converted to fit 768x576 (PAL) for the DVD and then Interpolated/Upscaled to 1920x1080 by the Player.

A HD TV has a resolution of 1920x1080 regardless of physical size (32" -----70") and the 768x576 DVD Video will get progressively worse as the physical screen size increases if the viewing distance remains the same.

The ORIGINAL resolution (1920x1080) is not recovered when the DVD is Played. For best results use an Upscaling DVD Player or a BluRay Player.

DG

P.S. TV Safe Zone in PTE is out of date. The % of the image (last time I tried it) was suitable for old 4:3 TVs and the % applicable to Flat Screen TVs is now considerably higher - around 90%.

Hi,

Just when I thought I was catching up with technology I find myself stumbling back to earth!

Can I just ask for confirmation that my understanding of what has been said is correct.

Firstly - my principle reason for this post is that I have an occasional need to distribute sequences to multiple sources for viewing on their TV. I do not know what equipment they have but make the assumption that they have a DVD player. Some of these people will have limited technical knowledge (even less than I have!).

For several years now I have been using 16x9 (Camera and Monitor).

I understand that today the TV Safe Zone of PTE is outdated (always understood it to be arbitrary) largely due to the changes in aspect ratio and size of modern TVs.

It seems to me that conventional DVD is limited. I was not aware of the resolution conversion associated with PAL so now see where limitations exist there, particularly with an increase of physical screen size.

If I understand it properly this limitation can to some degree be improved with an Upscaling DVD Player or a BluRay Player. If this is so would a DVD burned in the conventional way (I use PTE Video Builder) work on an Upscaling DVD Player? I assume not on a BluRay Player? Presumably I would need a BluRay Burner? In any event I can't assume that all my “clients” will have a BluRay Player. I’m looking for the most common denominator.

The option of MP4 has been discussed and seems to me to be interesting. However, as I understand it this requires a USB stick or would it be possible to play it through a conventional DVD player in which a disc containing the MP4 file has been burned? One assumption I can make is that most people will have a more up to dat TV than I have so probably have a USB port

I would very much appreciate your views on my interpretation of what has been said to date.

Regards

John

John,

A BluRay player will play BluRay discs and DVDs. To burn a BluRay disc requires a BluRay burner and a supply of blank BluRay discs. From what you have previously written, you already have a DVD burner and a supply of blank DVD discs. As far as I know, any DVD that you burn should play in both a DVD player and a BluRay player.

John,

In your present circumstances an answer to your "problems" (in part) would be to get a BluRay Player.

Two reasons:

Firstly, a BluRay Player connected to your existing TV via HDMI would play ordinary DVDs (Upscaled - better quality) as well as BluRay Discs.

Secondly, most (if not all) BR Players have a USB port which would allow you to use a Memory Key with your existing TV via HDMI.

My Sony BR Player cost around £100 and gives me all the facilities I need with a second TV (not my main TV). I do not have any BR Discs.

DG

Edited: PGA and I must have been typing at the same time.

the noble Scotsman needs to dig in his pockets and get new tv/computor hdmi compatible equipment

and possibly up to date dvd player

when I got my 37" Panasonic, the wife could read Dave's email plain as can be from 12 ft -- if I am interested in a show I send it to the tv and view from 16 ft -

ken B)

Hi,

I just thought I should update you.

I have lashed out on a BluRay player.

I must say that the difference in quality of my DVD's when played through this is most satisfactory. It also has a USB port which enables me to play MP4. Again I'm very pleased with the results. This (MP4) I suspect is going to be the way forward for me as far as my own particular method of viewing my sequences on TV is concerned.

As far as bulk distribution of sequences to those who wish them will probably remain with DVD.

Thank you all for your input.

Kind regards

John